BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) How is X1 PHEV Life going?

03-07-2023, 08:25 AM   #1
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

How is X1 PHEV Life going?

A few people got their 25e and 30e over the past few weeks. How are people finding them, the range, the ride.

Would be great to hear how its going.
Appreciate 1
mstav0.00
      03-07-2023, 11:58 AM   #2
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Well i will try to summarise my thoughts - delivered on 02.03 today 1200kms already,95% outside of the city ,average consumption is 6ltr/100kms or 39mpg (us) or 47mpg (uk).
Speeds were from 90-150km/h or 50-100mph.
I learned that you can play with the battery life and consumption via using the “Manage battery capacity “ settings ,otherwise the car always wants to use the battery.
The engine have a good pull without the electric drive ,combined is a smooth operator really kicks - honestly it reaches its top speed without thinking.

It has a nice sound note - typical 3cyl .
Driving on pure electric is smooth like expected ,thanks to the PHEV setup there is absolutely no hesitation from stop or any other time like reported from the pure petrol/diesel ones,the gear changes are smoother than the ZF (i had g30 lci brand new for couple of months before the X1 ).
Interestingly when you really step on it at least i cant feel any heart change its just accelerating.

Ride height- great i think pretty close to G01

Ride comfort - well damping is great,they need to rework or software update the rebound - on a wobbly road its just a tiny bit not ok,apart from that its smoother than expected.Sport mode with sport suspensions configuration eliminates most of it.
City driving - really comfortable but more on the stiffer side still not harsh one. - compared to F25 with sport suspension I had for 4 years.

Battery charging - depends alot
Battery recuperation- actually i think its really good and fast (but didnt have time to do actual city driving,will do in the next days and will share)

Overal as a whole from 1-10 i can give a 9
Appreciate 6
mstav0.00
MontyB11421.00
gnone3.00
FZI89428.50
mathys202.50
      03-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #3
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 30e

Good to read your positive first impressions.

I’ve a M Sport 30e on order but not due until July (hopefully) so looking forward to getting it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:09 PM   #4
OMandias_
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqbriel View Post
Well i will try to summarise my thoughts - delivered on 02.03 today 1200kms already,95% outside of the city ,average consumption is 6ltr/100kms or 39mpg (us) or 47mpg (uk).
Speeds were from 90-150km/h or 50-100mph.
I learned that you can play with the battery life and consumption via using the “Manage battery capacity “ settings ,otherwise the car always wants to use the battery.
The engine have a good pull without the electric drive ,combined is a smooth operator really kicks - honestly it reaches its top speed without thinking.

It has a nice sound note - typical 3cyl .
Driving on pure electric is smooth like expected ,thanks to the PHEV setup there is absolutely no hesitation from stop or any other time like reported from the pure petrol/diesel ones,the gear changes are smoother than the ZF (i had g30 lci brand new for couple of months before the X1 ).
Interestingly when you really step on it at least i cant feel any heart change its just accelerating.

Ride height- great i think pretty close to G01

Ride comfort - well damping is great,they need to rework or software update the rebound - on a wobbly road its just a tiny bit not ok,apart from that its smoother than expected.Sport mode with sport suspensions configuration eliminates most of it.
City driving - really comfortable but more on the stiffer side still not harsh one. - compared to F25 with sport suspension I had for 4 years.

Battery charging - depends alot
Battery recuperation- actually i think its really good and fast (but didnt have time to do actual city driving,will do in the next days and will share)

Overal as a whole from 1-10 i can give a 9
Do you happen to know what the battery is like in actual hybrid mode? For example say you've got a full tank of fuel and you've got your battery fully charged...with regular driving how many miles are you looking at before it finishes and revert to engine only? Assuming the battery can't outlast a full tank of fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #5
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMandias_ View Post
Do you happen to know what the battery is like in actual hybrid mode? For example say you've got a full tank of fuel and you've got your battery fully charged...with regular driving how many miles are you looking at before it finishes and revert to engine only? Assuming the battery can't outlast a full tank of fuel.
Define regular driving…
As mentioned if you choose Manage battery - full tank of fuel and the battery had 30kms left…without that setting it depends on the speed actually.
Below 120km/h battery is the priority and it doesnt last..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 02:03 PM   #6
pieboy1101
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive25e

Quote:
Where is this setting? I thought I'd been through all of them.

