BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 'Battery hold' mode experiences

12-24-2023, 12:30 PM   #1
Hemichromis
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 25E

'Battery hold' mode experiences

Hi

I have a current X1 25e and do make use of its ability to charge it's battery on longer trips.

I am due to replace it next year but I know that now the current PHEVs can no longer charge from ICE and just have a 'battery hold' function.

Could someone who has a hybrid with the battery hold function tell me of their experiences please.

I specifically want to know how the car behaves, is it like a standard hybrid where the engine will turn on and off, using EV at low throttle inputs?

What is your perception of fuel economy while using this mode?

Thanks for any help you can give me. The lack of a charging mode is making me look at non BMW alternatives!

James
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 04:39 PM   #2
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 3.0e u11

30e owner here.
Battery recharging via ICE is very inefficient. Electric mileage you get doesnt compensate the extrafuel you burn. Youd be better off just by letting the ICE ppwer the car.

I use the battery hold function when i believe i can outsmart the system, not because I am smarter, but because i know my needs.
Example. Long trip with 2 urban areas halfway and then urban area in my destination, with charger available at my destination.

I drive in my home area in Electric (semi urban) then battery hold as soon as i hit the highway, then Electric for the 2 urban detours to pick people, then battery hold till close to my final destination, then swithching to electric aiming for a 5km electrical range on arrival.
      12-24-2023, 04:45 PM   #3
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 3.0e u11

Quote:
Originally Posted by U11sirgawain View Post
30e owner here.
Battery recharging via ICE is very inefficient. Electric mileage you get doesnt compensate the extrafuel you burn. Youd be better off just by letting the ICE ppwer the car.

I use the battery hold function when i believe i can outsmart the system, not because I am smarter, but because i know my needs.
Example. Long trip with 2 urban areas halfway and then urban area in my destination, with charger available at my destination.

I drive in my home area in Electric (semi urban) then battery hold as soon as i hit the highway, then Electric for the 2 urban detours to pick people, then battery hold till close to my final destination, then swithching to electric aiming for a 5km electrical range on arrival.
Summary: there is no point on discarding the car because not being able to significantly recharge by increasing load on ICE. However it does normally recharge as well as regenerate a tiny bit, as car brain believes is appropriate.
      12-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #4
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

We mostly use ours locally so don’t often use the hold but do on occasions when we use the 25e for a longer run. Typically then we use the hold for the motorway portion of the journey and then turn it off for the lower speed areas at either end of the route.

Works well and gives the engine a bit of a run. MPG then is 45-60mpg ish for those journeys as opposed to 400+mpg normally. Best month we have had is 800mpg where the engine was almost un-used.

If the vast majority of your journeys are sub 40miles the PHEVs are great, go longer a lot and some diesel / EVs might be a better choice.
Appreciate 1