BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Missing Key card during delivery - USA X1 2023

05-15-2023, 02:09 PM   #23
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicX123 View Post
Update: My dealer is saying no key card and apparently I have to order the spare since I have run flats (my purchase order says non run flats). At this point, I don't know if I have the energy to argue but was wondering if I should talk to BMW North America directly? Any suggestions or would you just leave it be if you were in my position.
Does your car definitely have "Runflats"?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 09:31 AM   #24
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that US buyers do have the key card, this is so strange and now I am even more confused as my car doesn't come with the spare tire either.
did the dealer every find the digital key card? or at least order one for you?

by the way, BMW X1 in Canada does not come with spare tires, just like in most parts of the world. The US X1 is one of the few that come with spare tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #25
sonicX123
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

Thank you all. Turns out each and every one of you were right and my dealer was wrong. I took your advice and decided to head straight to the dealership and surprise surprise they admitted they were wrong. For whatever reason they took my spare out, its now in there. Everyone here is also right, my car did not have run flats. Don't know why the dealer insisted there were. I was offered a road side hazard insurance which I declined and that's when I was told I had run flats and I should consider insurance, all said now I have my spare. The tool kit was always there for those wondering.

However, the dealer is still insisting that there is no digital key card. I showed the picture shared on this post (thank you!). He said that they will search in case it fell down in dealership.

Up until now, everything has been great and I don't want to get upset at the dealer as it is a negative impression on just one person who has handled this case.

If they can't find the key card, I suppose I can always just buy another one?

Again, big thanks to everyone. Don't think I would have made the argument if it wasn't for everyone insisting I do.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:18 AM   #26
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

If they can't find your Key card then insist they source one at their expense.
Appreciate 2
tex26702424.50
      05-16-2023, 11:26 AM   #27
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Thank you all. Turns out each and every one of you were right and my dealer was wrong. I took your advice and decided to head straight to the dealership and surprise surprise they admitted they were wrong. For whatever reason they took my spare out, its now in there. Everyone here is also right, my car did not have run flats. Don't know why the dealer insisted there were. I was offered a road side hazard insurance which I declined and that's when I was told I had run flats and I should consider insurance, all said now I have my spare. The tool kit was always there for those wondering.

However, the dealer is still insisting that there is no digital key card. I showed the picture shared on this post (thank you!). He said that they will search in case it fell down in dealership.

Up until now, everything has been great and I don't want to get upset at the dealer as it is a negative impression on just one person who has handled this case.

Again, big thanks to everyone. Don't think I would have made the argument if it wasn't for everyone insisting I do.
Well done you for going back and pushing the dealer for what you should have gone, not an easy thing to do for some but you have done the right thing. Keep on it and I'm sure the car will just add to the enjoyment.

We are here to help if you need any.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 11:43 AM   #28
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:

If they can't find the key card, I suppose I can always just buy another one? .

the dealership is absolutely responsible for ordering and paying for the replacement car... not you.

if they keep fighting you on this one tiny issue, can you imagine what will happen if you ever need to have your X1 repaired at this dealership? they will probably try to make you pay for a warranty repair by claiming that it's not covered. (had this happen to me at two other luxury German car dealerships and I stayed away from them forever)
Appreciate 2
tex26702424.50
      05-16-2023, 11:48 AM   #29
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

I'm sorry - they "took" the spare tire out of your car, and coincidentally, the dealer "incorrectly" told you the car had RFTs, and then "admitted they were wrong" when you actually showed up at the dealer with receipts???? Nah - they tried to sell you something that you already paid for by lying to you. And now they are pulling the same crap with the Digital Key.

If this were me, I'd tell them to get me the Digital Key in 48 hours, or you are filing a report with the state attorney general.

DO NOT bring your car back to this dealer for service.
Appreciate 3
      05-16-2023, 11:55 AM   #30
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I'm sorry - they "took" the spare tire out of your car, and coincidentally, the dealer "incorrectly" told you the car had RFTs, and then "admitted they were wrong" when you actually showed up at the dealer with receipts???? Nah - they tried to sell you something that you already paid for by lying to you. And now they are pulling the same crap with the Digital Key.

If this were me, I'd tell them to get me the Digital Key in 48 hours, or you are filing a report with the state attorney general.

that's what I thought as well.. the OP should avoid this BMW dealer. they are either dishonest... or worse, incompetent. I have more "respect" for dishonest dealers, at least they know what they are doing... incompetent dealers are scary, because they can cause other damages when servicing your car. I learned the hard way after an encounter with a Mercedes dealership.

