BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 10 Months of Ownership

08-29-2023, 11:30 AM   #1
YoungG
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.3i MSport Premier

10 Months of Ownership

I thought I would do a rare post of my experience after 10 months of owning my X1. It's now turned 8,000 miles and overall really pleased with the car.

My car is one of the UK launch models - X Drive 2.3i MSport Premier, meaning that in addition to the usual MSport specification it has 20 inch wheels, electric driver's seat and memory, sliding rear seats, sun protection glass and a tow bar. Colour is black sapphire metallic with high gloss black interior trim.

On the colour, while I like the black exterior it certainly shows up any stone chips from our fantastic UK roads. The black interior is a dust magnate!! I had no choice in either of these colours being a launch model, but never again!

The 8,000+ miles driven is on a mix of all road types in the UK from motorways to single track roads with passing places and the X1 handles all surfaces, corners, etc. really well - it drives more like a saloon than a SUV, certainly compared with my previous X3. I mainly drive in personal (comfort) mode and usually forget about efficient mode when on a longer journey. I play with sport occasionally!! Fuel consumption averages 35mpg (UK gallons) with worst 28mpg and best 45mpg - bit of a sad person in that I keep a spreadsheet for fuel consumption!! Fuel consumption is better than I expected. There is certainly plenty power when needed, whether from start or on kick-down when overtaking. The gearbox is okay - not as good as the 8 speed in the X3 - and now not really aware of a lag in the 'box finding the right gear when you are looking for a fast exit from a junction - perhaps the 3 software updates have improved matters.

Inside the car the driving position is spot-on for me and I find the sports seats really comfortable - I'm 6 feet+ tall. Having had leather seats in my previous 5 BMWs I am more than happy with the alcantara/sensatec combination in the X1 - feel warm when it's cold and don't burn you when the car's been standing in the sun for any time. All the controls are to hand and now used to the touchscreen and don't really miss the rotary controller. No technology gliches so far although it is OS8. Storage is all good although the central arm rest is only good for coins, pens, cards - it's still a pain that the opening is on the wrong side for a rhd car. The boot holds more than I expected - photo attached with all the gear packed for a recent holiday: 2 full sets of golf clubs, 2 golf trolleys (1 battery powered), 2 large suitcases, 3 boxes of food and drink, a folding chair and anything else my wife wanted to squeeze in, so pretty impressive and that's not just my packing skills!

My only contact with the dealership since purchase has been for the 2 factory recalls mentioned on here which were carried out at the same time. Despite being a new model there's been no contact from Sales to get feedback, but I guess ho hum they have my money! I am still surprised that 10 months on from launch there are so few X1's on the road, certainly around the Glasgow area and indeed further afield, but reading of some of the delays on here perhaps that's not surprising.

So, in summary I am pretty happy with my X1 - it still feels new with no rattles so far. It does what I need it to do. Hope this helps some of you waiting on your order.
Attached Images

Appreciate 13
      08-29-2023, 01:21 PM   #2
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungG View Post
The black interior is a dust magnate!!
I have a cat.

I have the black Alcantara seats in my X1.

which means its a giant dust magnet... way worse than black Sensatec seats..

(by the way, I cann't help but to rotate your photo because my neck hurts)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 04:05 PM   #3
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Review much appreciated !

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungG View Post

The 8,000+ miles driven is on a mix of all road types in the UK from motorways to single track roads with passing places and the X1 handles all surfaces, corners, etc. really well - it drives more like a saloon than a SUV, certainly compared with my previous X3. I mainly drive in personal (comfort) mode and usually forget about efficient mode when on a longer journey. I play with sport occasionally!!
So, in summary I am pretty happy with my X1 - it still feels new with no rattles so far. It does what I need it to do. Hope this helps some of you waiting on your order.
Thank you for sharing your detailed review of your X, based on your 10 months usage !

I'm curious about your impressions of the M Sport suspension. Do you notice any difference in ride and/or handling characteristics when you switch from Comfort mode to sport mode ?
      08-30-2023, 02:04 AM   #4
donnus
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 xdrive x line 23D

thank you for your report, I have also one of the early models a 23D x-line with now 17 500 km (11 000 miles approx)
coming form an x3 I share the same thoughts. I find the x1 a more harsh ride. the plastic seats are not great (eco leather of sorts)
the fuel consumption is great ! i am also one of those sad persons that keeps records in all its life my average is 19,7 km/lt. my x3 also 2.0 diesel was 15,5 km/lt
i am very pleased.
gearbox - no comment ! not up to x3 standards and it hesitates like crazy (italy is full of traffic circles, so we constantly slow down and pull off rapidly to join the traffic)
overall its a nice car that needs some design changes to be spot on (first thing i would do is to put in a zf 8 speed gbox)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 06:29 AM   #5
YoungG
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.3i MSport Premier

Thanks for the comments.

SpaceSilverX1 - thanks for sorting the photo. I did try to rotate and strangely it was a portrait photo so not sure why it posted landscape. Any tips appreciated.

DerekS - you do notice a difference with tighter handling and ride but I don't use it enough to provide an expert opinion. I'm sure others on here can help.

donnus - it would be great to have the 8 speed box but I can't see this happening.
Appreciate 0