BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Spare Wheel

08-22-2023, 05:08 AM   #1
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

Spare Wheel

My BMW 23i M Sport is due to be built in November and will come with 20" wheels. As with most X1's, there is no spare wheel (only available with Sdrive diesel, I think) and just a bottle of gunk and a compressor. The problem is that this gunk only works with certain punctures and often results in a replacement tyre afterwards as few tyre repairers can, or are prepared, to remove the gunk afterwards to repair the tyre.

So, I am looking for a space saver wheel to fit in a tyre bag in the boot of the car and want to know if anyone else has done this yet? There are companies that sell space saver tyre kits which includes everything you need. The two key things to consider are the bolt fitting pattern and the diameter of the tyre. BMW wheels, (like some VW) have a bolt fitting pattern of 5x112 and the tyre diameter of 245/40/R20 tyres is 704mm. A space saver tyre of 145/85/R18 has the diameter of 703.7mm and given there can be a tolerance of up to 3%, this is well within that? Most kits I have seen though come with 145/80/R18 tyres which has a diameter of 689mm but that is only just over 1% difference and well within tolerance. So, question is has anybody bought a space saver and what size tyre did they get?

Also, I am aware there is a storage space below the boot floor. I forgot to look at this when I test drove the car. Would a space saver fit here?

Grateful for any help and comments.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 07:13 AM   #2
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Many thanks for the reply. Your link is to a tyre kit that I was looking at which I referred to in my post above (although I didn't mention it by name) and comes with a 145/80/R18 tyre that has a diameter of 689 mm and well within 3% tolerance for 704mm tyres. If it helps others, I used the following link to a reckoner (scroll to the bottom of the page) for determining the diameter of any tyre https://x-engineer.org/calculate-wheel-radius/

Grateful for the response and also for the link to the tyre set which reinforces my own views. Very helpful.
Appreciate 1
Mini Mize179.50
      10-16-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Perhaps a silly question, but does anyone have a picture or part number for the genuine BMW jack for the X1? I ask as the space-saver spare wheel kits offered for sale often come with just a generic scissor type jack which tends to be universal for all cars but that may mean having to locate a safe jacking point under the car and with my luck, it will be dark and raining.

I know some cars have jacks that fit into the sill below the doors or a slot in the frame of the car. i don't know if the X1 has this?

Grateful for anyone who can shed some light on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 12:38 PM   #4
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John27 View Post
Perhaps a silly question, but does anyone have a picture or part number for the genuine BMW jack for the X1? I ask as the space-saver spare wheel kits offered for sale often come with just a generic scissor type jack which tends to be universal for all cars but that may mean having to locate a safe jacking point under the car and with my luck, it will be dark and raining.

I know some cars have jacks that fit into the sill below the doors or a slot in the frame of the car. i don't know if the X1 has this?

Grateful for anyone who can shed some light on this?
I think you mean the jack (#11) in that parts diagram? Part# 71106889708

https://www.bmw-etk.info/teile-katal...65/71/71_1245/

I have it in my xDrive28i and to be honest, it doesn't look very rugged.(as in it looks like it will fail after a few uses) I have the US$49 yellow "shorty" bottle jack in my other SUV. It it much more rugged. Got it from Amazon during Black Friday sale for US$26 a couple of years ago. If Amazon discounts it again during next month's Black Friday sale, I'll buy another one for my new X1.
Attached Images

Last edited by SpaceSilverX1; 10-16-2023 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
John2721.50
      10-16-2023, 06:02 PM   #5
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
As with most X1's, there is no spare wheel (only available with Sdrive diesel, I think) and just a bottle of gunk and a compressor.
Does that mean the MY24 USA 28i and M35 models won't have a spare tire or run flats?

If that's the case, is there still room under the boot/trunk for a compact spare and jack?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 08:24 PM   #6
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPMAN48 View Post
Rubber Jacking Jack Pad Adaptor.
Jack looks fine. It is better than a scissor jack which are very difficult to wind up once the wheel(s) are off the ground. I also keep an 8" x 8" + 1" wooden block in the boot to spread the load on soft ground and keep it level. Tons of the pads on Ebay. Jack Pad Adaptor - It sits on top of the jack and fits into the 4 jacking points No. 2 on the diagram below. PHOTO IS NOT A BMW..... THERE ARE NO SEATS FOR THE ADAPTER, YOU MUST ONLY USE THESE!
Wheel Chocks are also recommended to stop the car rolling back/forward when up on jack. DON'T RELY ON ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE OR GEAR IN "P". You will also need a strong long handle/telescopic wheel brace with plastic/tape wrapped round the socket end to stop damaging the paint in the bolt holes. The wheel bolts are torqued up very tight.
To be honest If I get a puncture I am quite capable of changing the wheel but I will still call out roadside assist, if circumstances permit, to do it.

