BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > You guys getting manual or DCT?

01-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #45
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Super easy. I'm DD in the city. The anti rollback feature. I think there is anti stall as well. This plus auto Rev match makes it easy to focus on traffic instead of driving mechanics. The clutch is really light as mentioned. I think it makes it really fun in the city. Plenty of torque to poke around in 3rd if needed. 2nd is fine if you don't mind driving at high revs. I prefer staying in second
Yeah thats a great point, you can leave this thing in 2nd or 3rd, and not cause the gearing is long. Just cause there is so much torque and its pleasant experience to let the engine rev progressive to boost, which can't be said for every BMW turbo car. Better than the N55 and B58s i've owned in DCT and ZF, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #46
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Aside from the paint on my car I get the most props on the 6mt.

People always seem ready to be disappointed with the car assuming it's auto..I mean dct.

When I say it's 6speed people always smile and kind of get giddy about it.

Also the s55 sounds better with a 6mt.

And I'll bet a dollar they hold value better.

I also think if I went with a dct I'd have a few more speeding tickets as well.
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
      01-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #47
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Manual with Auto Solutions SSK did the trick for me. Shifts better than my 997.1 GT3 and about as good as my Shelby GT350R. I'm a fan of BMW's DCT also. Are they discontinuing it thou?
      01-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #48
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Manual with Auto Solutions SSK did the trick for me. Shifts better than my 997.1 GT3 and about as good as my Shelby GT350R. I'm a fan of BMW's DCT also. Are they discontinuing it thou?
Sadly yes....ZF slushbox on G series M3/4. That's why I went with the DCT, as it may be the last. I still have my 1M for 6MT analog bliss, which made the decision easier.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #49
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

I have other manuals to drive BUT this car needs to be a manual too. My M2C is a DCT. Would be really disappointed and less engaging to me if the CS was a DCT.
Appreciate 3
Bimmed Out1908.50
F87EVO4058.00
      01-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #50
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Deuce View Post
As a current M2C owner, with a DCT. I can say that whenever I drove it, I felt myself reaching for the stick and shifting the auto gears. I do enjoy the DCT, but always felt like something was missing.

So, I've a deposit down on a M2CS, with a 6MT. I do plan to daily it in heavy Seattle traffic. Good lord, what have I done! .
You'll be fine. Hill start assist will be your friend, but that transmission is very forgiving, easy and low effort. My biggest annoyance with it has been in the other direction with the auto rev-matching. But you seriously won't find an easier M/T transmission in just about any car.
This may sound odd given how many people seem to drive the DCT in auto but I'm always using the DCT shift stick to change gears manually (paddles only when you need both hands on the wheel). For me that seems to be the ideal shift scenario for a dual clutch transmission. Not sure what others' experience is?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #51
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
Quote:
As a current M2C owner, with a DCT. I can say that whenever I drove it, I felt myself reaching for the stick and shifting the auto gears. I do enjoy the DCT, but always felt like something was missing.

So, I've a deposit down on a M2CS, with a 6MT. I do plan to daily it in heavy Seattle traffic. Good lord, what have I done! .
You'll be fine. Hill start assist will be your friend, but that transmission is very forgiving, easy and low effort. My biggest annoyance with it has been in the other direction with the auto rev-matching. But you seriously won't find an easier M/T transmission in just about any car.
This may sound odd given how many people seem to drive the DCT in auto but I'm always using the DCT shift stick to change gears manually (paddles only when you need both hands on the wheel). For me that seems to be the ideal shift scenario for a dual clutch transmission. Not sure what others' experience is?
The shift logic is really well on the DCT and porsches PDK, so I just end up defaulting back to auto. The DCT was a great transmission and it's very similar technically to the manual. BMW killing it means manuals aren't far behind and doesn't bode well for the quality of the manual in the next generation M3/M4.