If the OP's BMW dealer refuses to come up with a replacement key card, the OP needs to contact BMW USA and file a report first. That should be more effective.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 11:58 AM   #31
plehrman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i 2023

Quote:

100%!!!
Appreciate 2
tex26702424.50
      05-16-2023, 12:29 PM   #32
jejupods
Private
Rep
Drives: MY23 X3 M40i

Quote:

Absolutely this. Additionally, I would now send an email to BMW USA if you haven't already done so, cc'ing the dealer GM (as an extra fuck you, if you like) outlining your experience so far, and ask for someone at BMW USA to reach out and address your concerns. The fact that they took the spare tire out of your car (when it's on the spec sheet is especially egregious) and lied to you about the RFT's -which IMO is a safety issue- may indicate they are doing it to others... are they getting insurance kick backs for their "recommendations"

I'm sure BMW corporate would like to know, so it doesn't happen to someone else unsuspecting.

At this point it doesn't matter if it was malice or incompetence that caused this, it's totally not ok.
Appreciate 2
tex26702424.50
      05-16-2023, 12:39 PM   #33
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Name and shame. Who was this dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 12:43 PM   #34
lotus1818
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 Cape Green/Red Black X1

In a rare situation, BMW might have sent an Europe spec to the dealer for you.

You can confirm if there's a cover at the front lower left corner where there should be a filter inside.

According to the Europe owners in this forum, the Euro spec does have covers on both front ends, and the US spec does not have cover at the driver's side corner.

https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2017556
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 12:54 PM   #35
lotus1818
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

BTW, as far as I know the use of key card is only free for one year, and every time when you use it to open the door, you have to put it into the wireless phone charger in order to start the vehicle. I do not know if you have to leave the card there after the vehicle is started, if so, you can't use the charger to charge the phone then.

Like some other owners in here, I tried it once and never use it again.

Think twice if you want to pay for the card.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 01:01 PM   #36
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1818 View Post
you can't use the charger to charge the phone then.
Well the wireless charger is horrible, so nothing lost there.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 01:08 PM   #37
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BTW, as far as I know the use of key card is only free for one year
I don't think this is correct....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 01:22 PM   #38
Tunners
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) 30e M Sport

Quote:
I do not know if you have to leave the card there after the vehicle is started, if so, you can't use the charger to charge the phone
Once you have put the car into drive ready state you can remove it and use the charger as normal.
Appreciate 1
tex26702424.50
      05-16-2023, 01:34 PM   #39
lotus1818
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for clarifying...I do not use the key card and I seldom use it's wireless charger too. The charger location is not the best during driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 03:57 PM   #40
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
In a rare situation, BMW might have sent an Europe spec to the dealer for you.

You can confirm if there's a cover at the front lower left corner where there should be a filter inside.

According to the Europe owners in this forum, the Euro spec does have covers on both front ends, and the US spec does not have cover at the driver's side corner.

https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2017556
I highly doubt it’s a Euro Spec car, or it would have amber rear blinkers and a completely different motor. That would have to be a colossal blunder on the part of the factory, the port, the VPC, and the dealer.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
tex26702424.50
      05-16-2023, 03:59 PM   #41
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
BTW, as far as I know the use of key card is only free for one year, and every time when you use it to open the door, you have to put it into the wireless phone charger in order to start the vehicle. I do not know if you have to leave the card there after the vehicle is started, if so, you can't use the charger to charge the phone then.

Like some other owners in here, I tried it once and never use it again.

Think twice if you want to pay for the card.
The key card is free to use as long as you have the car. If it were a subscription it would show it in the connected drive store with an expiration date and subscription options.
Appreciate 2
tex26702424.50
      05-16-2023, 04:26 PM   #42
lotus1818
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
The key card is free to use as long as you have the car. If it were a subscription it would show it in the connected drive store with an expiration date and subscription options.
I must have confused with the other option that only offer one free year of use, which service or option is only good for one year and needed to pay as subscription afterwards? I am not able to check which one is that at this moment..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 04:28 PM   #43
lotus1818
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

or something only for three month of free use.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 04:30 PM   #44
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
I must have confused with the other option that only offer one free year of use, which service or option is only good for one year and needed to pay as subscription afterwards? I am not able to check which one is that at this moment..
No, I distinctly remember someone speculating the key card was only good for a year on this forum before anyone actually took delivery of the car. For my car (early production model) the only options I can purchase is the red light/speed camera warning and remote start.
Appreciate 0