BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Make efficient mode as default

01-20-2024, 11:23 AM   #1
aydarks
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Make efficient mode as default

Hey,

I am wondering if it is possible to make Efficient mode as the default one. In my car with iDrive 9 I can only choose personal or expressive as default. Is this a bug? Quite annoying to be honest.

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2024, 04:37 PM   #2
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Doesn’t seem to be possible, BMW makes you need to select something else each time over the two you state. Why, no idea, it’s the same only older BMW they start in comfort and you had to move them to something else each time.
Appreciate 1
aydarks12.00
      01-21-2024, 04:59 AM   #3
aydarks
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Doesn’t seem to be possible, BMW makes you need to select something else each time over the two you state. Why, no idea, it’s the same only older BMW they start in comfort and you had to move them to something else each time.
That is funny and annoying at the same time lol
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 09:47 AM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
I don't think Efficient or Sport can be the default mode.

But I would not want a BMW if I was going to drive around all the time in Efficient mode; might as well just get a Toyota.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41914.00
      01-21-2024, 10:50 AM   #5
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post

But I would not want a BMW if I was going to drive around all the time in Efficient mode; might as well just get a Toyota.
I agree... efficiency mode on a pure ICE BMW seems silly to me. If it's a hybrid or EV, then it makes more sense because one needs to be concerned about the range.

the parts that amazes me is that my X1(xDrive28i) usually gets at least 36mpg on the highway... while the college kid in the family has a 2020 Toyota Corolla that can barely get 30mpg on the same highway.

I wonder how BMW manages to do that?
Appreciate 1
tex26702424.50
      01-21-2024, 11:28 AM   #6
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't think Efficient or Sport can be the default mode.

In the past I've tired the efficient modes to see what they are like, its really just a case of make the throttle feel really really dull and it makes it hard work to progress. As you say not what. BMW is about but we all like different things. After the first few tired I don't think I've ever used it again.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 01:31 PM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In the past I've tired the efficient modes to see what they are like, its really just a case of make the throttle feel really really dull and it makes it hard work to progress. As you say not what. BMW is about but we all like different things. After the first few tired I don't think I've ever used it again.
I used Efficient mode in the snow and slush this week to keep the throttle down. But that's the only time I use it generally.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 03:13 PM   #8
aydarks
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep

I personally prefer Efficient mode due to graphics of the RPM. It shows how you can control the throttle to stay within “Efficient” mode. Otherwise, I haven’t noticed any difference between Personal and Efficient modes
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 05:07 PM   #9
PatL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 28i

In efficient mode, the acceleration is more sluggish IMO, but it doesn't bother me. Also, I kind of like the "game" of optimization; at least one other incentive to stay within the speed limit and drive in a relax way.

Another difference is coasting. In efficiency mode, the car disengages the transmission to coasts while minimizing the loss of speed. In normal mode, the car charges the battery, so it will coast and reduce speed faster.

I was wondering about the impact on the battery, BTW. I use my car for short trips and BMWs are famous for having battery discharges because of all the wakeup/back to sleep interruptions while stopped. There is a risk that efficiency mode favors gas mileage to the detriment of battery optimization because of the coasting feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 05:18 PM   #10
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
On past cars, I have been able to code something like this. But the way they have the ID nine lockdown so tight does not seem to be an option unfortunately. Frustrating as I would like to start mine in sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 06:04 PM   #11
Tazz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50d (2019), BMW X1 20i

im not on i9, but can you make efficient mode a shortcut? I can hold on efficent mode and make it a shortcut or say hey bmw. but i made the digital art mode my start-up/ default mode and can also make sport or efficient default as well through settings if you havent tried that. i also like the animations for efficient mode but the live hp monitors more fun in the dirt cause you can see how much throttle is required for max torque
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 07:11 AM   #12
aydarks
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep

Yes, you can make a schortcut, but this is a thing that I need to think about anyways.

Speaking about BMW doesn’t want you to customise default mode: why does it allow to choose as a default either Epxressive and Relax modes, which are even more useless… really weird and stupid logic.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 08:45 AM   #13
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How is making it a shortcut (swiping down and pressing the shortcut) easier than pressing the MODE button on the console, and then selecting the mode on screen?
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41914.00
      01-22-2024, 08:47 AM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydarks View Post
Yes, you can make a schortcut, but this is a thing that I need to think about anyways.

Speaking about BMW doesn’t want you to customise default mode: why does it allow to choose as a default either Epxressive and Relax modes, which are even more useless… really weird and stupid logic.
Because the modes other than Sport and Efficient don't do anything than change the display and the ambient lighting color. The modes that change the engine response habits are the ones you can't make default - just like in prior BMW models.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41914.00
      01-23-2024, 06:07 AM   #15
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
How is making it a shortcut (swiping down and pressing the shortcut) easier than pressing the MODE button on the console, and then selecting the mode on screen?
I rarely switch modes out of Personal, but I tested this out today. If using the mode button, you have to first press the button, second touch the mode desired, and then to get back to the screen you were previously on (like music), you have to press the media button. Not only that, but there is a brief delay in my car when pushing the mode button and the mode selection actually appearing.

When using the short cut from the pull down menu, you just swipe down and select the mode desired, and it returns to whatever screen you were previously on. There is no delay in comparison to using the physical mode button, as well as only having to use the touchscreen instead of moving your hand from the wheel to the console, and then to the touchscreen.

And last, using voice commands to switch modes (arguably the safest way to do it), takes the longest in ID8.

I switch modes maybe every couple of months, and usually while sitting at a light looking to make some poor decisions lol. But it does seem that at least in my experience, the shortcut is a tad faster/more efficient.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 09:41 AM   #16
Smoky_the_french
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX1 eDrive20

Thumbs up

I agree with your request because ID9 OS is so long to start...if only the mode button was faster, but no !!

