BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) First impressions of MY24 28i on longer drive

01-18-2024, 03:31 PM   #1
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
First impressions of MY24 28i on longer drive

Was able to take the X1 out on a long road trip this week and here's some initial observations.

Wireless charging seem to work great at least on my Pixel 8 phone. I have a case and it charged the phone up fully from 75% to 100% in about an hour.

Sound level of the turn signals is barely noticeable. I'm not seeing a way to adjust the volume for that other than maxing out everything I've checked already.

My spouse doesn't like to use cruise control but I do and tried it out. It seemed to operate as advertised. I thought I had read some discussions where it could be dangerous in some situations but didn't experience that. Didn't try out the assisted driving but might do that on the way home.

I thought I had seen from some online videos or discussions that there was a way to open the driver's window or the sunroof by voice commands but I wasn't able to get it to work. Not sure if there's a setting for that that I haven't found.

Loving the heads-up display.

Tried out the massage seat from the passenger position. It's okay. Might be better if driving on a longer trip.

Of lesser importance, I thought there was a way to change the Wake word from BMW. The local genius said to look under personal assistant but I already had tried that. I didn't see any option to change the word. The genius made of been referring to ID8. I'm only seeing an option to activate or deactivate the feature. Has anyone actually changed the wake word using ID9?
      01-18-2024, 03:57 PM   #2
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGREANY View Post
Was able to take the X1 out on a long road trip this week and here's
I thought I had seen from some online videos or discussions that there was a way to open the driver's window or the sunroof by voice commands but I wasn't able to get it to work. Not sure if there's a setting for that that I haven't found.
I simply say "Hey BMW, open driver's window" and after a few seconds, it opens that window.

As long as your other voice commands work, then the open window command should work. For example, does it respond when you say "Hey BMW, weather" or "Hey BMW, what's my tire pressure?"

unless BMW took out that function for the 2024 model with iDriver9?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:43 PM   #3
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilver.X1 View Post
I simply say "Hey BMW, open driver's window" and after a few seconds, it opens that window.

As long as your other voice commands work, then the open window command should work. For example, does it respond when you say "Hey BMW, weather" or "Hey BMW, what's my tire pressure?"

unless BMW took out that function for the 2024 model with iDriver9?
I find it hilarious that you can open the window with voice commands, but it won't let you close it.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 2
tex26702424.50
      01-20-2024, 03:19 PM   #4
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
After our longer drive this week, there's still a few thing that I haven't been able to figure out. I'll plan to drop down to the Genius next weekend but figured I'd ask here in the meantime.

1. How to increase the turn signal audible sound. It appears very faint when left on by mistake.

2. As opposed to what others have reported, I still can't open windows or sunroof using voice control. The system tells me it can't do it for some reason.

3. Can't change wake word. Only see an option to enable and disable on the screen under the Personal Assistant.

4. How to add a single contact to favorites with the person's name instead of uploading all contacts from phone. Currently I can only add the number with unknown name.

5. How to use the manual/physical key to open the car without triggering the alarm or how to disable the alarm after opening. Once in the car what good is the manual key?
      01-21-2024, 08:04 AM   #5
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

Quote:
After our longer drive this week, there's still a few thing that I haven't been able to figure out. I'll plan to drop down to the Genius next weekend but figured I'd ask here in the meantime.

1. How to increase the turn signal audible sound. It appears very faint when left on by mistake.

2. As opposed to what others have reported, I still can't open windows or sunroof using voice control. The system tells me it can't do it for some reason.

3. Can't change wake word. Only see an option to enable and disable on the screen under the Personal Assistant.

4. How to add a single contact to favorites with the person's name instead of uploading all contacts from phone. Currently I can only add the number with unknown name.

5. How to use the manual/physical key to open the car without triggering the alarm or how to disable the alarm after opening. Once in the car what good is the manual key?
Please let us know the answers to your questions when you get them. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:32 PM   #6
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:

I don't think there was any setting that I needed to change to make this work.

just took this video....

all I said was "Hey BMW, open the sunroof"

She replied with "no problem, I will open the sunroof" and proceeded to open the sunroof(and the roller shade) '23 X1 with iDrive8.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WogSpe61qsY
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:37 PM   #7
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I find it hilarious that you can open the window with voice commands, but it won't let you close it.

probably for safety reasons?

although.. that didn't stop my previous cat from learning to open the rear windows of my old Cadillac DTS. She would just stick her paw into the window switch and open the window... WHILE I WAS DRIVING!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 05:23 PM   #8
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:

although.. that didn't stop my previous cat from learning to open the rear windows of my old Cadillac DTS. She would just stick her paw into the window switch and open the window... WHILE I WAS DRIVING!
Yeah, I assume safety reasons, same reason in the US we're not allowed to close the tailgate with the remote. . But for the windows, that doesn't make sense because they have had pinch protection on car windows for decades. All of my cars have had it since 2000 I'm pretty sure, so I don't see why you can't roll up the windows.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 05:23 PM   #9
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:

Toonces!
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2024, 05:38 PM   #10
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Yeah, I assume safety reasons, same reason in the US we're not allowed to close the tailgate with the remote. . But for the windows, that doesn't make sense because they have had pinch protection on car windows for decades. All of my cars have had it since 2000 I'm pretty sure, so I don't see why you can't roll up the windows.
you mean for all cars in the US? or just BMWs?

because I'm 99% sure that I was able to close the tailgate of a minivan that I rented a few months ago. a family member had gone downstairs to get something, but forgot to take the key fob. She called me and I used the key fob to open and close the tailgate of that minivan from the balcony of the hotel(5th story, I think).

It was a Kia something(forgot the name their minivan). It did require me to hold the button the key fob for the tailgate to close. Letting go of the button instantly stopped the tailgate from closing.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 05:40 PM   #11
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
you mean for all cars in the US? or just BMWs?

because I'm 99% sure that I was able to close the tailgate of a minivan that I rented a few months ago. a family member had gone downstairs to get something, but forgot to take the key fob. She called me and I used the key fob to open and close the tailgate of that minivan from the balcony of the hotel(5th story, I think).

It was a Kia something(forgot the name their minivan). It did require me to hold the button the key fob for the tailgate to close. Letting go of the button instantly stopped the tailgate from closing.
Sorry, I meant the X1 specifically. I've never had another car that had a powered tailgate. It really doesn't bother me that much, but it would be a nice feature to have. As well as being able to disable the kick to open when I'm washing the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 05:40 PM   #12
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesone View Post
Toonces!
I Toonces passed away in an explosion? RIP. I loved that cat.

The old Cadillac DTS had power window switch that were too easy to press down. That was how my cat learn to open the windows. (plus the desire to escape from the car ride to the vet?) It kind of freaked me out the first time she did it, because I was driving at almost 80mph on the Beltway. Yes, I know it was my bad.. should have kept her in the carrier, but she was meowing nonstop.
Appreciate 0