BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) DCT Update

08-13-2023, 02:57 PM   #23
ifletch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i xLine

I am not holding my breath that BMW will ever improve this behaviour or that they even think there is an issue. I have had my X1 for two weeks and learning to adapt to it. If you don’t like the behaviour be sure to email BMW with your concern. Or if you complained to your dealer/service be sure they pass the complaint up. Don’t count on BWM listening to auto reviews or monitoring forums.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 05:00 PM   #24
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifletch View Post
I am not holding my breath that BMW will ever improve this behaviour or that they even think there is an issue. I have had my X1 for two weeks and learning to adapt to it. If you don’t like the behaviour be sure to email BMW with your concern. Or if you complained to your dealer/service be sure they pass the complaint up. Don’t count on BWM listening to auto reviews or monitoring forums.
I’ve already raised the issue with my local dealer and it’s been documented in my service reports, as well as having sent an email to BMW directly and received no response.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 05:06 PM   #25
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
If enough owners get together and pursue with BMW NA- would there be a chance a recall or service appointment could reprogram the throttle mapping computer?

I’m curious if it’s just planned for the next model
Year.

Would you buy the x1 now knowing it’s doing this?

In other words to the group; knowing what you know now- would you skip x1 and go to x3? I love driving and my test drives all have been with lag.

X3 zf seems so much better- but then the x3 is an old design. I like the x1 layout and size . And value prop. So much for 40,000 really. A 30i x3 is around 54,000. Maybe if it bothers me this much- I should go old school x3
Would I still buy one? Absolutely. Even with the lag and having to compensate for it, it’s fun to drive, offers a better value than its competitors for me, and I love the styling over anything else available here in its segment. But I will say mine has been relatively problem free other than the airbag recall. Most of the other random glitches I’ve had have resolved themselves on their own, and I’ve found workarounds for some of the things I don’t like. Others in this forum seem to be having way more issues than I am though so it feels like I may be a more isolated case.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 11:30 PM   #26
08-335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08-335xi sedan

Lag and the lack of ventilated seats are my biggest gripes with today’s BMWs. We currently have three and measurable lag is present in two of the three. This is my wife’s main worry about buying a X1, which we are on the fence with ordering. She also wants vented seats btw.

Our 2019 X3 30i has lag to the point where it is borderline unsafe. It can take 2-3 seconds to get going from a stop. The lag is present even when the start-stop is turned off. Sport mode helps a little, but it is still present. Our 2022 X3 M40 does notably better. I attribute this to the mild hybrid system that helps with instantaneous torque. What is surprising is that our 2023 M4 has substantial lag when in the default mode. This is easily fixed with the flick of fhe M1 or M2 button (which happens pretty much every time) and then it becomes and absolute weapon with nearly zero lag. Lag is usually all about tuning. Having tuned forced induction cars with a wideband O2 meter I can say that rapid acceleration from a start takes a rich mixture and some spark retard to prevent detonation. I’m sure the DCT doesn’t help and auto start-stop delays it some, but tuning should be able to make a big improvement. I will say that the M4’s fuel economy outside of the default setting is notably worse than in default mode, but in that car I could care less. I am guessing BMWs has tuned their vehicles this way for smoothness (luxury) and fuel economy/emissions. Hopefully BMW improves the lag in the the X1 M35i so my wife will choose the X1 over another manufacturer that I would prefer her not to buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 02:41 AM   #27
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 3.0e u11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-335xi View Post
Lag and the lack of ventilated seats are my biggest gripes with today’s BMWs. We currently have three and measurable lag is present in two of the three. This is my wife’s main worry about buying a X1, which we are on the fence with ordering. She also wants vented seats btw.
Hopefully BMW improves the lag in the the X1 M35i so my wife will choose the X1 over another manufacturer that I would prefer her not to buy.
If lag is your main worry, have you considered the X1 30e PHEV with its instantaneous and high electric torque?
      08-14-2023, 03:13 AM   #28
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by U11sirgawain View Post
If lag is your main worry, have you considered the X1 30e PHEV with its instantaneous and high electric torque?
BMW only offers the xDrive28i gas engine in the US.

iX1 is also not available in the US, which is very unfortunate.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 06:00 AM   #29
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by U11sirgawain View Post
Wish US had it…
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 07:33 AM   #30
08-335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=U11sirgawain;30398118]If lag is your main worry, have you considered the X1 30e PHEV with its instantaneous and high electric torque?

