BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) BMW engineer fine tune m adaptive suspension

05-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #45
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

Definitely deliberate deception. Lawful, but underhand.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 02:40 PM   #46
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I agree it's a bit misleading, but I'm not really bothered by it much. I pretty much just got the M Sport package for all the cosmetic bits. But I guess future buyers beware!
technically, those of us with the M Sport package in the US voluntarily chose to pay $500 for the "sport" suspension by not opting out of it. (which would have taken $500 off the price of the M Sport package)

I did think long and hard about opting for the standard suspension and save $500, but I decided that I wanted to take a chance on the "sportier" suspension, even if it wasn't a real adaptive suspension setup.

I drove both versions quite a few times and the standard suspension definitely did not corner at above 40mph or 50mph compared to the M Sport "adaptive" suspension. So I definitely do not regret it. I'm okay with the "harsh" ride. It's fun and more confidence-inspiring. If I wanted a plush ride, I would have ordered small SUVs from Audi, Cadillac, Lexus or even VW.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 08:35 PM   #47
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
technically, those of us with the M Sport package in the US voluntarily chose to pay $500 for the "sport" suspension by not opting out of it. (which would have taken $500 off the price of the M Sport package)

I did think long and hard about opting for the standard suspension and save $500, but I decided that I wanted to take a chance on the "sportier" suspension, even if it wasn't a real adaptive suspension setup.

I drove both versions quite a few times and the standard suspension definitely did not corner at above 40mph or 50mph compared to the M Sport "adaptive" suspension. So I definitely do not regret it. I'm okay with the "harsh" ride. It's fun and more confidence-inspiring. If I wanted a plush ride, I would have ordered small SUVs from Audi, Cadillac, Lexus or even VW.
I never said we didn't pay for it, it just wasn't much of a factor in my decision to get M Sport. The suspension definitely handles well in my opinion, and I don't regret having it at all even though it may sacrifice a bit of comfort. I'd rather be able to corner better, and coming from a long history of lowered cars this is actually the most comfortable thing I've owned lol.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 06:09 AM   #48
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlepuzzling View Post
Yeah it’s purely mechanics. I asked at the dealership.
How is changing the characterisics then when you select sport vs comfort - because there is a noticavle difference if its pure mechanics - thats interesting
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 06:14 AM   #49
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep

I'd guess that when steering, brakes, acceleration are sharpened up the Shocks respond differently under the different driving conditions
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 11:27 AM   #50
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I think Sport is just changing the steering and throttle and adding some engine noise in it appears and not the suspension. Which is why I suspect you can’t firm the suspension up in and specific mode, or soften it either mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 01:13 PM   #51
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023 M package

I don't mind spending $500 for a sportier suspension, but I would have preferred to also get the 20-inch wheels with the 245/40/20 tires. If the suspension is not adjustable for comfort, why would you suggest the 18-inch wheels to your client? It would be better to recommend the 20-inch wheels since they make for a sportier ride, take corners better and also ultimately in this case the car goes over bumps better with the 20-inch wheels. It's like they don't even know what they are selling.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 05:11 PM   #52
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

I don’t believe 20” wheels are more compliant over potholes or uneven surfaces than 18”
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 05:13 PM   #53
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023 M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
I don’t believe 20” wheels are more compliant over potholes than 18”
Potholes no but bumps yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 04:49 AM   #54
Bodgeit1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25E MSport on Order

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/VDC_Offer_gb
this link shows that you should be able to alter the suspension if you have Adaptive M Suspension? so not sure if it can be altered or not
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 05:00 AM   #55
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodgeit1 View Post
https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/VDC_Offer_gb
this link shows that you should be able to alter the suspension if you have Adaptive M Suspension? so not sure if it can be altered or not
X1 has "M Adaptive Suspension" - mechanical not electronic like the "Adaptive M Suspension"
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 05:04 AM   #56
Bodgeit1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25E MSport on Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFDIT View Post
X1 has "M Adaptive Suspension" - mechanical not electronic like the "Adaptive M Suspension"
ah thats a bit confusing so it isnt really adaptive in the way the words suggest other than loading the suspension when driving in different ways?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:03 AM   #57
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep

That's it. Selective advertising on behalf of BMW. But good more sophisticated Shocks though and not the expensive replacement of the electronic variety. But not impressed with the shady advertising.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:23 AM   #58
ramen.slayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX1

The iX1 is advertised as “Adaptive M Suspension” with “M” in the middle

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/09/25/2...-review-drive/

“All BMW iX1 xDrive30 models come standard with the Adaptive M Suspension so the ride comfort can be altered, thanks to the adjustable frequency selective dampers.”

I have a PDF brochure from BMW (which also covers X1 ICE cars) and that also states “Adaptive M Suspension”. I just can’t upload it from my phone for some reason.
Attached Images

Last edited by ramen.slayer; 05-30-2023 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:33 AM   #59
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is what it says in the manual for the 'Adaptive (ahem don't make me laugh) M suspension. As for setting it or changing modes, erm NOPE. How adaptive it is compared to the other models well its not really is it. Quite happy they call it M Suspension like they used to but adding adaptive is to be frank a fairly fraudulent use of the word in this context, certainly compared to the precedent and capabilities of all other 'Adaptive' BMW suspension that has come before it.

Adaptive M suspension Principle
The adaptive M suspension is a variable, mechanically controlled sport suspension.
Setting
The suspension reduces body movements with a sporty driving style or on an uneven road.
Driving dynamics and driving comfort are in- creased by the control of the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:40 AM   #60
ramen.slayer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
This is what it says in the manual for the 'Adaptive (ahem don't make me laugh) M suspension. As for setting it or changing modes, erm NOPE. How adaptive it is compared to the other models well its not really is it. Quite happy they call it M Suspension like they used to but adding adaptive is to be frank a fairly fraudulent use of the word in this context, certainly compared to the precedent and capabilities of all other 'Adaptive' BMW suspension that has come before it.

