BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) BMW engineer fine tune m adaptive suspension

06-10-2023, 02:11 PM   #89
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post

a) The suspension does not feel any different in Sport Mode vs Personal. Only thing I can immediately feel is throttle response, steering effort, and holding gears longer.

Oh it does the rebound is different for sure,i have been testing it on tje same road - personal/sport and car does changes in the way it interacts on bumps.

But again - subjective feeling - for me it changes but can not say they are electronically adjusted or not.

Thats a personal opinion
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 03:35 PM   #90
Tsapetro
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 23i

Hello guys! I have in possession an U11 X1 23i european model with m pack and m suspension. I’m pretty sure i can feel the difference how the car interacts with bumps on personal and sport mode!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 03:39 PM   #91
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

As BMW states, they are adaptive. They respond to your driving style but are not electronic.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 07:23 AM   #92
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqbriel View Post
Oh it does the rebound is different for sure,i have been testing it on tje same road - personal/sport and car does changes in the way it interacts on bumps.

But again - subjective feeling - for me it changes but can not say they are electronically adjusted or not.

Thats a personal opinion
I can't say for sure if yours are electronic with 100% certainty because there is a lot of variation on spec between markets, however I am 99.9% positive that the US does not get electronically adjustable dampers in the X1. With the M Sport package being a little over $2,000 and including upgraded seats, bumpers, trim, etc., it doesn't make sense that they would include electronic dampers at that price point. With my previous 4 series, the difference in suspension tuning between comfort and sport was night and day. With the X1, I originally thought there was a difference, but as time went on I realized there was no difference in dampening between any of the modes.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 11:15 AM   #93
ramen.slayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX1

I would highly doubt BMW has different definitions/parts of adaptive across markets. I mean, they are so lazy/budget that they couldn't even be bothered to give right hand drive cars a different center console lid that opens properly on the "correct" side. They just recycled the LHD version ones. (clearly just venting here). So I expect these cars to just share the same parts across US and RoW. At the same time I am not keeping my hopes up that these dampers are truly adaptive with all the sensors to do fancy stuff.

In any case, I suppose the only way to really put this to rest is if someone has photos of the actual dampers, parts diagram, and/or service manual for these cars ... time will tell ...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 11:52 AM   #94
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

Taken from the UK Online Configurator. It explains Exactly what the suspension is.

"M Adaptive Suspension
£0
M Adaptive Suspension has a stiffer spring/damper set-up with the vehicle lowered by 15mm. It features frequency-selective damping elements: mechanical, self-regulating system with regulation depending on road condition and driving style. The M Sport steering gives a more direct steering feedback with lower steering effort.

Available as standard on X1 M Sport models plus the iX1 xDrive30 xLine model."

And here's an article explaining How Frequency Selective Dampers work.
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Car-SUV/FSD/

Last edited by JFDIT; 06-11-2023 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 07:42 PM   #95
ramen.slayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFDIT View Post
Taken from the UK Online Configurator. It explains Exactly what the suspension is.

"M Adaptive Suspension
£0
M Adaptive Suspension has a stiffer spring/damper set-up with the vehicle lowered by 15mm. It features frequency-selective damping elements: mechanical, self-regulating system with regulation depending on road condition and driving style. The M Sport steering gives a more direct steering feedback with lower steering effort.

Available as standard on X1 M Sport models plus the iX1 xDrive30 xLine model."

And here's an article explaining How Frequency Selective Dampers work.
https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Car-SUV/FSD/
Ya. This should be it — some kinda mechanical ones like Koni’s FSD or Ohlins’ DFV. Wonder who makes the dampers for these BMWs
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 08:11 AM   #96
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

while it's probably silly for me to compare apples to oranges.... a family member still has a 20-year-old 325i in mint condition.(i.e. spent way more money than the car is worse to maintain it )

That old 325i handles way better than my new X1 in the numerous curves and hills in my part of the town.

For example, there's a sharp curve 1/4 miles from my home. In my X1, it can only take the curve at around 35mph. Any faster than that, I can hear the tires screeching and starting to lose contact. If I drive through the same curve in the 20-year-old 325i, even 50mph is very doable without losing any grip, not to mention fun.

(yes, I do realize that one is a proper BMW sedan and one is a small SUV)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 08:29 AM   #97
sclord
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 U11

..so I have read a million articles about this and still haven't received a definitive answer. Does the M suspension provide a smoother experience in downtown drives with a lot of potholes or is it stiffer than the normal suspension?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 08:35 AM   #98
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclord View Post
..so I have read a million articles about this and still haven't received a definitive answer. Does the M suspension provide a smoother experience in downtown drives with a lot of potholes or is it stiffer than the normal suspension?
I recently drove my X1 to NYC/Newark area...which probably has the highest concentration of potholes on the East Coast. My X1's M suspension handled those potholes just fine.... meaning not too harsh. Although I do have the 18" M wheels with 225/55/18 tires, so they probably absorb more of the shock?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-12-2023, 08:52 AM   #99
tareknet89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Phev

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclord View Post
From reading many posts in the forum, it seems like the standard suspension is smoother over bumps and potholes, though the M Sport with smaller wheels is also good or at least better than the 20". This is my own conclusion, it may not be 100% accurate so please conduct your own research before taking the final decision.
Appreciate 1
sclord3.00
      06-12-2023, 09:37 AM   #100
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

M-Sport is fine for us but it's definitely stiffer than the standard suspension was in the X-line spec we get int he UK. If you want a smoother and less sporty ride then going for the standard not M-sport is the way to go.
Appreciate 1
sclord3.00