BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Clunking from gas tank when full?

09-08-2024, 10:21 PM   #1
jihong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Clunking from gas tank when full?

I've been experiencing a knocking or clunking sound coming from the rear (sounds like gas tank) any time I fill up to full. I hear it only at slow speeds and even when parked and engine idling. Brought it to dealer who said they didn't have the technicians to pinpoint the sound, even though they were able to replicate it and to bring it back later when the right technicians were in?

I've found similar issues on other forums for different vehicles, but none found the cause or solution.

Anyone else experiencing this or know what the cause and fix is?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 06:20 PM   #2
a0krn
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihong View Post
I've been experiencing a knocking or clunking sound coming from the rear (sounds like gas tank) any time I fill up to full. I hear it only at slow speeds and even when parked and engine idling. Brought it to dealer who said they didn't have the technicians to pinpoint the sound, even though they were able to replicate it and to bring it back later when the right technicians were in?

I've found similar issues on other forums for different vehicles, but none found the cause or solution.

Anyone else experiencing this or know what the cause and fix is?
X1 has some suspension issues on certain builds. I believe a full tank of gas might increase the noises you’re hearing due to the weight. Maybe add so heavy objects in the truck to see if you can heart it more? Going over speed bumps or doing a u turn might also recreate the noise.

Have a friend drive your car while you’re in the truck might help locate the sound.

But definitely not normal. Do update us!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:57 AM   #3
jihong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Don't think it's a suspension issue as it makes the clunking/knocking noise even when parked and creeping forward and reverse. Haven't had an opportunity to bring it back in for service again, but will update if I get around to it, guessing it's not a common problem for the X1?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:26 AM   #4
JAYtheVET
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 X23d MSport

Garage List
I've heard a clunking from that area as well but thought it was my air freshener in the back passenger door moving around. Looks like I'll have to investigate as well.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:22 AM   #5
hpux1560
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1 M Sport

yes, this is happening to me. seems to happen when overfull?
Appreciate 0