I wish the iX1 or the X1 PHEV were available in the US as these would have been at the top of the list. At least the M35i is on its way, but the PHEV would have been the first choice for our purposes of city and highway use.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 07:40 AM   #31
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

I was convinced that the X1 would be my next car, but now I am not so sure. The DCT issues being raised have me concerned, as my previous car had a DCT and it was a nightmare in slow speed situations. Doing the herky-jerky every time I pull into the garage was not something I want to experience ever again.

But that's not the only reason. My roommate needs an electric scooter to get around, and I'm worried about cargo capacity in the rear of the X1 as we will need to transport the scooter quite frequently. Also, as mentioned above, I have grown to appreciate the ventilated seats on my current car. I really would like to keep that option available. I am therefore waiting to see what the new X3 has to offer when it becomes available next year.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:43 AM   #32
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan_CH View Post
Haha, that's funny but people need to calm down and realize that's how DCT gearboxes work. I have another car for 4 years with double clutch and just got used to how it works. You just have to react a bit different from a stop and it's decent.
I well understand how a DCT transmission works thank you very much. My previous BMW had a DCT gearbox and it was no problem at all in any mode, so I have a benchmark to compare my present X1 against. This is not a DCT issue and as others have said; it would appear to be software problem as opposed to a mechanical problem - it's not helped by the fact that the hesitation I notice is not consistent either, so it is not even predictable.

Last edited by Duncs1961; 08-14-2023 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 08:11 AM   #33
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradocks View Post
I was convinced that the X1 would be my next car, but now I am not so sure. The DCT issues being raised have me concerned, as my previous car had a DCT and it was a nightmare in slow speed situations. Doing the herky-jerky every time I pull into the garage was not something I want to experience ever again.

But that's not the only reason. My roommate needs an electric scooter to get around, and I'm worried about cargo capacity in the rear of the X1 as we will need to transport the scooter quite frequently. Also, as mentioned above, I have grown to appreciate the ventilated seats on my current car. I really would like to keep that option available. I am therefore waiting to see what the new X3 has to offer when it becomes available next year.
The lag is there, yes, and it's annoying. But the transmission hasn't been jerky at all for me, other than the occasional lag it's actually quite smooth. As irritating as it was in the beginning, I've actually gotten used to it a lot better than before. Rolling on the throttle vs. stabbing the pedal down works better from a stop, and shifting into L/S briefly to get moving from a stop negates the lag issue. Driving into my parking garage is no issue at all.

For cargo space, exactly what kind of electric scooter are you referring to? Like a foot scooter, or more of a moped type? Taking my friend to the airport last month, we managed to fit a complete set of tires, 2 large duffel bags, and a backpack in the back with room to spare (with the seats folded down of course). My bicycle fits in the back no problem with the seats up, but I have a quick disconnect front wheel.

Honestly though, I'd go to the dealership and arrange a test drive in every driving situation you can think of. Rolling start, complete stop, freeway overtake, etc. You need more than a 10 minute drive around the block to really get a feel for this car. As much as I talk about the lag, I really do love driving this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 08:29 AM   #34
Paradocks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
For cargo space, exactly what kind of electric scooter are you referring to? Like a foot scooter, or more of a moped type? Taking my friend to the airport last month, we managed to fit a complete set of tires, 2 large duffel bags, and a backpack in the back with room to spare (with the seats folded down of course). My bicycle fits in the back no problem with the seats up, but I have a quick disconnect front wheel.

Honestly though, I'd go to the dealership and arrange a test drive in every driving situation you can think of. Rolling start, complete stop, freeway overtake, etc. You need more than a 10 minute drive around the block to really get a feel for this car. As much as I talk about the lag, I really do love driving this car.
It's a three wheel mobility scooter that disassembles into a base platform with folding handle, a chair, a battery pack, and the electric motor. We have just enough room in a Hyundai Tucson with the rear seats up, but was thinking we could fold down the rear seats in an X1 if needed.

A test drive is what I have been hoping to do, but the dealers in my area don't have an X1 demo and any X1s coming in seem to always say "arriving soon".
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 08:40 AM   #35
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Also, as mentioned above, I have grown to appreciate the ventilated seats on my current car. I really would like to keep that option available. I am therefore waiting to see what the new X3 has to offer when it becomes available next year.
If vented seats are requirement, then you should rule out every single vehicle in this class. You would need to move up to the X3 class, and then add options; or look at cars like a Mazda CX-50 or Hyundai Santa Fe.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:21 AM   #36
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
It's a three wheel mobility scooter that disassembles into a base platform with folding handle, a chair, a battery pack, and the electric motor. We have just enough room in a Hyundai Tucson with the rear seats up, but was thinking we could fold down the rear seats in an X1 if needed.