I've been driving too and from work, 20 minute drive with mix of city and highway driving. In the current weather 0-5C (32-40F) I'm getting about 60km (37mi) from the battery. I've been "pre-conditioning" the car before hopping in so its nice and warm on with street parking so that's definitely taking away some kms. When I have a full tank and full battery the car reads out a range around 700km (430mi).

Electric driving has been super smooth. No hesitation from full stops even when the battery is "empty". It still uses some electric before kicking the engine in to give pretty seamless starts. Engine steps in without a hitch when accelerating onto the highway and it really pulls. One thing I'm getting used to is the proactive regenerative braking the car does by itself. It seems to brake too early and doesn't come to a full stop for you. Not sure where to change this setting.

2.5 hours to a full charge is quite acceptable. I don't mind doing it about twice a week. Waiting for my work to get chargers.

Ride is alright, maybe a bit stiff for my tastes. Annoying little squeak comes from the rear when I come to a full stop.

I like the new cluster and armrest. Not a fan of nearly everything being a touchscreen button.

Overall I love this car, but that's coming from an '05 325xi.
Appreciate 1
gnone3.00
      03-07-2023, 02:05 PM   #7
OMandias_
Rep

Quote:
Define regular driving…
As mentioned if you choose Manage battery - full tank of fuel and the battery had 30kms left…without that setting it depends on the speed actually.
Below 120km/h battery is the priority and it doesnt last..
So what kind of distance would you be able to travel before the battery finishes? if you were mainly doing short journeys without any highway/motorway driving? assuming you're in the setting that prioritises battery usage (but not in pure EV mode)

Sorry hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 02:33 PM   #8
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So what kind of distance would you be able to travel before the battery finishes? if you were mainly doing short journeys without any highway/motorway driving? assuming you're in the setting that prioritises battery usage (but not in pure EV mode)

Sorry hope that makes sense.
I havent tested fully the discharge to 0 because i want to keep the extra horses when i need them but will try.

The settings is when you go to Personal model click on settings on the screen,click on middle tab and then select “manage battery capcity” set it to Active on longer journey,that way when u lift the pedal or going downhil it uses the battery and recharge if u brake,that way u have the full potential of the car when u need and driving slower uses battery - u need to adjust it by your driving style.
I can tell you battery at 92% - 420kms and i had 30kms left on electric and all the time when i needed harder acceleration the power was there
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 03:23 PM   #9
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sounds really positive thanks for the reviews so far. Great the X1 can go further as a PHEV than many rivals even amongst the BMW range.

