BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) My X1 Experience

12-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #23
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Couple more thoughts after a long long weekend...

CORRECTION

Yes - the mirrors fold in and can be set to do so automatically on lock. There's even a button for it on the driver side door console.
Yes - you can change the HUD projection height (along with brightness and tilt). I wish position left and right was an option but now I'm being nit picky.

PROS

Debadging was easy even in single degree temps... some dental floss, a hair dryer and patience was all I needed. I used some "goo gone" to clean up any remaining mess in a few minutes time.

I did figure out how to setup both the key card and wireless key though, I haven't (knowingly) used either yet. It was pretty easy to configure but setting your phone as a digital key does require both key fobs in the car for whatever reason.

The garage door pairing/ opening works really well and was a breeze to set up. (Hold the button until it flashes yellow, hold down the button on your existing opener, green light and paired).

I love walking up to the X1 and having it recognize me coming... it spins the mirrors down, beeps and then puts the headlights and puddle lights on; the car is welcoming me!

The launch feature is pretty cool and there's definitely a noticeable increase in acceleration when you are in the "the boost".

The app works pretty well for remote control features like preheating the car, locking or unlocking the doors or even checking the interior/ surroundings remotely.

CONS

The lack of an electric telescopic steering wheel and the range of manual telescopic wheel is definitely something that I'm getting used to. I generally like the wheel up high for ease of entry/ exit and lower while driving. I find that doing this in the X1 causes my leg to bang the height adjustment lever on entry and exit... I might just need to leave the wheel high.

The "Hey BMW" (personal assistant) function seems to time out and die quite a bit, even on routine functions. I'm sure that lagginess/ bugginess can be fixed in future updates.

The interior camera is cool but it would be nice to have it on when the car is in motion, so I could keep an eye on my son the backseat. Right now it equates to nothing more than a "photo booth" functionality.

Sport mode can't be set as the default starting option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:10 AM   #24
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
pretty sure that the eSIM is not available in the X1.. at least I wasn't able to find any mention of it anywher.

By the way, if it's not too much trouble, could you take pictures or videos showing the red rear turn signal in action?

Just wondering if they are as visible as the regular amber turn signals in German/Euro-spec X1s.(like the ones below)

Thanks!
The ESIM lets you use your car as a phone without using your actual phone. Without it the car is still on the cell network. Like an iPad with cellular, it has a phone number but doesn’t have a voice plan.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:15 AM   #25
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdx93 View Post
Looks nice. Hope mine will look as cool as yours. I have the similar configuration except that both exterior and interior colors are black.
Ahh, the full midnight. Did you get the Alcantara seats with the M flag, those looked cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saws View Post
awesome, looks really good.
love the headlight beam pattern, assuming that was low beam only.
Thank you sir! I've been loving it!!

I can take a picture with the different beam settings later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I only have the Convenience Pkg, so I don't have the drive recorder. I've tried the parking assistant a couple of times backing out of spaces ... I just freaked my wife out using it today. I haven't been brave enough to try pulling into a spot yet, and I haven't been anywhere with parallel spots yet.

I don't know about the eSIM but I have encountered a number of menus in all the settings where it is grayed out and says "Function Unavailable".
I will play with this when I feel like a bit more confident.

My brother was using the backout function and it was heading straight for my wife's car... I want to believe it would stop or avoid it but we didn't test lol.

Quote:
pretty sure that the eSIM is not available in the X1.. at least I wasn't able to find any mention of it anywher.

By the way, if it's not too much trouble, could you take pictures or videos showing the red rear turn signal in action?

Just wondering if they are as visible as the regular amber turn signals in German/Euro-spec X1s.(like the ones below)

Thanks!
Absolutely my dude! I'll do this later on today.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #26
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird71 View Post
The ESIM lets you use your car as a phone without using your actual phone. Without it the car is still on the cell network. Like an iPad with cellular, it has a phone number but doesn’t have a voice plan.
It has it as an option in the app but it's greyed out, I'm not sure if it's just activated yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #27
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
What mode is this??? Launch???

xLine doesn't offer that design in the instrument panel configurations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:42 AM   #28
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
It has it as an option in the app but it's greyed out, I'm not sure if it's just activated yet.
Right. But as best I can tell this gets you the ability to pay TMobile $20 a month to have your car be a phone.

You don’t need the esim to get roadside assistance in an accident or to access the cameras when you are away from the car, or start ventilating it remotely. Your car is on the cell network even without the esim.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41912.50
      12-29-2022, 09:55 AM   #29
bcdx93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X1

Thanks for the updates. Great information.