A test drive is what I have been hoping to do, but the dealers in my area don't have an X1 demo and any X1s coming in seem to always say "arriving soon".
Sadly I think demand is far outweighing production capacity at the moment, not to mention shipping delays (which I think is getting better now). My CA at the dealer actually texted me to see if I could swing by and let a potential buyer check out my X1 as they wanted something with a very similar configuration. I had some free time on Friday and was happy to let her have a look and answer some questions about the car. Though it does help that I’m only 15 minutes away from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 10:17 AM   #37
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:

Strange how Porsche can offer a PDK dual clutch with precision.

I’m not expecting a 40,000.00 car to perform like a 80,000.00

But what differences on the pdk verses this dual clutch and software could cause all the lag?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:38 PM   #38
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
If vented seats are requirement, then you should rule out every single vehicle in this class. You would need to move up to the X3 class, and then add options; or look at cars like a Mazda CX-50 or Hyundai Santa Fe.
I test drove a high-end Hyundai Tuscon (same class as an X1, at least here in the UK) and that had heated and chilled vented seats). That was my close second choice, and to be honest, after six months of owning my X1, I often think I should have gone for the Tuscon...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #39
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

Crikey I can’t imagine how much of a lemon your x1 must be and how frustrated you are with it to wish you had bought a Hyundai Tucson 🤷🏼
Appreciate 1
tex26702424.50
      08-14-2023, 03:24 PM   #40
08-335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Sadly we test drove a Kia Seltos today. It has heated ventilated seats as well as separate climate control buttons despite having a wide touchscreen. It is also $33k, which put the wifey in save money mode. It sure does not accelerate, corner or stop like a BMW. It has hard/cheap plastic in too many places. It also has some lag from a start like we are discussing here. I just wish BMW would survey the competition better and open up the options on these cars. They seem too hung up on their internal marketing strategy while other manufacturers are adding more and more features before them making us BMW faithfuls have more difficult decisions. She now has the blasted Kia as her top contender because it has most of what she wants at massively lower price.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 03:31 PM   #41
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

We looked at a KIA Sportage before deciding on the X1, it was good and except for the lack of a HUD was a strong alternative. I want the best right car for us, BMW and many other premium brands rest on their old laurels sometimes.

Inferior warranty, spec and more and the cost of living crisis I suspect for some will give BMW some much needed focus on ensuring the cars are keeping up.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 05:10 PM   #42
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
I test drove a high-end Hyundai Tuscon (same class as an X1, at least here in the UK) and that had heated and chilled vented seats). That was my close second choice, and to be honest, after six months of owning my X1, I often think I should have gone for the Tuscon...

If the Tuscon in the UK is the same as the Tuscon in the US, then it's definitely a very nice SUV. I drove one for about a week. It was a rental from Hertz.

For one thing, its lane-keep assist and adaptive cruise control is much, much better than the one on the X1.(as least on the Driving Assistant Plus version that's available via subscription after purchase)

I'm old enough to remember the very first Korean car(Hyundai) that became available in the US. I had a friend who bought one and he was the laughing stock of most people back then. The car was cheap and showed. The manual passenger seat go stuck in the most forward position and I sat in the backseat while he drove. Today's Korean cars/SUVs are just as good as German and Japanese cars and SUVs. (if not better!)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 05:30 PM   #43
Bogdan_CH
Rep
Drives: GLA 45 AMG 2018

Tested and drove the Kia Sportage / Hyundai Tucson in 1.6 Mild Hybrid and honestly they drove a class below the X1 being completely objective here. Seriously the difference is huge. Power, drive feel cabin finish they while they are in the same class it's noticeable night and day between them
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 05:51 PM   #44
Paradocks
Private
Rep

The hybrid Tucson is what I drive now. But I’m looking to trade it in because it is strictly an appliance. There is no soul, no driver engagement, no fun. I find myself trying to maximize gas mileage instead of enjoying the drive. I need some excitement, hence my interest in BMW.
Appreciate 2
tex26702424.50