BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) roof rails and box

05-01-2024, 12:05 PM   #1
intero
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25e

roof rails and box

hello, do you have any recommendations for roof rails and roof box? i am driving a bmw x1 (new one) but would like something that i can use with different brands too.

i don't really know what are the aspects to pay attention to: i believe there's the shape of the rails and of the box that can cause more or less sound when you drive fast, but apart from that i'd not know what i am looking for.

thanks for suggestions
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 12:16 PM   #2
X1-CT
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by intero View Post
hello, do you have any recommendations for roof rails and roof box? i am driving a bmw x1 (new one) but would like something that i can use with different brands too.

i don't really know what are the aspects to pay attention to: i believe there's the shape of the rails and of the box that can cause more or less sound when you drive fast, but apart from that i'd not know what i am looking for.

thanks for suggestions
I did a lot of research on this.
1st. The OEM cross bars are very tall and bulky and don’t come in black.
I got these Thule WingBar Edge cross bars. They are low profile. The moonroof still opens just fine and they are aerodynamic.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...edge-_-1035184

For the roof box I got the Thule Motion XT Large. I think the XL will fit fine too but it was bigger than I need.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/cargo-ca...n-3-l-_-639750

The Motion XT are nice because they are gloss black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 02:48 PM   #3
Petroleum
Private
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1-CT View Post
I did a lot of research on this.
1st. The OEM cross bars are very tall and bulky and don’t come in black.
I got these Thule WingBar Edge cross bars. They are low profile. The moonroof still opens just fine and they are aerodynamic.
Thanks for the photos!

my BMW dealer has the roof racks dedicated for the 2023-2024 X1(U11) for just $287 + sales tax.

I have the Thule box from my other car. I just wish the Thule racks don't cost twice as much as the BMW factory racks.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 08:36 AM   #4
X1-CT
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroleum View Post
Thanks for the photos!

my BMW dealer has the roof racks dedicated for the 2023-2024 X1(U11) for just $287 + sales tax.

I have the Thule box from my other car. I just wish the Thule racks don't cost twice as much as the BMW factory racks.
Truly crazy how expensive they are. I really only went that route for MPG and the look of lower profile rails.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 05:55 PM   #5
Petroleum
Private
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1-CT View Post
Truly crazy how expensive they are. I really only went that route for MPG and the look of lower profile rails.
can't believe that genuine BMW roof racks are so cheap. (can't say that about anything else that has a BMW logo on it)
Appreciate 0