BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 10 minutes after remote engine start, the AC continues to run after engine turns off?

01-03-2024, 11:06 AM   #1
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

10 minutes after remote engine start, the AC continues to run after engine turns off?

I use remote engine start quite often to cool off or warm up my X1 before getting in.

Yesterday, I was waiting to pick up a family member at the airport. I arrived on-time and walked into the terminal. Unfortunately, it appeared that their flight had been delayed for more than an hour. I got some coffee and walked around the terminal. After about 30 minutes, I decided to go back to the car and wait. As I approached the car, I remote started it as usual. I got in and sat inside.

After about 10 or 15 minutes, the engine turned itself off, which it was supposed to do. Both screens and the radio had already turned themselves off. However, I noticed that that the AC fan continued to run without the engine running.

I wanted to see what it was doing so I allowed it continue. The fan kept running for over 10 minutes. I turned on the engine because I didn't want the battery to die.

Was the AC fan supposed to do that?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 03:34 AM   #2
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Perhaps the fan you are hearing is the engine radiator cooling fan? If you were stationary with the engine running for 15minutes, there would be no natural airflow though the radiator, which would then get hot and so the electric radiator fan would automatically cut-in to cool it down.

On a very hot day after crawling through city traffic, parking, and switching the engine off, I have heard the radiator fan start-up on my X1, even when the car is locked. It typically runs for two to three minutes or so.
Appreciate 0