BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Heated Steering Wheel Barely Working

09-26-2023, 01:13 PM   #1
BMWTORONTO123
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Heated Steering Wheel Barely Working

I was wondering whether new(er) software updates have solved the problem of the Heated Steering Wheel that barely works (even on the highest setting)

I have read that a previous software update reduced the intensity of the heated steering wheel dramatically.

I have still quite an old version of the Software (03/2023.24) and I haven't received an over the air update (yet)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 01:40 PM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
I'm not aware of any change in the X1 software about this. I got my car last December and the steering wheel has always taken a long time to heat up, and doesn't get as intense as my F30. I had the car at the dealer in April for the airbag recall and had them look at it; they said this is normal functionality.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:26 PM   #3
Beembar51
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

Heated Wheel and Seats

We've had a couple of chilly mornings here in NC. I turned on the heated steering wheel and seats. I felt nothing until I put both of them on the highest settings. And even then it took an interminable amount of time to feel anything. Compared to every other BMW I've had (G20, F30, E90, F10, E84, F48, you get it) it sucks. And why couldn't BMW just leave the button on the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 03:57 PM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beembar51 View Post
We've had a couple of chilly mornings here in NC. I turned on the heated steering wheel and seats. I felt nothing until I put both of them on the highest settings. And even then it took an interminable amount of time to feel anything. Compared to every other BMW I've had (G20, F30, E90, F10, E84, F48, you get it) it sucks. And why couldn't BMW just leave the button on the steering wheel?
My seat gets really hot really quick; not so much with the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #5
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

I had the same issue. The heating intensity for the seats and wheel is connected to the automatic climate program. If you turn off the auto climate, so it is on manual, then you will see much better performance from the heated wheel and seats. I didn't believe it until I tried it. It works.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2023, 04:54 PM   #6
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04S View Post
I had the same issue. The heating intensity for the seats and wheel is connected to the automatic climate program. If you turn off the auto climate, so it is on manual, then you will see much better performance from the heated wheel and seats. I didn't believe it until I tried it. It works.
Really, why the hell are the linked. We haven’t really had ours on yet, as a test we did turn it on when it was hot and it worked. As for winter performance we shall see.

My X3 wheel gets too hot for me, something a little cooler would be better, why they have gone with something much cooler is baffling. The X1 has some odd things in it at times.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 06:40 AM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Really, why the hell are the linked. We haven’t really had ours on yet, as a test we did turn it on when it was hot and it worked. As for winter performance we shall see.

My X3 wheel gets too hot for me, something a little cooler would be better, why they have gone with something much cooler is baffling. The X1 has some odd things in it at times.
It's counter-intuitive. My 328 wheel got real hot real quick, but the heat was either on or off; now the X1 has levels, including "Very Hot", and I can't get it as hot as my 328. I actually don't want it very hot, I just want it to heat up quickly so I can turn it down to a comfortable level, like the seats.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 07:11 AM   #8
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
It's counter-intuitive. My 328 wheel got real hot real quick, but the heat was either on or off; now the X1 has levels, including "Very Hot", and I can't get it as hot as my 328. I actually don't want it very hot, I just want it to heat up quickly so I can turn it down to a comfortable level, like the seats.
Yeah agreed, wonder why they have gone for this, I bet its configurable somewhere like the seats are via coding but you can't code the X1's now its all held within BMWs control.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #9
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Just tried the heated steering wheel on highest with manual climate setup as mentioned. This is quite pathetic compared to my previous m235i sedan. That wheel had button and got toasty good. Contrast to this, barely feeling it. Actually it is no good for Canada winter climate. I'd give this a 3 out of ten. Certainly it must get warmer than this on "highest" setting? The seats seem ok on highest. Maybe they are going to have a "pay for hotter " steering wheel subscription 😅
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:06 AM   #10
BMWTORONTO123
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
Just tried the heated steering wheel on highest with manual climate setup as mentioned. This is quite pathetic compared to my previous m235i sedan. That wheel had button and got toasty good. Contrast to this, barely feeling it. Actually it is no good for Canada winter climate. I'd give this a 3 out of ten. Certainly it must get warmer than this on "highest" setting? The seats seem ok on highest. Maybe they are going to have a "pay for hotter " steering wheel subscription 😅
I totally agree, this is not sufficient for a Canadian winter!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 03:55 PM   #11
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Heated steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
When was your X1 produced ? Im wondering if there has been a recent software update to cure the mediocre heated steering wheel ???
      09-28-2023, 07:22 PM   #12
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
When was your X1 produced ? Im wondering if there has been a recent software update to cure the mediocre heated steering wheel ???
April build.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:53 AM   #13
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
My seat gets really hot really quick; not so much with the steering wheel.
That's my experience as well. Built November 2022 and all remote software upgrades applied.
      10-18-2023, 09:33 AM   #14
jihong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

I had this complaint when I first received the car back in February. Brought it to the dealer thinking something was wrong because I could barely feel the heat even on high. They told me it's functioning fine and that BMW is probably reducing temperatures due to complaints of "burning hands" on prior models. Sounds stupid...if it's burning your hands, decrease the level (unless it was a model with just an on/off function).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 09:43 AM   #15
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihong View Post
I had this complaint when I first received the car back in February. Brought it to the dealer thinking something was wrong because I could barely feel the heat even on high. They told me it's functioning fine and that BMW is probably reducing temperatures due to complaints of "burning hands" on prior models. Sounds stupid...if it's burning your hands, decrease the level (unless it was a model with just an on/off function).
I can say that the wheel in my X3 is too hot, I find it uncomfortable to keep on for a long period but it is just that on or off. The X1 seems to be tepid to warm mere taking the chill off. I've tried it but only for a few minutes and it isn't winter here yet so final verdict is a way off but it's good rather than great in the U11 X1.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 10:34 AM   #16
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihong View Post
They added low/medium/high functionality -- isn't THAT the solution for people that think it's too hot????
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #17
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

I was reading that if you’re in efficient mode, then all climate systems run on “low output” or something like that, but it states that all non essential systems will run at a lower power than if in other modes (personal/sport)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 02:28 PM   #18
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
I was reading that if you’re in efficient mode, then all climate systems run on “low output” or something like that, but it states that all non essential systems will run at a lower power than if in other modes (personal/sport)
There is an option to run the climate and lighting systems normally in Efficient Mode. We have done this and the steering wheel still takes a long time to warm up.
      10-25-2023, 02:34 PM   #19
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
This is NOT the heated steering wheel issue
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:32 PM   #20
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
I’ve read from other posting that there are 4 heat settings for wheel & seats but in fact there 4 “INTENSITY” SETTINGS IN THE HVAC SETTINGS & 3 heat settings that you have access to with a push of a button. If you believe yours is heating up to slowly be sure Your INTENSITY setting is not set to the lowest setting.
Appreciate 0