I have to wait a long time before i can choose the efficient mode
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 11:55 PM   #17
rlynn92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i,X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I rarely switch modes out of Personal, but I tested this out today. If using the mode button, you have to first press the button, second touch the mode desired, and then to get back to the screen you were previously on (like music), you have to press the media button. Not only that, but there is a brief delay in my car when pushing the mode button and the mode selection actually appearing.

When using the short cut from the pull down menu, you just swipe down and select the mode desired, and it returns to whatever screen you were previously on. There is no delay in comparison to using the physical mode button, as well as only having to use the touchscreen instead of moving your hand from the wheel to the console, and then to the touchscreen.

And last, using voice commands to switch modes (arguably the safest way to do it), takes the longest in ID8.

I switch modes maybe every couple of months, and usually while sitting at a light looking to make some poor decisions lol. But it does seem that at least in my experience, the shortcut is a tad faster/more efficient.

This is one of my biggest gripes with it. In every other BMW I’ve owned, after you select a mode it goes back to whatever screen you were on. In ID9, it just sits there, forever, on a useless screen until you press another button.

In addition, I noticed if you switch to sport and want to modify the settings, say set the transmission to sport plus, you have to close the screen entirely, press the “my modes” button again and then click the gear icon before you select a mode. In my 3 series, I can change the settings right after I select a mode. Super easy and straightforward.

Also why did they call it “personal” since it has no personalized settings? Might as well have left it named comfort.

It’s little things like this that tell you about the mindset of the UX designers and engineers while they worked on ID9...
Appreciate 1
aydarks12.00
      01-24-2024, 02:35 AM   #18
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Agree that they have not done too well with the UI and the number of clicks that are required. It's just not intuitive to use and well thought through in so many ways.

Agree as well that Personal should be able for example to have the sports steering, my wife finds it provides too much assistance by default and would actually like firmer steering but you can only do that in sport. But then all the colours are red that she hates and you then have to keep changing the gearbox / engine back to comfort.

All a bit of a mess really and not well though through. I get only starting on a default mode, but again a simple button rather than press a button to then press something else to then need to press again to change things is just poor lets face it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 02:41 AM   #19
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Agree that they have not done too well with the UI and the number of clicks that are required. It's just not intuitive to use and well thought through in so many ways.

Agree as well that Personal should be able for example to have the sports steering, my wife finds it provides too much assistance by default and would actually like firmer steering but you can only do that in sport. But then all the colours are red that she hates and you then have to keep changing the gearbox / engine back to comfort.

All a bit of a mess really and not well though through. I get only starting on a default mode, but again a simple button rather than press a button to then press something else to then need to press again to change things is just poor lets face it.
I think ID7 was probably the best version so far, it just worked well for the most part and everything was in an easy to find place. My 4 series had both touchscreen and the iDrive controller, so scrolling through a contact list to give someone a call was far less dangerous than swiping through a screen. I think this time around with iD8 and iD9, they tried too hard to make the interface like a mobile phone.

More and more each day I'm enjoying the simplicity of the e46 I'm slowly restoring. Easy to work on, no extra frills, just driving. Just put in a CarPlay head unit for less than $300, so I've got all I need. The X1, while I do enjoy it when using it for work, gets driven far less now days when I just want to drive.
Appreciate 1
MontyB11421.00
      01-24-2024, 03:18 AM   #20
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think ID7 was probably the best version so far, it just worked well for the most part and everything was in an easy to find place. My 4 series had both touchscreen and the iDrive controller, so scrolling through a contact list to give someone a call was far less dangerous than swiping through a screen. I think this time around with iD8 and iD9, they tried too hard to make the interface like a mobile phone.

More and more each day I'm enjoying the simplicity of the e46 I'm slowly restoring. Easy to work on, no extra frills, just driving. Just put in a CarPlay head unit for less than $300, so I've got all I need. The X1, while I do enjoy it when using it for work, gets driven far less now days when I just want to drive.
Yeah I've got ID7 on the X3, the quick selector buttons and the idrive controller and switching between both cars its amazing how much quicker and easier it is to do so many tasks, and to be frank safer. I spend less time having to glance and the screen to do things and find things or hover my hand to press a small button on the screen.

Heated seats, quick button press
Zoom a map, one click of a wheel
Heated steering wheel off, one press
Go to a pre set zoom level on the map - present on a button
Call someone regular - preset on a button
etc.

All of those because I know where the button is I do without even looking off the road most of the time. Yes in the X1 I could speak to the car, but sooooooo many times when we attempt this it spectacularly fails and just tries us to take us to a destination of something it's guessed. Will it get better, sure, but a car full of kids, shut up be quiet I need to speak to the car to get something done, no shut up. Ask car and still does it wrong is just a really poor user experience.

Are screens the future, it seems so, do physical buttons make for a quicker and safer experience, absobloodylutely.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 05:18 AM   #21
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Yes my e46 and even current f87 have minimal tech and gadgets… I’m concentrating on shifting thru the gears pure M driving! I bought my u11 mainly for winter xdrive convenience and even with all this new tech and aids I still find myself just driving simply in sport mode with rtti screen
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 02:35 PM   #22
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timesone View Post
Yes my e46 and even current f87 have minimal tech and gadgets… I’m concentrating on shifting thru the gears pure M driving! I bought my u11 mainly for winter xdrive convenience and even with all this new tech and aids I still find myself just driving simply in sport mode with rtti screen
If I can find a good f87 for the right price one day, that’s on my list of cars I’d want to track. That g87 is growing on me too though….maybe after the X1 lease is up.
Appreciate 1
timesone184.50