I also keep a solid rubber board. It's about 10x10x2. Ordered it from Amazon many years ago.. I think it was originally used by construction equipment like cranes to prevent damage to the road surface or something. It comes in very handy when I had to change a flat on snow or dirt roads. Keeps the jack nice and steady.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 01:16 AM   #7
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
I think you mean the jack (#11) in that parts diagram? Part# 71106889708

https://www.bmw-etk.info/teile-katal...65/71/71_1245/

I have it in my xDrive28i and to be honest, it doesn't look very rugged.(as in it looks like it will fail after a few uses) I have the US$49 yellow "shorty" bottle jack in my other SUV. It it much more rugged. Got it from Amazon during Black Friday sale for US$26 a couple of years ago. If Amazon discounts it again during next month's Black Friday sale, I'll buy another one for my new X1.
Really helpful - thank you. I am amazed it is a scissor jack as standard but fair enough. At least I know those jacks in the space-saver kits are similar.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 01:24 AM   #8
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGREANY View Post
Does that mean the MY24 USA 28i and M35 models won't have a spare tire or run flats?

If that's the case, is there still room under the boot/trunk for a compact spare and jack?
Many of the UK models are mild hydrid cars (my car is 23i) and the batteries for this fit beneath the boot/trunk floor meaning there isn't room for a spare wheel (you get one of those useless tyre repair kits). So if you want a spare wheel (a space-saver suits me) then you have to buy that and place it in your boot (MAPMAN48 has kindly posted details of kits etc that are available earlier in this thread).

I didn't think the BMW X1 was available in the US with mild hydrid technology so these cars should have space for a spare wheel beneath the floor of the trunk/boot.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 01:35 AM   #9
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Many of the UK models are mild hydrid cars (my car is 23i) and the batteries for this fit beneath the boot/trunk floor meaning there isn't room for a spare wheel (you get one of those useless tyre repair kits). So if you want a spare wheel (a space-saver suits me) then you have to buy that and place it in your boot (MAPMAN48 has kindly posted details of kits etc that are available earlier in this thread).

I didn't think the BMW X1 was available in the US with mild hydrid technology so these cars should have space for a spare wheel beneath the floor of the trunk/boot.
BMW doesn't think we deserve hybrid or full EV X1 here in the US....

if I need a full-size spare tire, I will probably look into something like this: (search for "BMW spare wheel carrier" on Google)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 02:32 AM   #10
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BMW doesn't think we deserve hybrid or full EV X1 here in the US....

if I need a full-size spare tire, I will probably look into something like this: (search for "BMW spare wheel carrier" on Google)
In all fairness, I don't think mild hybrid technology is worth the grief. I'd much rather have the space under the boot/trunk floor but ICE engines, other than the Sdrive diesel, all came with mild hybrid technology back when I ordered so had no choice.

While not a problem for me (as my boot/trunk is empty most of the time), if I wanted a spare wheel but had no space in the rear of the car, a rear external bracket to hold the spare wheel could be a good solution. However, the black car's version would be illegal/unlawful in the UK as the wheel obscures the number/licence plate and while the silver car's version is better as the plate can go in the centre of the wheel, I believe UK rules require the plate to be illuminated at night. However, there is bound to be something similar that is suitable for the UK market.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 03:03 AM   #11
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 03:09 AM   #12
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Do you get a lot of problems with punctures, I can't say I've had one in decades, always used to think I needed something but never bother now. If I was really stuck a lot less hassle to just get recovered somewhere.

My wife had a puncture years ago in her BMW and couldn't get a replacement tyre. BMW recovered the car, sorted the tyre and gave her a replacement car whilst it was getting sorted. A lot better than trying to sort a try in the car all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 04:15 AM   #13
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
Mild hybrid is probably great for someone who mainly uses the car to nip down to the shops and does mostly 10-15 mile trips. The extra cost over my 18d would never be made back for me and lkkely for many users but ut makes them feel like they are beginning an electric journey…
From what I have seen, the mild hybrid simply adds to what the ICE produces which gives a better mpg. The car does not run on electricity alone like plug-in hybrids where I agree, short trips on electric power only could be beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 04:21 AM   #14
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I had a puncture in my week old tires after mounting my BBS wheels on the X1. Somehow got a 2 inch Allen bolt lodged in the tread, about 1/4" thick. I don't even bother with the spare, I just used the tire patch kit and compressor I bought on Amazon. Was done in less than 10 minutes, I'm sure it would have taken me longer had I tried to use the spare tire and toolkit instead. Just jacking the car up and removing the wheel would have taken as long. In all the years I've been driving, I've never had a tire plug fail on me, even driving on the tire till the tread wore down. The only instance where I might use the spare is if somehow the sidewall got damaged, since plugs aren't meant for use there.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 04:32 AM   #15
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Do you get a lot of problems with punctures, I can't say I've had one in decades, always used to think I needed something but never bother now. If I was really stuck a lot less hassle to just get recovered somewhere.

