BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) DCT Update

08-14-2023, 09:25 PM   #45
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradocks View Post
The hybrid Tucson is what I drive now. But I’m looking to trade it in because it is strictly an appliance. There is no soul, no driver engagement, no fun. I find myself trying to maximize gas mileage instead of enjoying the drive. I need some excitement, hence my interest in BMW.

as much as I love my current new X1.(with M Package and M suspension), when it comes to soul, driver engagement, fun, etc, I'm not sure it really feels like a true BMW.

soul? don't really feel it yet...

driver engagement? well, kind of, but nor more than any of the other German or Japanese brand small SUVs

fun? okay, yes, it is fun. however, for me, it feel like the same kind of fun as riding a horse for the very first time back when I was a 6th grader. It is sometimes unpredictable and wild... in a way, also kind of like my cat... it does what it wants... when it wants to.. but there's definitely a lot of fun, with a hint of danger(the unpredictability of it)

(disclaimer: I'm comparing my X1 to the other cars that I've owned in the past, which includes BMW 3 and 7-series sedans)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:53 PM   #46
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
If vented seats are requirement, then you should rule out every single vehicle in this class.
When I last checked, the Mercedes GLB (similar class as the X1) had ventilated seats as an option. But I digress since this thread is about DCT.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 10:06 PM   #47
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGREANY View Post
When I last checked, the Mercedes GLB (similar class as the X1) had ventilated seats as an option. But I digress since this thread is about DCT.

I almost bought the GLB instead of the X1, so I can say with confidence that the GLB does indeed have ventilated seat option. Although I can't remember if it was a standalone option or part of a package.

The reason that I didn't go with the GLB was noisy cabin. Well, a little more noisy compared directly with the U11 X1. I test drove those two very different small SUVs on the same day.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 06:28 AM   #48
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
The hybrid Tucson is what I drive now. But I’m looking to trade it in because it is strictly an appliance. There is no soul, no driver engagement, no fun. I find myself trying to maximize gas mileage instead of enjoying the drive. I need some excitement, hence my interest in BMW.
Drive the x1 and x3 back to back.

The pro in the x3 is the better transmission and the space. Next Gen Hopefully will be as nice!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 06:58 AM   #49
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-335xi View Post
Sadly we test drove a Kia Seltos today. It has heated ventilated seats as well as separate climate control buttons despite having a wide touchscreen. It is also $33k, which put the wifey in save money mode. It sure does not accelerate, corner or stop like a BMW. It has hard/cheap plastic in too many places. It also has some lag from a start like we are discussing here. I just wish BMW would survey the competition better and open up the options on these cars. They seem too hung up on their internal marketing strategy while other manufacturers are adding more and more features before them making us BMW faithfuls have more difficult decisions. She now has the blasted Kia as her top contender because it has most of what she wants at massively lower price.
BMW has surveyed the competition. Those are the GLA, Q3, XC40 and Tonale. None of those offer vented seats [well - not certain about the MB, but the others definitely don't]. Kias are not competitors to the X1.

BMW did the same thing with Xenon/LED headlights. They were an option on the prior gen X1, not standard, even though they were standard on a RAV4 or CRV. It wasn't until peer vehicles started making them standard that BMW followed suit.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 07:06 AM   #50
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

I really want to test drive an X1 with the DCT myself to get a feel for how it behaves. If it doesn't do the herky-jerky then I could live with it. I also want to see what the new X3 has to offer in terms of size and driving characteristics since it is RWD based.

Luckily I only took a 3 year loan on my Tucson which will be paid off in May next year, so that could constitute a healthy down payment on any car I end up choosing.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 07:24 AM   #51
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I really want to test drive an X1 with the DCT myself to get a feel for how it behaves. If it doesn't do the herky-jerky then I could live with it. I also want to see what the new X3 has to offer in terms of size and driving characteristics since it is RWD based.

Luckily I only took a 3 year loan on my Tucson which will be paid off in May next year, so that could constitute a healthy down payment on any car I end up choosing.
You are going to have a hard time even finding a '23 X1 demo on any lot. They are flying out the dealerships. Just look at this forum, all these folks waiting for their special order.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:09 AM   #52
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Drive the x1 and x3 back to back.