I don't fault anyone buying this car in DCT, it will be rare and it's the last gasp of a transmission that will be looked at fondly in years to come. DCT owners should be happy with their decision and lauded for it.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4602.50
      01-05-2021, 09:05 PM   #52
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The shift logic is really well on the DCT and porsches PDK, so I just end up defaulting back to auto. The DCT was a great transmission and it's very similar technically to the manual. BMW killing it means manuals aren't far behind and doesn't bode well for the quality of the manual in the next generation M3/M4.

I don't fault anyone buying this car in DCT, it will be rare and it's the last gasp of a transmission that will be looked at fondly in years to come. DCT owners should be happy with their decision and lauded for it.
The DCT is not as good as PDK. There is no question about that. The PDK is much more intuitive on gear changes and driving style. Also, the DCT in sport plus mode is incredible jerky. Try parking in a right spot with it and inching forward little by little. Whiplash!

Don't get me wrong I like the DCT for a daily driver and many people like it on track too. I just find my auto/PDK/DCT cars don't last (whether I'm shifting myself or not). I just prefer to row gears. DCT or manual - the CS is great!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:40 PM   #53
Gunnerforlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17GTI & M4CSL- Ex M2CS & M3CS

I went with the DCT because I had a DCT M3 CS which I always drove in manual. It was very aggressive and satisfying to bang the gears using the shift lever or the paddles. As for jerkiness, it gets better after a few thousand miles, also in manual, it wasn't really a problem.

It's also being discontinued as others mentioned and for me it's still way more superior and engaging compared to a ZF. On top of that, I've heard mixed reviews about how good the M2C manual is.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #54
Davil
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 Vantage, 18 Vantage, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
I use both shifter and/or paddles depending on mood. The shift lever is very satisfying. I never drive the car in auto unless in a car park.

Also, I don't really understand the complaint with shift quality. Level 3 is not for parking and pootling around town. It was designed for lightning quick slam shifts at which it excels. The 3 speed options are great. I usually use level 2 unless really hammering it. Level 2 shifting combines smoothness and still a fast shift.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:16 PM   #55
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

You can argue all day long but BMW is dropping the DCT because it's going away from its roots, what matters now is make more money by selling more M cars and you do that by making them more mainstream.

Manual may stay because of the US take rate but they are not going to invest at making it better. Look even at Porsche, the 6sp in GT cars is great because they are driven by purpose but the 7 speed is nothing to rave about. It's just there to be there, they even dropped it from the base model since 992.

What's sad is we see other manufacturers investing at making great DCT's while BMW just drops pants and goes the easy way with a whitewashed 8zf. Audi has gone to a great 7sp DSG for it's normal cars, hell even Hyundai is manufacturing its own DCT. Its a really good design but I bet BMW will make more money using ZFs.

Right now they seem to be driven by bean counters and marketing gurus.(not in a good way)
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
GimmeanM1448.50
      01-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #56
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
You can argue all day long but BMW is dropping the DCT because it's going away from its roots, what matters now is make more money by selling more M cars and you do that by making them more mainstream.

Manual may stay because of the US take rate but they are not going to invest at making it better. Look even at Porsche, the 6sp in GT cars is great because they are driven by purpose but the 7 speed is nothing to rave about. It's just there to be there, they even dropped it from the base model since 992.

What's sad is we see other manufacturers investing at making great DCT's while BMW just drops pants and goes the easy way with a whitewashed 8zf. Audi has gone to a great 7sp DSG for it's normal cars, hell even Hyundai is manufacturing its own DCT. Its a really good design but I bet BMW will make more money using ZFs.

Right now they seem to be driven by bean counters and marketing gurus.(not in a good way)
It strikes me that the Porsche PDK may become a key differentiator in Porsche's favour with BMW quitting the DCT space.

Given Porsche clearly weren't willing to invest in their manual for cars as high margin as the 718 GTS/4 it looks they are doubling down on their DCT. If BMW vacates the DCT field then that will leave Porsche with a big advantage.
Appreciate 2
PLF693770.00
      01-05-2021, 11:17 PM   #57
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:

The DCT for BMW is made by Getrag, who supplies double clutch transmissions for Ferrari and Merc, and made the double clutch for the Ford GT. So the excuse that ZF automatics are better for higher torque is BS. It's cost savings only.