My wife had a puncture years ago in her BMW and couldn't get a replacement tyre. BMW recovered the car, sorted the tyre and gave her a replacement car whilst it was getting sorted. A lot better than trying to sort a try in the car all the time.
Without wanting to tempt fate, no I rarely get punctures. But if I get one, swapping a spare takes 15 mins max whereas the tyre repair gunk may not work if the hole is either in the wrong place or too big. I could then be waiting many hours for recovery.

Also, even if the tyre repair gunk does work, there is the possibility that a new tyre will be needed as often this gunk cannot be removed, or no one is prepared to try to remove it, to fix the tyre.

Hence my desire for a spare wheel. Cheaper and quicker all round. But, not for everyone.
Appreciate 1
MontyB11421.00
      10-17-2023, 06:50 AM   #16
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

Quote:
From what I have seen, the mild hybrid simply adds to what the ICE produces which gives a better mpg. The car does not run on electricity alone like plug-in hybrids where I agree, short trips on electric power only could be beneficial.
You’re quite right, I had just woken up and had a senior moment 😂
Appreciate 1
John2721.50
      10-17-2023, 07:03 AM   #17
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
You’re quite right, I had just woken up and had a senior moment 😂
since I'm in another time zone 5 hours behind you, I just woke up.

still too sleepy to look it up, but can I actually have a "senior moment" if I'm already a senior? or is there some rule against double jeopardy? let's see what I think about that after my coffeemaker finishes brewing and I consume my usual 6 cups of morning coffee.
Appreciate 3
John2721.50
Tomduck400.50
      10-18-2023, 03:26 AM   #18
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

MHT definitely works. Our X1 is nearly 300kg heavier than the F40 1 series that it replaced but has better fuel economy (same petrol engine as the F40).

The 118d does not have MHT and a space saver spare wheel is an option on that model. Maybe your local BMW dealership could advise with part numbers based on a 118d?

I have only had 1 puncture so far in my Skoda. Tyre sealant gunk did nothing for the hole in the sidewall and I had to have the car recovered on a truck. Luckily Skoda sell the spare wheel kit as a dealer spares item so this was my first investment after getting a new tyre fitted.

Last edited by ronime; 10-18-2023 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
John2721.50
      10-21-2023, 11:03 PM   #19
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Really helpful - thank you. I am amazed it is a scissor jack as standard but fair enough. At least I know those jacks in the space-saver kits are similar.
does BMW have two different styles of jacks?

the one in my X1(USA) has this part number: 71-10-6-889-708

like this one sold on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125390969805
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 03:22 AM   #20
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
does BMW have two different styles of jacks?

the one in my X1(USA) has this part number: 71-10-6-889-708

like this one sold on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125390969805
Thanks for posting. No, I have only seen scissor jacks like the picture you posted and am not aware BMW offer a different style of jack for the X1 (U11). Scissor jacks tend not to be the most user friendly to use as you typically need to get under the car to place it right, but they are common and effective.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 10:32 AM   #21
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPMAN48 View Post
There do seem to be 2 BMW jacks floating around, an old and a new
the photo above shows the "cheap" new one with the flat ring type winder whereas the old one (from ebay photos of used ones) has a proper 1/2" socket/ 17mm hex nut and a ratchet crank handle (actually a modified 2 tonne HEYNER LIFT PRO 345220 Jack ) and is infinitely better.
They both presumably have a "BMW Only" top which fits snuggly into the jacking points on the side sills of the car to keep it in place, without the need to crawl under anywhere.
The "new" Brano one can be converted to the far superior winder of the "old" Heyner one using an adapter (£6 on ebay) as shown below. But it would be better and cheaper to buy the Heyner with the ratchet crank handle and a nice bag and use a Rubber Jacking adapter (see previous post) on the concave top to keep it in place. When I bought my space savers for the X1-F48 and X3-F25 and X3-G01 years ago I got a discount by saying I didn't want the jack or wheel brace as I already have a few of both. X1-U11 can use same wheel as F48 with optional different tyre as perfectly ok for limited use only c.2.5% difference in circumference.

Thanks! That little device looks very cool.

As for the BMW-supplied jack, it's anything but cheap. I noticed that it was US$127 from my BMW dealer. The spare tire/wheel was probably another $100 to 200. It does make me wonder why BMW chose to include a real spare and took kit for the US market. They could have saved a lot of money by supplying just a mobility kit with tire sealant.
Appreciate 1
Mini Mize179.50
      10-22-2023, 08:51 PM   #22
vrsyd
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive20i M Sport (U11)

So, my BMW X1 xDrive20i doesn't come with a spare tyre here in Australia (Rude. I know!). The tyre sticker on the door sill mentions this tyre size - T 135/80 R17 103 M. I'm going to assume this is a space saver spare tyre size suited for this particular car. Google says so!

Now, I checked with BMW Sydney and a couple of other tyre shops in Sydney - some can supply the tyre, but not the rim. Apparently this rim is the fountain of youth....can't be found anywhere in the country
Attached Images

Appreciate 0