BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Model S faster than Taycan?

06-12-2023, 03:30 PM   #23
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
But it’s boring as shit, there’s no exhaust note, and the interior is a pile of trash. Anything 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds is more than fast enough for the street. Every car will be capable of 0-60 in 2 seconds in a few years. Considering how terrible people are at driving, that’s not a good thing. At least the Taycan feels like you’re driving a sports car and has a nice interior, though I still hate all of the screens in these things.
I've had some fun cars. Just got out of a 2020 M5. I am really enjoying my trash interior. I don't miss having a synthetic exhaust/engine sound at all like the M5 had. I look forward to driving the S Plaid more than any previous car.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      06-12-2023, 07:40 PM   #24
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

What's the headline or takeaway here because I'm not impressed. That car has over 1,000hp and all it did was 7:25?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 10:17 PM   #25
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
What's the headline or takeaway here because I'm not impressed. That car has over 1,000hp and all it did was 7:25?
Currently the fastest EV around the ring, until the Nevera sets an official time. 4th quickest time for a sedan, including ICE.

Or until this gets released, with its lap time. Porsche first tri-motor EV.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...o-gt-spy-shots
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 05:34 AM   #26
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
For the weight, and the theory that ev’s can’t handle, it is impressive.

Take into the fact it beat the m5 competition. A car that went through generations and decades to evolve. It’s one of the true and one of the fastest family sedan luxury performance cars.

The plaid did it after a decade of evolution.
      06-13-2023, 06:46 AM   #27
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Porsche may be looking to retake the title

Porsche has once again been spotted testing a Taycan prototype fitted with elements normally seen on the automaker's GT sports cars.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...cv0AYhN9j8d6_0

We previously published spy shots of a prototype for an updated Taycan that should arrive later this year to mark the midway point in the electric sedan and wagon's lifecycle. However, the prototype shown here is for something very different.

There's no missing the new aerodynamic elements, such as the extended front splitter, chunky side skirts, rear diffuser, and rear wing. The front air curtains have also been sealed, suggesting the prototype might feature active shutters or new air channels hidden behind the front fascia.

Lars Kern has been seen behind the wheel at times, including during some of the Nürburgring testing, which also points to the prototype as a new high-performance Taycan variant. He is Porsche's hot shoe responsible for many of the automaker's official lap times at the 'Ring, and he was the driver of the Taycan Turbo S that last summer clocked a 7:33.35 lap time at the German racetrack. Tesla has since posted a time of 7:25.231 with a Model S Plaid equipped with its available Track Package, setting the current lap record for a production EV.

Porsche hasn't said whether it plans to introduce faster versions of the Taycan, though rumors have held that a more powerful three-motor variant designed to match not only Tesla's Plaid but also Lucid's Air Sapphire is in the pipeline. Such a variant could be badged a Taycan Turbo GT, similar to the Cayenne Turbo GT's top grade.

Performance in the Taycan currently tops out with the Turbo S grade whose output registers at 616 hp (750 hp temporarily), or enough for 0-60 mph acceleration in 2.6 seconds and a top speed of around 162 mph. Rumors point to the potential new Taycan range topper packing as much as 1,000 hp, which might drop the 0-60 mph time closer to 2.0 seconds and raise the top speed to around 200 mph.

The mid-cycle update will be introduced across the Taycan range and include more advanced matrix LED headlights with a brighter, more precise light pattern. An updated infotainment system is also likely.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gblansten1976.50
      06-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #28
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
that's true!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 02:35 PM   #29
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
For the weight, and the theory that ev’s can’t handle, it is impressive.

Take into the fact it beat the m5 competition. A car that went through generations and decades to evolve. It’s one of the true and one of the fastest family sedan luxury performance cars.

The plaid did it after a decade of evolution.
its popularity speaks for itself, every other manufacturer has been playing catch up, competition and choices are good for the consumer!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 06:29 PM   #30
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
its popularity speaks for itself, every other manufacturer has been playing catch up, competition and choices are good for the consumer!
They can try to catch up but they won't. Not anytime soon.

The taycan is like a model 3 comparing to a plaid. Sure it has a "better" interior, or better driving dynamics, "better" build quality yada yada but i suppose that's where you pay the premium. For all those things while performance is secondary.

People say EV's are a one trick pony and it can only go fast straight yet not impressed with something like a plaid lol. Like the whole idea IS TO have the fastest production car on the road. Yeah i know people will say the sapphire. Where is it? How much is it? Is porsche going to put out their own version of the plaid in the taycan with over 1000hp? Who knows. How much? I'm guessing about the same price, or even more than the sapphire. Those are not realistic to most people.

Meanwhile with all these tesla's running around. Mid 11 second performances out there. Mid 10 second MS long ranges out there. Then your low 9 second plaids are running around crushing everything in sight.

Yes there is absolutely an audience for that lol. ICE performance cars are going to become more for weekend recreational usage sooner than we think. You'll only want to drive your ICE car just to have some noise in your life, without ever wanting to use it for performance. Your performance is your EV.

Soon.....
      06-13-2023, 06:58 PM   #31
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:

The taycan is like a model 3 comparing to a plaid. Sure it has a "better" interior, or better driving dynamics, "better" build quality yada yada but i suppose that's where you pay the premium. For all those things while performance is secondary.

