BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Tire wear measurement

04-27-2024, 10:45 AM   #23
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
I reran in vehicle tire set up as mentioned within the forum & after that the TIRE WEAR info came up on the app. It somehow recognized the factory tires & they are now displayed in the app. No idea how it does it nor why it did not for past 4-1/2 months since I picked it up. 🙃
Technology is great when it works BUT SUCKS when it doesn’t
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2024, 11:03 AM   #24
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markronnie View Post
I reran in vehicle tire set up as mentioned within the forum & after that the TIRE WEAR info came up on the app.
Glad to hear that worked.
      04-28-2024, 05:04 AM   #25
ccs368
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroleum View Post
do thieves still steal wheels in NY or the Tri-State area these days?

I knew that tire rotation was not included in the free BMW oil change for the first three years. I asked the dealer to do it because they only charged $52(after tax). They rebalanced all fore tires and did the front-to-rear rotation.(left front to left rear, right front to right rear and vice versa) My local tire shops or even Costco charge about the same when tires are not purchased from them. Even if Costco does it for me for free, I'm sure I can easily spend a couple hundred bucks inside while waiting for them to rotate the tires. Letting the BMW dealer do it at the same time saved me time for only a few bucks more.

I can do it myself, but I'm too lazy these days. My torque wrench broke last year and I didn't feel like spending $140 to buy another one.

FWD cars like the xDrive X1 drive on the front wheels 99% of the time. The front tires will no doubt wear faster than the rear tires, so rotation is definitely needed in order to even out the wear.
I would believe the aftermarket wheels would be targeted first before the OE wheels are stolen in my opinion. I have the butt ugly V spoke bi-color style 866 so don’t think anyone wants those fortunately. SpaceSilver.X1 got hit recently I believe and recalled that another minute longer, his wheels would have been gone.

I agree that the fronts wear faster and hopefully the algorithm for the tire wear display app is not just an odometer with predictive wear. Strange this may be a BMW directive to dealers that rotation is not included. Rotation has more benefits that also separates the corrosion buildup between the wheel and the hub and if left alone for years, you’ll need to break free with a rubber mallet etc. etc. and hate to have this happen if you need to replace with spare during true emergency. Ask how I know.

Cheapie $20 harbor freight torque wrenches are suitable for me and when I brought it to work using a torque gauge, it met stated accuracy range as long as you slowly creep to your setting.
Appreciate 0