What's the "The launch feature"?

Quote:
Couple more thoughts after a long long weekend...

CORRECTION

Yes - the mirrors fold in and can be set to do so automatically on lock. There's even a button for it on the driver side door console.
Yes - you can change the HUD projection height (along with brightness and tilt). I wish position left and right was an option but now I'm being nit picky.

PROS

Debadging was easy even in single degree temps... some dental floss, a hair dryer and patience was all I needed. I used some "goo gone" to clean up any remaining mess in a few minutes time.

I did figure out how to setup both the key card and wireless key though, I haven't (knowingly) used either yet. It was pretty easy to configure but setting your phone as a digital key does require both key fobs in the car for whatever reason.

The garage door pairing/ opening works really well and was a breeze to set up. (Hold the button until it flashes yellow, hold down the button on your existing opener, green light and paired).

I love walking up to the X1 and having it recognize me coming... it spins the mirrors down, beeps and then puts the headlights and puddle lights on; the car is welcoming me!

The launch feature is pretty cool and there's definitely a noticeable increase in acceleration when you are in the "the boost".

The app works pretty well for remote control features like preheating the car, locking or unlocking the doors or even checking the interior/ surroundings remotely.

CONS

The lack of an electric telescopic steering wheel and the range of manual telescopic wheel is definitely something that I'm getting used to. I generally like the wheel up high for ease of entry/ exit and lower while driving. I find that doing this in the X1 causes my leg to bang the height adjustment lever on entry and exit... I might just need to leave the wheel high.

The "Hey BMW" (personal assistant) function seems to time out and die quite a bit, even on routine functions. I'm sure that lagginess/ bugginess can be fixed in future updates.

The interior camera is cool but it would be nice to have it on when the car is in motion, so I could keep an eye on my son the backseat. Right now it equates to nothing more than a "photo booth" functionality.

Sport mode can't be set as the default starting option.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #30
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Right. But as best I can tell this gets you the ability to pay TMobile $20 a month to have your car be a phone.

You don’t need the esim to get roadside assistance in an accident or to access the cameras when you are away from the car, or start ventilating it remotely. Your car is on the cell network even without the esim.
Adding, you can see you car’s “phone number” in My Garage”
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 10:06 AM   #31
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:

engine remote start is $300 when ordered with the car... or $360 when paid later as a subscription.

if it's ordered with the car(on the build sheet and MSRP sticker), it's obviously there forever.... but if one purchases it later, does the $360 subscription follow the car when it's sold to the next owner?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #32
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
engine remote start is $300 when ordered with the car... or $360 when paid later as a subscription.

if it's ordered with the car(on the build sheet and MSRP sticker), it's obviously there forever.... but if one purchases it later, does the $360 subscription follow the car when it's sold to the next owner?
thanks!
From ConnectedDrive T&C’s:

Terminating or Transferring Services. You or a subsequent owner of your vehicle may terminate Services to your vehicle. If you sell your vehicle during the initial BMW-paid Services period, all Services on the vehicle transfer to the new owner. If you purchased any optional Services either during the initial Services period or anytime thereafter and sell your vehicle, those Services remain with the vehicle unless you terminate them. If you decide to terminate any such Services, please refer to Section 8 Term, Termination and Disabling Services for further details. You may terminate or disable your Services by contacting BMW Assist Customer Care at (888) 333- 6118. You may remove your vehicle from your ConnectedDrive account on https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #33
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

More Pics

I did upload some pictures/gifs of the blinkers (no yellow in the rear ), what the ultrabrights look like and the boost countdown.

Quote:

Right, yep. I did the update my plan to pay the additional $20 but then it didn't let me add it. I realize now, yeah it's on cellular all by itself.

RAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
What mode is this??? Launch???

xLine doesn't offer that design in the instrument panel configurations.
Yeah, if you have the M Sport, you can hold down the boost(left paddle) and a little count down clock starts counting down from 10, hit the gas at zero and you go into the boost. It actually increases the 0-60 from the 6.2 it was speced at to the mid 5's.

The X1's launch control software, when combined with the boost function, enabled the X1 to sprint to 60 mph in just 5.6 seconds, 0.6 second quicker than BMW's typically conservative factory estimate. Braking to a stop from 60 mph took 115 feet, the exercise completed with no drama and only slight body movement

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...t-test-review/

Quote:
Adding, you can see you car’s “phone number” in My Garage”
This is cool, I do see this now! Very cool.