The pro in the x3 is the better transmission and the space. Next Gen Hopefully will be as nice!
I drive both almost daily - the X1 is bigger in almost every direction inside whilst being smaller. In PHEV vs M40 the PHEV is the nice car to drive around time by far it's that good, the ultimate power of the M40 is undoubted and it rides better even on 21" wheels.

Both great cars in those formats for different use cases.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 09:10 AM   #53
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

With apologies if this is covered in an earlier thread (I've only just joined the forum and am working my way through previous posts) but in respect of the throttle lag issue with DCT, but has anyone tried a pedal box?

My current car (until my new X1 is built in November) is a VW Tiguan and on the forum for that car (which suffers from the same problem), a number of members have fitted a plug/play pedal box which has greatly improved pedal response. Takes 5 mins to fit or remove (you may need to remove when car goes in for servicing and need to check with your insurance company as some see it as a modification). Maker DTUK is most mentioned on the forum (there are other suppliers) and I have checked and a DTUK pedal box for X1 (U11) 23i petrol engine is £220. Might be worth investigating if throttle lag is an issue for you?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 09:50 AM   #54
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The issue isn't really throttle related and more the gearbox / ECU deciding what to do, partly mechanical and mostly software related it seems. One on the move few if anybody has issues with the DCT then, its as good or better than other options then. It's coming to a stop or moving from a stop that are issues.
Appreciate 1
SAS X119.50
      08-15-2023, 10:08 AM   #55
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
FWIW the X2 forums (F39) has some extensive threads on pedal tuners dealing with a similar issue. I just drive in sport mode all the time and that helps (and makes me smile)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:20 AM   #56
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
FWIW the X2 forums (F39) has some extensive threads on pedal tuners dealing with a similar issue. I just drive in sport mode all the time and that helps (and makes me smile)
Doesn't the old X2 come with a steptronic / Aisin gearbox that is a torque converter? If so the issues would be very different to those people are finding in the X1 DCT, but maybe someone can buy one and have a play.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2023, 01:36 PM   #57
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I’ve now driven 3… all exhibit different lags. Even with auto off- off. It’s bad.

My initial hope was it was just new and would smooth out. But reports here are stating it doesn’t get a whole lot smoother and to learn the tricks of engagement.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:37 PM   #58
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
I drive both almost daily - the X1 is bigger in almost every direction inside whilst being smaller. In PHEV vs M40 the PHEV is the nice car to drive around time by far it's that good, the ultimate power of the M40 is undoubted and it rides better even on 21" wheels.

Both great cars in those formats for different use cases.
I’ve heard that about the space but I scratch my head about cargo room. I guess maybe?

I think x3 30i is the better value over the 40i but it flies in the 6t setup
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 01:39 PM   #59
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
Perhaps it’s because auto/stop is deactivated.

Any coders want to chime in? Can we code the x1 to shut off stop start all the time? My x5 allows
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #60
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

I have driven almost 16,000 km in my 20i. I agree that the lag is caused by the interaction of the start stop and the DCT. There are times when it is a real problem - mainly when coming to a stop but not completely and then needing to move away again swiftly. The delay in those circumstances can be dangerous.

On the X2, I used to have an F40 M135 which had that aisin gearbox. That gearbox was not ideal with its own set of issues but they are very different to those of the U11 X1.

I have been speaking to Bimmercode and there is no available coding for the U11. Apparently BWM has it locked down very hard. They do not see any coding being available in the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #61
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04S View Post
I have driven almost 16,000 km in my 20i. I agree that the lag is caused by the interaction of the start stop and the DCT. There are times when it is a real problem - mainly when coming to a stop but not completely and then needing to move away again swiftly. The delay in those circumstances can be dangerous.

On the X2, I used to have an F40 M135 which had that aisin gearbox. That gearbox was not ideal with its own set of issues but they are very different to those of the U11 X1.

I have been speaking to Bimmercode and there is no available coding for the U11. Apparently BWM has it locked down very hard. They do not see any coding being available in the foreseeable future.
at least my BMW salesman was honest... he said that he also hated the auto stop/start on his own BMW. he suspects that BMW wants everybody to hate it so much and end up buying full EV BMWs from now on.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 06:23 PM   #62
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
at least my BMW salesman was honest... he said that he also hated the auto stop/start on his own BMW. he suspects that BMW wants everybody to hate it so much and end up buying full EV BMWs from now on.
That’s been on my mind as a conspiracy for a while!

Why bother saving any fuel! You kill the starter.
Appreciate 0