It's a shame the ride appears a bit too firm on the M-Sport, unfortunately they rarely tune the car for the extra weight so the ride is often that little bit firmer than the rest of the ICE cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 04:07 AM   #10
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I’m very happy to read positive reviews since I have a 30e on order. In fact, my first order was for the 25e, but I have changed it, so my first question is for pieboy1101 if he feels that the 25e is underpowered when the battery is “empty”.
My second question is for both gqbriel and pieboy1101, who actually own PHEVs. I am not sure that I understood exactly the operation of the battery system. When the display shows 0% battery, is it really 0%, or some energy is always reserved and it is not displayed to the driver?
Moreover, related to the above, we all know that going below 20% kills car batteries, so if the charging percentage displayed is accurate, then the driver should always check the battery status and if it goes below 20%, then the battery conservation mode (I don’t remember the actual term) should be selected. Is this the case? The other option is that when the display shows 0%, the actual battery state is 20%, and, in this case, there is no chance to drain the battery below the 20% threshold. It is really confusing.
And finally, what is the recommended daily full charging state? In BEVs, is 80%. Is this the same in 20e and 30e or can you charge the battery every day to 100%?
Sorry for asking too many details.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 05:55 AM   #11
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnone View Post
I’m very happy to read positive reviews since I have a 30e on order. In fact, my first order was for the 25e, but I have changed it, so my first question is for pieboy1101 if he feels that the 25e is underpowered when the battery is “empty”.
My second question is for both gqbriel and pieboy1101, who actually own PHEVs. I am not sure that I understood exactly the operation of the battery system. When the display shows 0% battery, is it really 0%, or some energy is always reserved and it is not displayed to the driver?
Moreover, related to the above, we all know that going below 20% kills car batteries, so if the charging percentage displayed is accurate, then the driver should always check the battery status and if it goes below 20%, then the battery conservation mode (I don’t remember the actual term) should be selected. Is this the case? The other option is that when the display shows 0%, the actual battery state is 20%, and, in this case, there is no chance to drain the battery below the 20% threshold. It is really confusing.
And finally, what is the recommended daily full charging state? In BEVs, is 80%. Is this the same in 20e and 30e or can you charge the battery every day to 100%?
Sorry for asking too many details.
No its ok ,i got what you mean - but i dont know.BMW dealer when taking delivery told me - city driving - never charge more than 85% and i set the limit in the car.Also - out of city driving 100% to have enough power.
Now with regards to the battery discahrge - i think that is not correct,there is no such setting and from experience it can go to 0 - but i also believe there is still some charge inside it for some amount of power..how much - i cant tell.

The "maintain battery charge" works great - i will post a video probably later when i upload on you tube to show how it is acting at a 100mph constant speed.

Also i did a test run 100-200kph - less than 17sec which is really good and i think it matches expected results...

Last edited by gqbriel; 03-08-2023 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 3
      03-08-2023, 06:16 AM   #12
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No its ok ,i got what you mean - but i dont know.BMW dealer when taking delivery told me - city driving - never charge more than 85% and i set the limit in the car.Also - out of city driving 100% to have enough power.
Now with regards to the battery discahrge - i think that is not correct,there is no such setting and from experience it can go to 0 - but i also believe there is still some charge inside it for some amount of power..how much - i cant tell.

The "maintain battery charge" works great - i will post a video probably later when i upload on you tube to show how it is acting at a 100mph constant speed.

Also i did a test run 100-200kph - less than 17sec which is really good and i think it matches expected results...

Thanks for the response!
So, when the percentage drops below 20% you change the mode to "maintain battery charge"?
I am looking forward to your videos!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:02 AM   #13
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the response!
So, when the percentage drops below 20% you change the mode to "maintain battery charge"?
I am looking forward to your videos!
No - when i am outside the city i just select it ,the thing is my foot is heavy and when not in that mode i kinda push too much and the battery ends quickly but kicks in amazing...

Also the traffic here is full of stupid drivers and u cant really keep a constant speed as there is always a moron who will cut you off

The actual petrol engine i think is really good in terms of consumption,but to be honest i didnt get the car for consumption but overall i thought its a good idea to see how it is and so far i am really happy with my choice.

Just tested city driving - 22kw/h - bare in mind city to city is not the same i am living in the capital city and here there is quite some traffic.

100-200kph

Last edited by gqbriel; 03-08-2023 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 4
      03-08-2023, 09:54 AM   #14
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No - when i am outside the city i just select it ,the thing is my foot is heavy and when not in that mode i kinda push too much and the battery ends quickly but kicks in amazing...

Also the traffic here is full of stupid drivers and u cant really keep a constant speed as there is always a moron who will cut you off

The actual petrol engine i think is really good in terms of consumption,but to be honest i didnt get the car for consumption but overall i thought its a good idea to see how it is and so far i am really happy with my choice.

