BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Driver Profiles

03-05-2024, 07:53 PM   #1
Yurihaynes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 XDrive 30i

I picked up my new X1 today and i don’t think we have connected drive in my region (St.Lucia). The car has a driver profile and a guest profile. Is there any way to name profiles and create an additional driver for my second key without having connected drive / BMW ID? Also whenever i use the guest profile it never seems to save my settings.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:41 PM   #2
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 U11

If don't mind bmw siphoning all your phone data you can download the bmw app and set up profiles. It'll also give you access to some other features of the x1

I chose to only let the car to access my contacts. So I can make calls from the car. Otherwise I'm a guest. Most settings seem to stick. I only need to start the music sometimes. Sometimes it starts without needing to do anything. I'm happy with the car the way it is asi really don't like sharing all my data with every app creator in the universe
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:50 PM   #3
Yurihaynes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationMoon! View Post
If don't mind bmw siphoning all your phone data you can download the bmw app and set up profiles. It'll also give you access to some other features of the x1

I chose to only let the car to access my contacts. So I can make calls from the car. Otherwise I'm a guest. Most settings seem to stick. I only need to start the music sometimes. Sometimes it starts without needing to do anything. I'm happy with the car the way it is asi really don't like sharing all my data with every app creator in the universe
I tried downloading the my BMW app and it won’t let me connect to the car because the car can’t seem to sign in to a BMW id because I’m guessing this whole connected drive thing isn’t available in the Caribbean as yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 09:20 PM   #4
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurihaynes View Post
I tried downloading the my BMW app and it won’t let me connect to the car because the car can’t seem to sign in to a BMW id because I’m guessing this whole connected drive thing isn’t available in the Caribbean as yet.
Have you asked your dealer to help you set it up?
      03-05-2024, 09:26 PM   #5
Yurihaynes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGREANY View Post
Have you asked your dealer to help you set it up?
They were more confused than me. The guy who delivered it said he would have to read about this first then get back to me. The manual says i should be able to create profiles when connected drive isn’t available but i have no options for this. It’s asking to sign in with a BMW ID and i have no other option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:26 AM   #6
Yurihaynes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosticKen View Post
Can you not pretend to live somewhere else and get a BMW ID you can then use. Without a connection and maybe even register your car that way.
I already created an ID and have the app, the problem I’m having now is once the app tells me to go to the car i go to the car and click add BMW ID or add profile i get errors saying it’s not possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:35 AM   #7
Yurihaynes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosticKen View Post
In July last year on IDrive9 I and the local Genius was able to Create a different profile on each key, back them up, reset IDrive9 and reload them. All without going online as that didn't come until 3 days later when I got a new phone which supported MyBMW and supposedly AA (which it didn't on U11), even then it only allowed the online access when I replied OKAY and verified the data sharing permissions to a message received OTA in the car.. It had nothing to do with the basic in-car profiles other than privacy and didn't affect them.
Have you tried resetting everything, leave one key far away and set up a profile on the other, then do the same with the second key.
Set IDrive9 to prompt for the User on Startup.
It does sound as though there is something wrong here unless they have implemented an unannounced online dependency like they have with the SatNav but would be gross stupidity and contradict the documentation if they have as you have discovered. The SW is just not allowing you to create another Profile, it is a basic and well documented procedure it can't do and has nothing to do with connectivity or your phone, bluetooth or anything else. The dealer may also have missed something on the prep and PDI which would allow multiple profiles. are there any other recent new U11 owners you could liase with?. Note: In the user manual is specifically says you can have seven driver profiles not one

If I interpret the docs correctly, you can't have an BMW-ID you can only have up to 7 Driver Profiles as an ID is for use with connectivity you don't have and is required for creation. Not sure of the implications with AA or CarPlay it doesn't spell that out. But it may restrict your access to SatNav and maybe other in-car connected services including AA/Carplay. GOOD LUCK!

"In non-ConnectedDrive countries, the personal vehicle settings can be stored in driver profiles"

I did everything this manual said and i'm not seeing the option to "add driver profile" it says "add profile" which im assuming is the same thing. but once i try to do that i get the error "adding a new profile not possible" when i try the add BMW ID option i get an error saying unable to connect. I took it back to the dealaer and spoke to the owner who is a friend of mine a few minutes ago (Luckily i live on a small island so everyone is minutes away) we tried it on another X1 being delivered today and we were able to add a profile. Went to his personal X1 M35i and we couldn't add a profile either. So now we're both confused as to what could have gone wrong or what was done differently during the pdi. He said he will speak to his head technician and hopefully we can figure this out because not being able to have my wife with her own profile for her key will drive me crazy when she keeps messing with my settings.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:58 PM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
If you don't log in with a BMW ID, then you need to use a "guest" profile.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:05 PM   #9
Yurihaynes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
If you don't log in with a BMW ID, then you need to use a "guest" profile.
The problem with the guest profile is it doesn’t save settings. Kind of annoying to be changing stuff like units or time format / radio stations and other random little things every time someone else uses the car.

I just want to be able to have a profile for each driver tied to the keys like i have with my 2018 G01. When i use my key everything is how i like it. When the wife uses hers all her settings are how she likes it. It’s been less than 24hrs and I’m already annoyed because i had the ambient lights one color now I’m seeing another color after she drove it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:58 PM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurihaynes View Post
The problem with the guest profile is it doesn’t save settings. Kind of annoying to be changing stuff like units or time format / radio stations and other random little things every time someone else uses the car.

I just want to be able to have a profile for each driver tied to the keys like i have with my 2018 G01. When i use my key everything is how i like it. When the wife uses hers all her settings are how she likes it. It’s been less than 24hrs and I’m already annoyed because i had the ambient lights one color now I’m seeing another color after she drove it.
I had to create a "dummy" BMW account for my second key fob, but without adding an actual vehicle to it. I used a different email address.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 09:09 PM   #11
Yurihaynes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I had to create a "dummy" BMW account for my second key fob, but without adding an actual vehicle to it. I used a different email address.
The problem I’m having is i can’t use a BMW ID. Connected drive isn’t available in Saint Lucia or anywhere in the Caribbean as far as i know. And there doesn’t seem to be a way to create a local profile for each driver. Took it back to the dealer and they can’t figure it out either. All the X1s with idrive 9 seem to have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:35 PM   #12
Yurihaynes
United_States
Rep

Update: took the car back to the dealer because i got a “transmission temperature high” warning. They did a software update and now i can create profiles so guess everything is fixed now.
Appreciate 0