BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) iDrive 9 Update

02-24-2023, 06:46 AM   #23
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
I wouldn't be too fearful of ID8 and just getting that. It seems that many new cars even the new 5 is going to get ID8 not ID9 certainly at the start. Why I don't know but I thought that was what was being suggested so there will be a LOT of models still on ID8 across the BMW range.
This is true, but in all the other models you don’t have to option to choose between ID8 and ID9.
All the new cars are mainly based on the new technology that they implement and the main Human-Machine interface is the multimedia system, therefore the operation system of the multimedia device is not trivial and secondary issue.
I am also worried about the new functionalities that ID9 may have, which by all means will not be ported to ID8.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 08:07 AM   #24
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

ID9 gets BMWs App Store.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 08:29 AM   #25
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Wanting to always have the latest is not necessarily a good thing. Think about all the early 'adopters' who had the buggy version of ID8...only with early adoption of ID9, it's likely to be worse given the change in platform. Why else is bmw being selective about which vehicles will get ID9? Oh, and while access to the Play store will eventually be pretty cool, it will only serve to complicate matters in the immediate term, especially for non-techs, trust me. You're already seeing some of that with ID8...

Be careful what you wish for...
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
tex26702423.00
      02-24-2023, 08:51 AM   #26
blazeforth23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Wanting to always have the latest is not necessarily a good thing. Think about all the early 'adopters' who had the buggy version of ID8...only with early adoption of ID9, it's likely to be worse given the change in platform. Why else is bmw being selective about which vehicles will get ID9? Oh, and while access to the Play store will eventually be pretty cool, it will only serve to complicate matters in the immediate term, especially for non-techs, trust me. You're already seeing some of that with ID8...

Be careful what you wish for...
From what I understand ID9 is Android based, not google based. Won't be getting a playstore, instead it's an app store developed by BMW. So I don't think there will be a lot apps readily available. But need to confirm once ID9 arrives.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:03 AM   #27
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeforth23 View Post
From what I understand ID9 is Android based, not google based. Won't be getting a playstore, instead it's an app store developed by BMW. So I don't think there will be a lot apps readily available. But need to confirm once ID9 arrives.
Correct, but opinion still stands even if the current play store isn't actually tied to id9, but rather some sort of subset. Either way...speaking as a former sw engineer, I can attest to the latest & greatest not always working out in the short term, particularly in vehicles and especially these last ~5 years or thereabouts...the pressure on developers can be at times, quite intense, to hit the market sooner than later...who pays...consumer in this case. IMO.

EDIT: why the rush anyway? Didn't most peeps buy this vehicle for performance, handling, (some) reliability? It's just sw for your infotainment...sadly that's become the driving factor in buying a vehicle these days. Honestly will id__ really improve your life behind the wheel? I mean REALLY?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:24 AM   #28
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Quote:
EDIT: why the rush anyway? Didn't most peeps buy this vehicle for performance, handling, (some) reliability? It's just sw for your infotainment...sadly that's become the driving factor in buying a vehicle these days. Honestly will id__ really improve your life behind the wheel? I mean REALLY?
I purchased this vehicle last December specifically for ID9 and became disappointed when they announced ID8 would not be upgradable. Such salty tears.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:32 AM   #29
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Correct, but opinion still stands even if the current play store isn't actually tied to id9, but rather some sort of subset. Either way...speaking as a former sw engineer, I can attest to the latest & greatest not always working out in the short term, particularly in vehicles and especially these last ~5 years or thereabouts...the pressure on developers can be at times, quite intense, to hit the market sooner than later...who pays...consumer in this case. IMO.

