BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) gap between tire and fender on right rear is 2.5 inch taller than left rear?

05-14-2023, 01:22 PM   #1
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

gap between tire and fender on right rear is 2.5 inch taller than left rear?

when I took delivery a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the right rear seat seemed to sit taller than the left side. I couldn't figure out why and just thought that the new seat cushion was taller or harder?

Yesterday, I finally noticed something that could be the cause. The gap between the tire and the fender is at least 2 inches taller on the right rear side. I thought I was seeing things, but when I got home I took out a ruler and measured it and it was definitely 2 inches taller on that side only. (or maybe it's the left rear side that's sitting 2 inches too short?) I just measured it again at a church parking lot this morning and the 2-inch difference was still there.

here what I got after measuring the gap from top of tire to edge of fender: (this is the X1 with M Sport suspension, all tires at correct pressure, no passengers or cargo inside, fuel tank completely full)

front left: about 3 inches
front right: about 3 inches
rear left: about 4.5 inches
rear right: about 7 inches (!!!)

I plan to drive to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #2
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

Many years ago, after driving 500 miles in my brand new car, I discovered the wooden packing wedges had been left in the rear coil springs. Used during transportation, the PDI had failed to remove them....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 05:29 AM   #3
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Sounds like a suspension travel limiter from shipping is still in there.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 05:58 AM   #4
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Sounds like a suspension travel limiter from shipping is still in there.
that got me thinking, so I started searching on Google and found this thread about Mini Cooper(another BMW product) that had suspension shipping blocks left in there. Apparently the owner didn't find it until much later.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-delivery.html

I'll get under the X1 and look in the morning. Assuming that I do find such devices somehow left in the right rear suspension, do I simply try to pry it out? Or is it safer to get to the BMW dealer and have their tech do it? Who was responsible for removing such things? The BMW processing center at the port or my BMW dealer?

More importantly, if such things were left in there, would they have caused any damages to the suspension system after I already drove around for 2 weeks?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 06:05 AM   #5
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
that got me thinking, so I started searching on Google and found this thread about Mini Cooper(another BMW product) that had suspension shipping blocks left in there. Apparently the owner didn't find it until much later.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-delivery.html

I'll get under the X1 and look in the morning. Assuming that I do find such devices somehow left in the right rear suspension, do I simply try to pry it out? Or is it safer to get to the BMW dealer and have their tech do it? Who was responsible for removing such things? The BMW processing center at the port or my BMW dealer?

More importantly, if such things were left in there, would they have caused any damages to the suspension system after I already drove around for 2 weeks?

Thanks!
I wouldn't do it yourself. I'd definitely take it to the dealer in case there was any damage so they can take responsibility for it. I'm ASSUMING it's done during the PDI process at the dealer because the cars at my dealer are all loaded on trucks at the port and delivered to the dealer without driving, but I can't be sure. As for damage, I don't think there would be any if you caught it this early, but I'm not sure how much you've driven it or if you came across any rough roads or potholes.

I'm not sure how far away your dealer is, but if it's a fair way away I'd call them and ask for a flatbed to come pick it up. If you do get under the car and find that the suspension limiters are still there, take some photos of it and send it to them.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 02:36 PM   #6
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I wouldn't do it yourself. I'd definitely take it to the dealer in case there was any damage so they can take responsibility for it. I'm ASSUMING it's done during the PDI process at the dealer because the cars at my dealer are all loaded on trucks at the port and delivered to the dealer without driving, but I can't be sure. As for damage, I don't think there would be any if you caught it this early, but I'm not sure how much you've driven it or if you came across any rough roads or potholes.

I'm not sure how far away your dealer is, but if it's a fair way away I'd call them and ask for a flatbed to come pick it up. If you do get under the car and find that the suspension limiters are still there, take some photos of it and send it to them.
there was no wedge or stopper left in the springs/suspension when I looked at them in my garage.

went to the dealer earlier. the service advisor was like "huh, never seen that before" and I waited in the lounge. From a window that looked into the service area, I saw them lift the X1 in the air and looking at stuff. Then the tech drove it out and came back 10 minutes later. The service advisor came and talked to me. He said it was "normal" now and they even measured the distance to be sure. I asked him what they did to it. He just said "the car had to be driven hard for a little bit" or something like that. I went outside to look and the extra gap was gone. on second thought, they must have removed some object down there, because just driving it hard would not have resolved whatever issue was there?

Last edited by SpaceSilverX1; 05-16-2023 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0