Adaptive M suspension Principle
The adaptive M suspension is a variable, mechanically controlled sport suspension.
Setting
The suspension reduces body movements with a sporty driving style or on an uneven road.
Driving dynamics and driving comfort are in- creased by the control of the suspension.
M or not. Doesn’t matter. It’s never an M car

However, curious, why do you think this isn’t adaptive? PASM and EDC from the old days are also mechanically controlled (the valves are), unlike other magnetically controlled ones. Adaptive suspensions don’t require user settings. Even if they have only one mode, they can still be adaptive no?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 07:19 AM   #61
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramen.slayer View Post
M or not. Doesn’t matter. It’s never an M car

However, curious, why do you think this isn’t adaptive? PASM and EDC from the old days are also mechanically controlled (the valves are), unlike other magnetically controlled ones. Adaptive suspensions don’t require user settings. Even if they have only one mode, they can still be adaptive no?
We all know they aren't M cars, but they are M-Sport cars fitted with firmer M-Sport suspension. The PASM / EDC 'Actively' change the mechanical performance of the suspension, the A isn't adaptive its Active in PASM.

All other times BMW has listed Adaptive suspension it has been an electrical system that can firm or soften the damping either dynamically or by the customer changing them. None of these things are available in the X1 'Adaptive Suspension', it's really just firmer suspension with good damping.

Happy with that no issues at all that they have firmer suspension, it's the usage of the word Adaptive is pushing the description of the word beyond where it would normally be used, it seems from what everyone has found to date. To put the contrast into focus I've got adaptive suspension in the X3, I can change the firmness and it has a specific button that takes a series of inputs that may mean it firms the suspension for me without me needing to do anything. It's believe in the LCI X3 this has been taken away and you can only change the firmness making it less 'Adaptive' leading to many complaints. This takes things way further in the usage of the term Adaptive it seems on the X1.

They should call it what it is Firmer M Suspension.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 08:30 AM   #62
LindrelT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 '02, 1988 325is, 2020 X3

My local dealers couldn’t bother to hold back even one U11 as a demo unit. Having to “guess” the difference the M Sport makes in ride is an expensive experiment…
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:47 AM   #63
ramen.slayer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
We all know they aren't M cars, but they are M-Sport cars fitted with firmer M-Sport suspension. The PASM / EDC 'Actively' change the mechanical performance of the suspension, the A isn't adaptive its Active in PASM.

All other times BMW has listed Adaptive suspension it has been an electrical system that can firm or soften the damping either dynamically or by the customer changing them. None of these things are available in the X1 'Adaptive Suspension', it's really just firmer suspension with good damping.

Happy with that no issues at all that they have firmer suspension, it's the usage of the word Adaptive is pushing the description of the word beyond where it would normally be used, it seems from what everyone has found to date. To put the contrast into focus I've got adaptive suspension in the X3, I can change the firmness and it has a specific button that takes a series of inputs that may mean it firms the suspension for me without me needing to do anything. It's believe in the LCI X3 this has been taken away and you can only change the firmness making it less 'Adaptive' leading to many complaints. This takes things way further in the usage of the term Adaptive it seems on the X1.

They should call it what it is Firmer M Suspension.
What I meant was, the paragraph said “ The adaptive M suspension is a variable, mechanically controlled sport suspension.” As the description mentioned that the suspension is variable, doesn’t that mean the suspension does in fact vary (presumably the damping rate) then?

I am merely raising this as a question from the information above, as I have absolutely zero access to the iX1 I ordered, nor have I really spent time to look into this myself to be frank.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 11:44 AM   #64
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah we don't really know, there are variable dampers in many cars these days that are more sophisticated but most certainly passive in the way they work and don't take any input from the car itself.

So if they get a hard bump they resist that hard, but have been designed not to feel super hash on a less sharp bump. Do they adapt, you could say they do but I think many here expected that from previous experience the suspension when described as adaptive has sensors such as steering, yaw rate, vertical velocity and more that the computers take input from and can make the suspension firmer if its being thrown around vs just been driven at 10mph for example.

It seems that BMW have and I stress 'seems' to be that BMW hasn't actually fitted what most would consider adaptive suspension under the old definition and have actually put passive dampers in. No really confirmation but that is also why there is no ability for the driver to firm the suspension as you can is every other implementation of 'Adaptive Dampers' that BMW have offered before.

Thus why some feel that as mention above they are being a little / lot deceptive in the use of the word.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 07:06 PM   #65
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramen.slayer View Post
What I meant was, the paragraph said “ The adaptive M suspension is a variable, mechanically controlled sport suspension.” As the description mentioned that the suspension is variable, doesn’t that mean the suspension does in fact vary (presumably the damping rate) then?

I am merely raising this as a question from the information above, as I have absolutely zero access to the iX1 I ordered, nor have I really spent time to look into this myself to be frank.
I don’t think they “adapt” at all because it is not reacting to each individual bump and calculating adjustments on the fly. Rather, it has more of a progressive valving that reacts to specific impacts in specific ways, the same way, every time. If you apply X amount of force over X amount of duration, the struts will always provide X amount of resistance. These are more akin to what used to be called progressive dampers.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 11:05 PM   #66
ramen.slayer
Private First Class
Rep

I see. I guess I'm just hung up on the word "variable" that they use in the description and assumed variable means it's varying based on something.

In any case, I guess the final truth will be out when someone is able to get under the car and see whether there is any form of electrical cable/wire that comes out from the top of the dampers ... or maybe they have something similar to Ohlin's Road & Track ...
Appreciate 0