Just tested city driving - 22kw/h - bare in mind city to city is not the same i am living in the capital city and here there is quite some traffic.
Amazing acceleration! I really looking forward to getting mine!

I see that in the bottom right the remaining “electric” km are displayed.
Is there any option to display the remaining battery percentage?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 10:48 AM   #15
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Amazing acceleration! I really looking forward to getting mine!

I see that in the bottom right the remaining “electric” km are displayed.
Is there any option to display the remaining battery percentage?
Only in the app shows percentage at least i havent seen other option,it might change if i change the display content...but have to check as i like this one.
Appreciate 1
gnone3.00
      03-08-2023, 12:30 PM   #16
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Only in the app shows percentage at least i havent seen other option,it might change if i change the display content...but have to check as i like this one.
It would be interesting to check the percentage shown in the app, when the car display indicates a 0 km electric range.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 02:29 PM   #17
OMandias_
Rep

Thanks for all the info gqbriel

Like others on here I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 30e but there's just so little information available on them yet so it's great to see the early thoughts from a first hand owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #18
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I believe that the car never gets to 0 battery as it's sold as an X-drive and as such they have built it to ensure that it's able to provide that when required. So if you need traction from front and rear wheels it's able to offer that. It's not bottomless but when it gets low it ensures that there is enough to do what's required, just not mile after mile.

That's the way it's been explained a few times, presume it must be right. We have a 25e on the way, not quite the performance of the 30e but it's the wife's car and she drives around like miss daisy so its a darn amount quicker than her current 20d. We forget at even the 25e gets similar performance to a Golf GTI from only a few years ago, mad but true.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 02:58 PM   #19
OMandias_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
I believe that the car never gets to 0 battery as it's sold as an X-drive and as such they have built it to ensure that it's able to provide that when required. So if you need traction from front and rear wheels it's able to offer that. It's not bottomless but when it gets low it ensures that there is enough to do what's required, just not mile after mile.

That's the way it's been explained a few times, presume it must be right. We have a 25e on the way, not quite the performance of the 30e but it's the wife's car and she drives around like miss daisy so its a darn amount quicker than her current 20d. We forget at even the 25e gets similar performance to a Golf GTI from only a few years ago, mad but true.
I thought, front wheels = engine and rear wheels = electric motor?

So if you're in EV only mode you're still getting AWD? and the same goes for using only the engine once the battery is depleted?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 03:26 PM   #20
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I thought, front wheels = engine and rear wheels = electric motor?

So if you're in EV only mode you're still getting AWD? and the same goes for using only the engine once the battery is depleted?
The presumption was explained that if you are in an auto mode not EV that the car was always able to offer X-drive yes. It kept a reserve that was there for an 'I've got stuck moment' or two.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 02:59 AM   #21
pieboy1101
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive25e

Yesterday we had some snow for the first time. I was on dealer's summer tires before switching to snow tires later that day. ABS was good. Also the engine (front wheels) was quickly turned on when I started slipping from the electric drive. Then no issue driving afterwards.

@Gnome I'll run the battery down and see if it feels fast enough when just on the engine. Even when the battery shows zero km left, there's still reserve juice it uses for starting from a standstill.
Appreciate 1
gnone3.00
      03-09-2023, 03:13 AM   #22
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieboy1101 View Post
Yesterday we had some snow for the first time. I was on dealer's summer tires before switching to snow tires later that day. ABS was good. Also the engine (front wheels) was quickly turned on when I started slipping from the electric drive. Then no issue driving afterwards.

@Gnome I'll run the battery down and see if it feels fast enough when just on the engine. Even when the battery shows zero km left, there's still reserve juice it uses for starting from a standstill.
That will be very interesting!
Can you also check the battery percentage number shown in the app, when the car display indicates a 0 km electric range?
Appreciate 0