Unfortunately, it is not “just sw for your infotainment”...
The term infotainment is outdated. It is about the “control system” of the car. This system actually sets the driving modes, while the “driving assistant” can totally control the car behavior in self-driving mode and the parking assistant sets the correct maneuvers for car parking. All these functionalities are controlled by the “infotainment” through the corresponding operational system, thus it is not a trivial issue as I mentioned previously.
It is not a matter of some fancy icons, but if the ID8 is going to be the “old BMW system” then you will soon end up with a vehicle with less functionalities and support.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:38 AM   #30
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnone View Post
Unfortunately, it is not “just sw for your infotainment”...
The term infotainment is outdated. It is about the “control system” of the car. This system actually sets the driving modes, while the “driving assistant” can totally control the car behavior in self-driving mode and the parking assistant sets the correct maneuvers for car parking. All these functionalities are controlled by the “infotainment” through the corresponding operational system, thus it is not a trivial issue as I mentioned previously.
It is not a matter of some fancy icons, but if the ID8 is going to be the “old BMW system” then you will soon end up with a vehicle with less functionalities and support.
All the more reason then, no? If it's controlling critical or key aspects of your vehicle, why jump on the bandwagon? Let others be the guinea pigs frankly.

That said I wonder how many folks here who are wishing for id9 will be back here in ~6 months complaining how buggy it is....there are complaints already on some of the other forums. Again, opinion only. Agree or disagree.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:39 AM   #31
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
I purchased this vehicle last December specifically for ID9 and became disappointed when they announced ID8 would not be upgradable. Such salty tears.
Wondering what it was you were specifically after with id9? You don't have to answer, just curious
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 10:14 AM   #32
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep

For me it guarantees longer term Software Updates. Bugs will be rectified due to it being rolled out across the range. ID8 is to get a cosmetic update to ID8.5 so it "looks" the same as ID9, but 8.5 is a sunset system, ultimately unsupported for new features.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 11:56 AM   #33
blazeforth23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All the more reason then, no? If it's controlling critical or key aspects of your vehicle, why jump on the bandwagon? Let others be the guinea pigs frankly.

That said I wonder how many folks here who are wishing for id9 will be back here in ~6 months complaining how buggy it is....there are complaints already on some of the other forums. Again, opinion only. Agree or disagree.
It will be the same, people start to complain if ID9 becomes so good, and all the new features gets released to ID9 and they don't update to ID8. It's not about old infotainment anymore, now this system is how you control all the elements of your car which includes climate control, drive modes, everything now comes under control centre.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:03 PM   #34
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It will be the same, people start to complain if ID9 becomes so good, and all the new features gets released to ID9 and they don't update to ID8. It's not about old infotainment anymore, now this system is how you control all the elements of your car which includes climate control, drive modes, everything now comes under control centre.
And that'll be different in id9 how exactly? You haven't seen id9 in action so how do you know it'll be better or worse for that matter than id8?

Listen, I get versions change. My comments are based solely on the fact that there are folks out there seemingly bent out of shape because they ordered their vehicle too soon w/o knowing about the next great ID version....

It's unlikely you'll be driving this vehicle more than 3 or 4 years anyway....by then it'll be id14

Last edited by BMWZ4; 02-25-2023 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:07 PM   #35
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFDIT View Post
For me it guarantees longer term Software Updates. Bugs will be rectified due to it being rolled out across the range. ID8 is to get a cosmetic update to ID8.5 so it "looks" the same as ID9, but 8.5 is a sunset system, ultimately unsupported for new features.
I got an update last August (2022) from the dealer for my '20 X3mc which runs the first edition of ID7 (I.e. pre android auto)....so I don't agree with your "...guarantees longer term software updates..."

And as I said in the previous post...I seriously doubt you'll own this vehicle in ~4 years anyway....so moot point really
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:08 PM   #36
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
And that'll be different in id9 how exactly? You haven't seen id9 in action so how do you know it'll be better or worse for that matter than id8?

Listen, I get versions change. My comments are based solely on the fact that there are folks out there seemingly bent out of shape because they ordered their vehicle too soon w/o knowing about the next great I'd version....