People say EV's are a one trick pony and it can only go fast straight yet not impressed with something like a plaid lol. Like the whole idea IS TO have the fastest production car on the road. Yeah i know people will say the sapphire. Where is it? How much is it? Is porsche going to put out their own version of the plaid in the taycan with over 1000hp? Who knows. How much? I'm guessing about the same price, or even more than the sapphire. Those are not realistic to most people.

Meanwhile with all these tesla's running around. Mid 11 second performances out there. Mid 10 second MS long ranges out there. Then your low 9 second plaids are running around crushing everything in sight.

Yes there is absolutely an audience for that lol. ICE performance cars are going to become more for weekend recreational usage sooner than we think. You'll only want to drive your ICE car just to have some noise in your life, without ever wanting to use it for performance. Your performance is your EV.

Soon.....
Yawn X 20
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 10:40 PM   #32
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:

Soon.....
Jesus man. Put the crack pipe down.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 10:45 PM   #33
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Soon.....
Stop it. You sound real crazy right now. And I'm not an EV hater either. I have a MYP (my second) and like it well enough. Also eyeing an R1S for my wife. There will always be a use case for a petrol powered car, always. No chance I'm ditching my GT car for an EV.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2023, 04:26 AM   #34
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Stop it. You sound real crazy right now. And I'm not an EV hater either. I have a MYP (my second) and like it well enough. Also eyeing an R1S for my wife. There will always be a use case for a petrol powered car, always. No chance I'm ditching my GT car for an EV.
Who said that?

I said in the future ICE cars will be for recreational use only. You drive you EV monday-friday, enjoy your ICE car on the weekend.

You're coming to conclusions based on events you know of today. We all know how fast technology advances. Let's see the mindset in 5-10 years.

Did you really think back in 2015 or so the tesla model s would be the fastest, most sought after car in less than 10 years from then? Probably not.

Crazy how people can change their opinions on such things lol.
      06-14-2023, 06:34 AM   #35
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Who said that?

I said in the future ICE cars will be for recreational use only. You drive you EV monday-friday, enjoy your ICE car on the weekend.

You're coming to conclusions based on events you know of today. We all know how fast technology advances. Let's see the mindset in 5-10 years.

Did you really think back in 2015 or so the tesla model s would be the fastest, most sought after car in less than 10 years from then? Probably not.

And you're coming to conclusions based on what you think will happen in the future. You're making these wild, unsubstantiated claims that sound very fanboish. The Tesla Model S is most sought after by who? Last I checked through Q1 that's the Ford F-series if you look at sales data. The Taycan is like a Model 3? What? The Turbo S ran a 7:33.xx last summer. Hardly in Model 3 territory and Porsche is gearing up for another run at it.

Even if the Plaid is faster, some people still don't or won't care. I've been saying it for years and it still holds true today: we're a ways off from large scale EV adoption. There are many hurdles to clear to get there and that's not happening in short order. Like I said, just chill. The hype and fervor just sounds silly.
      06-14-2023, 06:35 AM   #36
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Who said that?

How is it the "most sought after car"?
      06-14-2023, 07:53 AM   #37
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And you're coming to conclusions based on what you think will happen in the future. You're making these wild, unsubstantiated claims that sound very fanboish. The Tesla Model S is most sought after by who? Last I checked through Q1 that's the Ford F-series if you look at sales data. The Taycan is like a Model 3? What? The Turbo S ran a 7:33.xx last summer. Hardly in Model 3 territory and Porsche is gearing up for another run at it.

Even if the Plaid is faster, some people still don't or won't care. I've been saying it for years and it still holds true today: we're a ways off from large scale EV adoption. There are many hurdles to clear to get there and that's not happening in short order. Like I said, just chill. The hype and fervor just sounds silly.

My evidence is stronger than yours.

Cars are being discontinued or converted to ev.

Engines being dropped, small displacement hybrid engines are here, will soon transition to ev.

Mandates for car makers are 2030-2035. Car makers mentioning 80% of their fleet to be ev by 2030 etc.

So it’s not what I think what will happen in the future, those are the facts lol

All you guys can do is assume they’ll change it and stop the “ban or mandates “.
      06-14-2023, 07:54 AM   #38
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
How is it the "most sought after car"?
It’s the gold standard for straight line performance.

Everyone wants to race is as progress of how fast their ice car is.

People are afraid of it.

People all lust over it at car meets. Yes I’ve actually seen it.
      06-14-2023, 09:10 AM   #39
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:

People are afraid of it.

Maybe by kids, but I wouldn't say it's sought after. Porsche GT3's are sought after. I could buy a Plaid tomorrow based on availability.
      06-14-2023, 09:17 AM   #40
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Who said that?

Yawn X 21
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 09:18 AM   #41
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:

People are afraid of it.

Yawn X22
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 09:21 AM   #42
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:

Bro, your wasting your time with the king clown. Better off running as fast as you can into a brick wall or have someone kick you in the nuts. Lol. He is Teddy Ruxpin on steroids!!!
Appreciate 3
kyriian884.50
      06-14-2023, 09:26 AM   #43
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Weird how the “most sought after car” lost $30-40k in value in a single year. Soon to be a $50k car by next year. Good resale! Must be in high demand. Basically a GT3.
Appreciate 2
Burrcold5322.50
      06-14-2023, 09:37 AM   #44
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Maybe by kids, but I wouldn't say it's sought after. Porsche GT3's are sought after. I could buy a Plaid tomorrow based on availability.
The gt3 is a small market.

The plaid is almost 100k cheaper and still faster.

Don’t forget the generation that these ev’s appeal to. Most of them would pick a plaid over a gt3 if given the choice.