BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 2 seniors sharing X1, how to link 2 keys and 2 phones to 2 different profiles easily?

05-04-2023, 08:46 AM   #1
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

2 seniors sharing X1, how to link 2 keys and 2 phones to 2 different profiles easily?

please help out a couple of seniors before they have to resort to asking the CA or the Genius

so the X1 came with 2 keys and 1 white key card

they have two iPhones(both 14 Pro)

how can the 2 keys and 2 phones be linked to 2 different profiles so that when each gets into the X1, the car will automatically sync to whichever phone or key is in the car and adjust settings(including seats/mirrors) accordingly?

Thanks a bunch for your help! It is not fun when one is a senior and the new car happens to have such a steep or confusing learning process.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 08:54 AM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickysFirstBimmer View Post
please help out a couple of seniors before they have to resort to asking the CA or the Genius

so the X1 came with 2 keys and 1 white key card

they have two iPhones(both 14 Pro)

how can the 2 keys and 2 phones be linked to 2 different profiles so that when each gets into the X1, the car will automatically sync to whichever phone or key is in the car and adjust settings(including seats/mirrors) accordingly?

Thanks a bunch for your help! It is not fun when one is a senior and the new car happens to have such a steep or confusing learning process.
You each have to create a profile, with a user name and log in. You can do it on the BMW website.

Once you have done this, then, in iDrive, you can associate a fob with each profile. You should also be able to associate the card key with one of those profiles.

As for using your phone as the key, you need both key fobs in the car in order to set up the digital key in the My BMW app on your phone. The app and the car walk you thru the steps. Not sure if both profiles can do that.

Honestly, your best bet is to call the dealer, and make an appointment with the Genius for an "Encore Delivery". He/she will sit with you and do all of this, and show you lots of other features. It's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 09:08 AM   #3
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
You each have to create a profile, with a user name and log in. You can do it on the BMW website.

Once you have done this, then, in iDrive, you can associate a fob with each profile. You should also be able to associate the card key with one of those profiles.

As for using your phone as the key, you need both key fobs in the car in order to set up the digital key in the My BMW app on your phone. The app and the car walk you thru the steps. Not sure if both profiles can do that.

Honestly, your best bet is to call the dealer, and make an appointment with the Genius for an "Encore Delivery". He/she will sit with you and do all of this, and show you lots of other features. It's worth it.
Thank you!. That's the one thing that confused me. On my previous car, once you press the SET and 1(or 2, 3) button on the door, all the settings are automatically linked to whichever keyfob happens to be in the car. Go back in the car with the other keyfob and repeat for the 2nd setting... done in less than 5 seconds Guess I was spoiled.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 09:46 AM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickysFirstBimmer View Post
Thank you!. That's the one thing that confused me. On my previous car, once you press the SET and 1(or 2, 3) button on the door, all the settings are automatically linked to whichever keyfob happens to be in the car. Go back in the car with the other keyfob and repeat for the 2nd setting... done in less than 5 seconds Guess I was spoiled.
BMW's memory seats work differently, and the profile settings go way beyond seat settings. Ambient lighting, preset stations, display preferences, shortcut buttons.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 10:53 AM   #5
jejupods
Private
Rep
Drives: MY23 X3 M40i

Here's two great videos showing how to do it. The interface looks a bit different because the videos show iDrive 7 vs iDrive 8, but the principle is the same.

Prerequisite: You both need a My BMW account and the My BMW app.

My BMW account creation: https://login.bmwusa.com/oneid/#/reg...Flanguage%3Den

My BMW app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/my-bmw/id1519457734

1. Shows you how to log in with app - starts about 4:40 into the video which I time stamped for you (Edit: doesn't look like I can link time stamped video):

2. Shows how to add a second profile (with specifics on adding a second profile... like using the second person's keyfob to unlock the car).

No shame in having the genius help you! That's what they're there for

Last edited by jejupods; 05-04-2023 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2023, 08:25 PM   #6
prp7
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1

As others have mentioned, it's worth it to meet with a genius and set up your profiles. I have not figured out how to syn a phone with a profile. I'm tempted to delete my husband's phone from the car as apple car play just syns with whichever phone it wants.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 10:16 PM   #7
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp7 View Post
As others have mentioned, it's worth it to meet with a genius and set up your profiles. I have not figured out how to syn a phone with a profile. I'm tempted to delete my husband's phone from the car as apple car play just syns with whichever phone it wants.
It's been 7 months since I asked the question. I think I figured it out by myself a couple of weeks later.

Now when the car senses key #1 or iPhone #1 in the car, it automatically loads profile #1. Same for key #2 and iPhone #2, and profile #2 loads. Don't ask me how it was done because I honestly can't remember, but it was definitely not that hard and everything was in the menus.

Unfortunately, if iPhones(or key fob) #1 and #2 both enter the car simultaneously, the car seems to just randomly pick profile #1 or #2 to automatically load. The person in the driver's seat just has to manually switch to a different profile.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 10:50 AM   #8
selaing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

Set iPhone #1 to default

My wife and I share our X1, and I set my iPhone to default. so if both of us are in the car, my phone is first.
Appreciate 2
timesone184.50
tex26702424.50
      12-31-2023, 11:46 AM   #9
prp7
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1

I figured out this part. We always have the driver approach the car first so that the right profile comes up.

What we haven't figured out, is for the profile to match the iphone that links to apple car play. So, if I'm driving, I will approach the car first and the BMW will start with my profile. But it may still link my husband's phone to apple car play.

Anyone sort this out?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:47 PM   #10
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
I figured out this part. We always have the driver approach the car first so that the right profile comes up.

What we haven't figured out, is for the profile to match the iphone that links to apple car play. So, if I'm driving, I will approach the car first and the BMW will start with my profile. But it may still link my husband's phone to apple car play.

Anyone sort this out?
Wow ladies first etiquette!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:53 PM   #11
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesone View Post
Wow ladies first etiquette!

wait a minute. does that mean if Miss Daisy gets in the car first, the car will load her profile first, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 03:08 PM   #12
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilver.X1 View Post
wait a minute. does that mean if Miss Daisy gets in the car first, the car will load her profile first, right?
Maybe if ID8
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 07:27 PM   #13
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 U11

Before you jump in, this is something everyone should understand

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/pr...d-for-privacy/
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 06:57 PM   #14
10to2Driver
Rep
Drives: X1 2.3i 2022

Quote:

Anyone sort this out?
If you both keep your key fob in its own Faraday pouch, and only the driver takes their fob out of the pouch before approaching the car, then you can approach together - the car will unlock with the driver's profile. We don't use any other system to unlock, so I can't advise on those, but the above works fine.
Once in the car, if you want to use either Apple Carplay, or Android Auto, it should first ask you which phone you wish to use. I have an Android, my partner an Apple, and if we hit Media, to use a playlist rather than radio, both phones are presented on the screen, so we can pick either - irrespective of whichever driver profile is being used.
Appreciate 1
timesone184.50