It's unlikely you'll be driving this vehicle more than 3 or 4 years anyway....by then it'll be id14
Edit: this is fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:22 PM   #37
blazeforth23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Listen, I get versions change. My comments are based solely on the fact that there are folks out there seemingly bent out of shape because they ordered their vehicle too soon w/o knowing about the next great I'd version....

I thought you were the one saying ID9 will be buggy hell . All I am saying it can be good. And only "few" builds of X1 2023 model has ID8 and the rest is coming with ID9. And the company made a decision it will be ID9 for rest of the builds. So "IF" anything new goodies comes up, it "might" only be for ID9. It's BMW's fault, and believe me there are already threads popping up saying ID9 is getting this, is getting that and we are unlucky because we are stuck with ID8.
ID8 has issues, hopefully they fix that too instead of moving the entire focus to ID9. And nowadays everywhere including the suspension/auto start is controlled by softwares, even mercedes have implemented subscription feature if you need more power from engine etc. So there "might" be goodies, which ID8 "may" not get.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:27 PM   #38
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Listen, I get versions change. My comments are based solely on the fact that there are folks out there seemingly bent out of shape because they ordered their vehicle too soon w/o knowing about the next great iDrive version....

Those same folks ordered the car without seeing it in person or test driving it, so, whatever.... People always need something to complain about... the weather just doesn't cut it anymore....
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41912.50
      02-24-2023, 12:49 PM   #39
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Quote:
Wondering what it was you were specifically after with id9? You don't have to answer, just curious
Simple, 9 is greater than 8. Therefore it is better.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 01:06 PM   #40
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I cannot see the reason for arguing about the obvious.
You say ID8 is fine and ID9 will be buggy. Supposing this is true, what exactly is the point here?
This is always the case for new-generation products, but technology never turns back. The potential bugs will be soon fixed and all the new X1s will implement ID9.

Do you really want to buy a product that you know will be “previous generation” and not upgradable? Would you ever buy a PC running windows 10, knowing that it cannot be upgraded to windows 11, just because windows 10 is OK?
Appreciate 1
dejy60.00
      02-24-2023, 01:08 PM   #41
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep

The point is ID9 is on the Android architecture rather than Linux of the previous versions. This means two significantly different development streams, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where BMW will spend their development euros.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 02:18 PM   #42
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
While I tend to be an early adopter of tech, I’m actually not too bothered by having iDrive9. When I think about it, how much more functionality could they add just by switching the OS without adding any additional hardware? As far as I know, only the head unit is changing. And lots of cars are still running iDrive8 in the near future, so there will be support and updates for at least the next few years. I know they are adding an App Store, but it would most likely be native apps that I already use on CarPlay. I’ll reserve judgement until it actually starts arriving on vehicles and people have had time to compare the two.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41912.50
      02-25-2023, 02:51 AM   #43
bfaliszek
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 U11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFDIT View Post
The point is ID9 is on the Android architecture rather than Linux of the previous versions. This means two significantly different development streams, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where BMW will spend their development euros.
I heard that a car with iDrive 8 will not get iDrive 9 because iDrive 9 requires a new head unit. Besides being a change from Linux to Android, it's a shift from x86 to ARM processors. So cars with iDrive 8 will get an update to 8.5 but never to 9 because 9 requires completely different hardware to run.

Switching from x86 to ARM is a big saving for BMW. With mass production, this architecture is much cheaper. Changing the OS to Android Automotive means additional savings, because the system itself is developed by Google, and BMW will only adapt it to its cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 08:21 AM   #44
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The only thing need to worry in future is the software updates. Because some models are having ID8 in the beginning, and newer models are having ID9. Wonder how they are going to manage 2 versions of software updates for 1 model. Usually in IT industry the preference will always be for latest version, and the old version will receive only bug fixes. Not sure how it's going to be in car industry.
I posted earlier that I have received updates recently to my pre-LCI 2020 x3mc, which had the first (or possibly) second iteration of ID7...so effectively they're (currently) managing or will be managing 3 versions of ID software
Appreciate 0