There was an article saying the cost for the Ford GT transmission was 32k. BMW would had had to eat into their profit or charge slightly more money for a DCT to remain in the M3/M4 and decided that the average customer didn't care. They may be right.

But the ZF is not a better product, it's a worse one.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4602.50
      01-06-2021, 07:22 AM   #58
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:

The DCT for BMW is made by Getrag, who supplies double clutch transmissions for Ferrari and Merc, and made the double clutch for the Ford GT. So the excuse that ZF automatics are better for higher torque is BS. It's cost savings only.

There was an article saying the cost for the Ford GT transmission was 32k. BMW would had had to eat into their profit or charge slightly more money for a DCT to remain in the M3/M4 and decided that the average customer didn't care. They may be right.

But the ZF is not a better product, it's a worse one.
The latest M3/M4 gave away the fact the ZF8 is a lesser system to the Gertrag DCT - having just introduced the ZF they say 'but it has been heavily tuned...'
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #59
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

The DCT was already used with the S63 in the M5/M6, it's not a torque issue for the S58.

It likely was either stay RWD only and be able to offer 6MT/DCT option or also offer AWD and use the drivetrain they already developed for the X3M. But there was no way they were going to offer RWD with either the 6MT or DCT and then offer an AWD variant with the ZF 8HP. If it's good enough for the AWD version, they figured it's good enough for the RWD.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #60
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
The DCT was already used with the S63 in the M5/M6, it's not a torque issue for the S58.

It likely was either stay RWD only and be able to offer 6MT/DCT option or also offer AWD and use the drivetrain they already developed for the X3M. But there was no way they were going to offer RWD with either the 6MT or DCT and then offer an AWD variant with the ZF 8HP. If it's good enough for the AWD version, they figured it's good enough for the RWD.
Good point, using AWD variant ZF in the X vehicle makes sense and they did not want to invest in developing an AWD DCT version.If getrag would offer an AWD DCT they would probably be using it.

Now the big question is what Auto is going to be the G87 ?! It's going to fill the "drivers" car slot and will probably be offered in RWD only...
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #61
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Good point, using AWD variant ZF in the X vehicle makes sense and they did not want to invest in developing an AWD DCT version.If getrag would offer an AWD DCT they would probably be using it.

Now the big question is what Auto is going to be the G87 ?! It's going to fill the "drivers" car slot and will probably be offered in RWD only...
This logic had a lot to do with why i bought an X4M. As a daily, i really don't see the point in getting an M3 AWD.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a DCT in the G87, BMW already said its done with the DCT.
Appreciate 2
PLF693770.00
      01-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #62
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Glad the DCT is so good and favorably reviewed by just about everyone - I know all who ordered it will be happy with their CS. However there was never one second I seriously considered abandoning the 6MT. Have spent my entire adult life shifting through traffic (DC Beltway traffic, no less). It never has bothered me. And all the rest of the time it's nothing but grins ear to ear. Usually shift from 2nd in the 540i, more than enough bottom-end torque.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #63
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
...and already planning to delete the CDV and the rev match.
I think it's quicker and easier to downshift shift with rev match on. I found it delightful on my spirited drive today. I only have 720 miles on it but first drive I really up'd the speed of my downshifts. I don't feel like I have to hurry the shift in order to catch the next gear. I feel less shift mistakes will happen because of this as well.
      01-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #64
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Agree it's easier .. getting the feel of down-shifting after only 2 days. Now, whether "easier" = "better" on a manual can be debated ad infinitum. But more receptive to it than I expected to be.

Went out tonight and turned everything off just to try out toe and heel .. need to find better roads and daylight to play with it some more. At low-moderate speeds and reasonable urban driving there doesn't appear to be anything to fear in going native with this car. Realize how that will quickly change with aggressive acceleration into corners/turns in an appropriate setting, which will have to wait until after break-in.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 11:07 PM   #65
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/abcn...%3fid=72085780
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2618.50
      01-09-2021, 11:32 PM   #66
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
My wife really wants the new Bronco....but I doubt she will take the manual.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
Karmic Man1996.00