BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Do you have a towing options menu if you did not get the bmw hitch?

01-16-2024, 06:58 AM   #1
spmcewen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Do you have a towing options menu if you did not get the bmw hitch?

I ordered my ‘23 x1 with the X-line trim and the bmw hitch. I originally was considering the m sport but at the time Stealth Hitch didn’t have their updated product for the car and there were no m sport models in the dealership’s queue that I could modify. X line looked A LOT better in person especially with black paint so I went with it.

I have only used my bike rack with it so far but I’m pretty impressed by the towing capacity ratings of the car and all the options in towing menu. Eventually I’ll probably get a 5x8 trailer for kayaks and other large purchases. That will have more capability, both in weight capacity and volume, than most pickup trucks. The 3500 pound towing capacity and hitch weight limit is drastically higher than what my RDX limits are.

I’m curious if everyone gets the towing options menu or if you only have it activated if you chose the bmw installed hitch.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:03 AM   #2
enjay77
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcewen View Post
I ordered my ‘23 x1 with the X-line trim and the bmw hitch. I originally was considering the m sport but at the time Stealth Hitch didn’t have their updated product for the car and there were no m sport models in the dealership’s queue that I could modify. X line looked A LOT better in person especially with black paint so I went with it.

I have only used my bike rack with it so far but I’m pretty impressed by the towing capacity ratings of the car and all the options in towing menu. Eventually I’ll probably get a 5x8 trailer for kayaks and other large purchases. That will have more capability, both in weight capacity and volume, than most pickup trucks. The 3500 pound towing capacity and hitch weight limit is drastically higher than what my RDX limits are.

I’m curious if everyone gets the towing options menu or if you only have it activated if you chose the bmw installed hitch.
If it is the retractable version added at the factory then you should automatically have trailer options.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:34 AM   #3
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjay77 View Post
If it is the retractable version added at the factory then you should automatically have trailer options.
retractable tow hitch is not available in the US.
Appreciate 1
metapod30.00
      01-16-2024, 05:24 PM   #4
spmcewen
Private
Rep

I should have clarified - I'm in the USA. Those retractable hitches the rest of the world gets are pretty neat though. Plain old 1.25" receiver here. SpaceSilver.X1 - I think you have an m-sport? Do you have the towing options menu in the driver assist menu? I'm really curious if BMW includes this with all cars and if it's a reason to get the BMW hitch instead of after market
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:34 PM   #5
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
I should have clarified - I'm in the USA. Those retractable hitches the rest of the world gets are pretty neat though. Plain old 1.25" receiver here. SpaceSilver.X1 - I think you have an m-sport? Do you have the towing options menu in the driver assist menu? I'm really curious if BMW includes this with all cars and if it's a reason to get the BMW hitch instead of after market
M Sport could not be ordered with the hitch, so I guess that why I dont' see anything in the menus. Only the X-Line can be had with a BMW hitch.(if I remember correctly, ordering the hitch will delete the kick-to-open liftgate function)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 10:09 AM   #6
spmcewen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilver.X1 View Post
M Sport could not be ordered with the hitch, so I guess that why I dont' see anything in the menus. Only the X-Line can be had with a BMW hitch.(if I remember correctly, ordering the hitch will delete the kick-to-open liftgate function)
Makes sense that the m sport wouldn't have the menu. Now I wonder if all x-line models have the towing menu or not. I've never had a car with these options. It was interesting using my bike carrier and having the car refuse to back up since I didn't set it to carrier mode. I don't think you'd get this functionality with a 3rd party hitch. Here is what it looks like:

Name:  IMG_2232.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  251.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2233.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  237.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 01:56 PM   #7
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense that the m sport wouldn't have the menu. Now I wonder if all x-line models have the towing menu or not.

I'm looking at the the menus right now, don't see the trailer option at the bottom.

as for the car refusing to back up, there's another option somewhere to disable it.(forgot what it's called, but something to do with the back up sensors)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 02:09 PM   #8
spmcewen
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm looking at the the menus right now, don't see the trailer option at the bottom.

as for the car refusing to back up, there's another option somewhere to disable it.(forgot what it's called, but something to do with the back up sensors)
Interesting - I assume cars without the hitch don't get the hitch camera view assist either. This all makes me glad that I went with the factory install option instead of an after market option!

And yes - when it applied the brakes and refused to back up there was an option to override it a single time. I've found the option to disable completely in the menu as well. Setting the trailer mode also disables it and some other automated driving features as well I believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 02:26 PM   #9
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Interesting - I assume cars without the hitch don't get the hitch camera view assist either.
I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of picture of what the hitch camera view look like. Thanks!

Since you have the factory BMW hitch, is there no kick-to-open tailgate function?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 06:32 PM   #10
spmcewen
Private
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of picture of what the hitch camera view look like. Thanks!

Since you have the factory BMW hitch, is there no kick-to-open tailgate function?
That's correct, you do lose the kick to open tailgate with the hitch. I'm ok with that.

When I go into the parking cameras menu, then more, I have a Trailer Coupling View option. Kinda funny the icon looks like the European style hitches that swing out automatically from under the bumper. I believe with those you can't use a normal hitch style bike rack that's popular here, perhaps due to blocking the plate and brake lights? The ones I have seen that work on a swing out ball mount hitch are giant things with lights and plates: https://etowbars.com/image/data/bike...he-towball.jpg

Name:  IMG_2235.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  155.9 KB

When I go into that I get this camera view to help align with a ball hitch.

Name:  IMG_2236.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  278.2 KB

If I go into the driver assist menu and say that I have a trailer attached I get the option to start the Trailer Assistant

Name:  IMG_2239.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  210.2 KB

Activating that looks like this:

Name:  IMG_2237.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  255.5 KB

I'm pretty happy to have confirmed I do in fact have the trailer assistant - it looks pretty cool:

Last edited by spmcewen; 01-17-2024 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2024, 07:09 PM   #11
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
That's correct, you do lose the kick to open tailgate with the hitch. I'm ok with that.
Thanks for the pics!

as for kick to open tailgate... while it's useful sometimes, it can also be frustrating when I'm washing, drying or polish my car. If I forget to lock the car first and the key fob or phone is anywhere near the garage, the tailgate open whenever my hand or the towel is wiping just below the bumper. The stupid sensor doesn't know that my hand is not my foot. Yes, I know.. first world problem.
Appreciate 0