Quote:
From ConnectedDrive T&C’s:

Terminating or Transferring Services. You or a subsequent owner of your vehicle may terminate Services to your vehicle. If you sell your vehicle during the initial BMW-paid Services period, all Services on the vehicle transfer to the new owner. If you purchased any optional Services either during the initial Services period or anytime thereafter and sell your vehicle, those Services remain with the vehicle unless you terminate them. If you decide to terminate any such Services, please refer to Section 8 Term, Termination and Disabling Services for further details. You may terminate or disable your Services by contacting BMW Assist Customer Care at (888) 333- 6118. You may remove your vehicle from your ConnectedDrive account on https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com.
Interesting, yeah I just bought all the stuff with the car. So no worries here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 01:11 PM   #34
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
More Pics
Thank you!

Now I have 3 things to buy when I'm in Germany next April:

convex exterior mirrors

left/right amber rear turn signal lights(and housings/connectors)

"i" badges and blue trim pieces.(from the iX1)

possibly even the rear headrests, if they'll fit on US-spec rear seats)

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 01:39 PM   #35
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Should you be using the launch before break-in is completed? I know on my last two vehicles that was verboten per the owners manual until ~1200 miles. I haven't checked my wife's X1 manual to see if this is still a requirement
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #36
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Should you be using the launch before break-in is completed? I know on my last two vehicles that was verboten per the owners manual until ~1200 miles. I haven't checked my wife's X1 manual to see if this is still a requirement

Copied directly from the 2023 BMW X1's owner's manual:

Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Do not exceed the maximum engine and road speed:
For gasoline engine 4,500 rpm and 100 mph/160 km/h.
Avoid full throttle or kickdown under all circumstances.

From 1,200 miles/2,000 km
The engine and vehicle speed can gradually be increased.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 03:46 PM   #37
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Exactly my point...shouldn't this have been quoted to the OP though vs me
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 04:33 PM   #38
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly my point...shouldn't this have been quoted to the OP though vs me
also no need to quote that to folks who are leasing their X1, or any other car/SUV...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 04:40 PM   #39
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
also no need to quote that to folks who are leasing their X1, or any other car/SUV...
Huh? If the car ever ran into issues, lease or otherwise, and a serious issue developed and BMW scan the ecu and find out vehicle was abused then who do you think will be responsible for repairs.

Or...treat the vehicle in such a way that it's an issue for the next owner? Either way...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 05:06 PM   #40
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Huh? If the car ever ran into issues, lease or otherwise, and a serious issue developed and BMW scan the ecu and find out vehicle was abused then who do you think will be responsible for repairs.

Or...treat the vehicle in such a way that it's an issue for the next owner? Either way...
drive it hard legally and safely... not abuse it...

(below is from my thread on the Mercedes forum last year... yes, I'm OCD about the cars that I buy... but I drive my leased cars/SUVs really hard... but again, safely and legally )
on the cars that I buy outright, I treat them nicely.... such as my old C43 AMG(W202). The Mobil 1 0W-40 oil and filter were always changed every 1500 miles in my own garage. Since delivery at 7 miles, I never revved the engine more than 2000rpm until well past 3000 miles. Mercedes so-called "lifetime" transmission fluid always flushed every 10,000 miles or 2 years, whichever came first. All air filters, coolant and brake fluid always changed every 12 months regardless of mileage. It is also never driven in the rain or snow. After washing it, it is thoroughly dried with fine towels and air blowers to ensure complete dryness. Oh....also... never carried drinks or food(not even gum) inside the car. I also take off my shoes and put on clean driving shoes when I get in the car. The outside shoes are put in a plastic bag and put on the passenger side floormat. 22 years later, it still looks spanking new and drives like new.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 05:39 PM   #41
Speedbird71
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Also from page 278:

During break-in, do not use the Launch Control.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 05:41 PM   #42
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it was strange after I did the launch the engine bay burst into flames.

Weird.

Read my first post ...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 05:46 PM   #43
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Also from page 278:

During break-in, do not use the Launch Control.
I believe with the amount of tech in the car, were that a hard requirement it wouldn't let me do it. There are quite a few features that won't work under certain conditions (Interior camera, remote start, etc.) .

I was able to put the engine bay fire out, btw... only a few bothans died.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 05:46 PM   #44
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it was strange after I did the launch the engine bay burst into flames.

Weird.

Read my first post ...
Hmmm...funny. And I did read your first post, hence my post.

In any event, enjoy the vehicle, for as long as it lasts. Happy New Year!
Appreciate 0