BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Info about the blue losange in head up display when in efficiency mode?

01-17-2024, 04:29 PM   #1
PatL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 28i

Info about the blue losange in head up display when in efficiency mode?

Did anybody find any info about it? I found info/videos about efficiency mode, the efficiency mode trainer and how to set up the head up display, how to get rid of the losange, but nothing on how to use it...

On cars with the head up display, a huge blue losange shoes up in efficiency mode. It shows you a blue zone like the center display to indicate the efficiency acceleration/speed zone.

It seems like the blue zone is depending on the speed limit which the car can read/find also.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 03:39 PM   #2
PatL
Private
Rep

Here what I understand so far using a 28i premium in the US. I cannot take pictures of the HUD because of the refresh rate...

The blue losange features a white line and a blue zone (both horizontal) that correspond to the white line and right blue edge of the central display power meter (see first picture)

The height of the blue zone decreases as you accelerate towards the speed limit identified by the car.

If you exceed the speed limit by more than ~5mph, the blue zone contracts to a blue line that starts pulsing towards the middle of the losange.

When you slow down, the compacted blue zone/line starts pulsating outwards, and soon the blue zone starts growing again.

If you break, the white line dips into the lower part of the losange, just like the central display white line goes into the lower "battery zone".

What stumps me is the dependence on the speed limit. I have a premium option. Are there configurations where the speed limit is not recognized by the car? If yes, how does the efficiency losange behave then?

Also, looking at the second picture, if you go to "live vehicle", you can see that the car is rating your driving style along 3 parameters: anticipation, acceleration and speed.
When you initialize efficiency mode, you start with 3 10/10.

You will lose acceleration points if you get the white line above the blue zone. This is the easiest one to maximize.

You will lose speed points if your speed is only a few (5?) mph above the speed limit recognized by the car. In some cases, the speed recognition is wrong (eg school zones when no children are present).

I am not quite sure how you lose anticipation points. I am thinking you have to maximize coasting, avoid strong braking and keep a safe/constant distance from the vehicle in front of you. I noticed that I can easily lose several points driving in the city. Coasting with anticipation on the highway helps getting some points back.
Attached Images

Last edited by PatL; 01-18-2024 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 06:51 AM   #3
Tazz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50d (2019), BMW X1 20i

shouldnt you be able to get rid of that blue thing in the hud settings from the button on the steering wheel, im on idrive 8, and i can change it in efficient mode to the sport or nav or assisted drive
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 04:53 PM   #4
PatL
Private
Rep

Oh yeah... Having it or getting rid of it can be achieved by using the HUD content customization feature.

This is less about getting rid of that "blue triangle/losange thingy" than trying to understand how it works and relates to the "efficiency trainer" in the center control display.

Most of the doc I found online is about the efficiency mode at this level, the efficiency trainer or about how to configure the HUD.

I think I got how it works stuff.

Still not sure how to maximize the "anticipation" component of the efficiency driver style analysis component.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 05:58 PM   #5
Tazz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50d (2019), BMW X1 20i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatL View Post
Oh yeah... Having it or getting rid of it can be achieved by using the HUD content customization feature.

This is less about getting rid of that "blue triangle/losange thingy" than trying to understand how it works and relates to the "efficiency trainer" in the center control display.

Most of the doc I found online is about the efficiency mode at this level, the efficiency trainer or about how to configure the HUD.

I think I got how it works stuff.

Still not sure how to maximize the "anticipation" component of the efficiency driver style analysis component.
i dont think its possible unless your in an ev, because if you daily the pure ice version like i do, you do need to anticipate when the car infront of you is going to move to get rid of the start-stop delay. all i know is i have got speed maxed and thats good for me
Appreciate 0