BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Spare Wheel

10-22-2023, 09:29 PM   #23
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrsyd View Post
Apparently this rim is the fountain of youth....

oh my God!!! you mean I've been driving around with the fountain of youth in the boot of my 2023 BMW X1!!!???

No wonder I've been feeling like a kid again recently!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
timesone184.50
      10-22-2023, 10:30 PM   #24
vrsyd
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive20i M Sport (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
oh my God!!! you mean I've been driving around with the fountain of youth in the boot of my 2023 BMW X1!!!???

No wonder I've been feeling like a kid again recently!
That spare wheel is making me so envious
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 07:52 PM   #25
vrsyd
Australia
Rep

Soo, I contacted my dealer and BMW Australia to get a spare wheel. It will have to be imported from Germany. Will cost AU$500 odd for the wheel+tyre; another AU$700 odd for the tool kit - jack, wrench, screwdriver, styrofoam case etc. Bit pricey for the tools!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 08:23 PM   #26
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Soo, I contacted my dealer and BMW Australia to get a spare wheel. It will have to be imported from Germany. Will cost AU$500 odd for the wheel+tyre; another AU$700 odd for the tool kit - jack, wrench, screwdriver, styrofoam case etc. Bit pricey for the tools!

that's a lot of money for a temporary spare wheel/tire.

if I'm facing the same dilemma, I'll most likely just buy a full size wheel/tire identical to my current wheels. It will ride in the roof carrier. The best thing about a full-size spare wheels is that you can drive it as far and as fast as you want, since it's identical to the other three wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 08:59 PM   #27
vrsyd
Australia
Rep

Quote:
that's a lot of money for a temporary spare wheel/tire.

if I'm facing the same dilemma, I'll most likely just buy a full size wheel/tire identical to my current wheels. It will ride in the roof carrier. The best thing about a full-size spare wheels is that you can drive it as far and as fast as you want, since it's identical to the other three wheels.
Nope, no roof carrier. This is going in the empty space under the boot floor. Full size spare doesn't fit in there, so has to be the space saver. Will probably skip the toolkit though. I can source the equivalent stuff for waaay less.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 01:11 AM   #28
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

In the UK, all the non-PHEV models (except 18 sdrive diesel) are mild hybrid and do not have room under the boot floor for even a space saver as this is where the batteries are located. The best option seems to me is a third party kit like https://www.carnoisseur.com/products...t-bmw-x1-rh211 (credit to MAPMAN48 for the information in earlier post). This kit includes the space-saver wheel, jack and tools and a bag that it all fits in. Cost is £300 approx. I've also seen companies based in USA selling similar kits and who ship worldwide. Might be a more affordable option given the price of BMW parts and the likelihood of the spare ever being needed?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 12:40 PM   #29
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Nope, no roof carrier. This is going in the empty space under the boot floor. Full size spare doesn't fit in there, so has to be the space saver. Will probably skip the toolkit though. I can source the equivalent stuff for waaay less.
just several hours ago, a family friend called me because her car hit a large pot hole at 70mph on the interstate. The wheel was bent and no longer usable. the AAA guy helped her put on the temporary spare tire.(which was obviously only rated for 50mph driving for a short distance)

she was about 150 miles away from home and had another 200 miles before reaching her destination. She drove to the nearest Toyota dealer and they didn't have the wheel in stock. They were finally able to locate one 40 miles away(in the opposite direction). She drove there at less than 50mph to reach there and it took over an hour and half. With the new wheel and tire installed, she was able to continue. The whole ordeal took almost 7 hours. At least it happened during the day... if she was traveling at night, it would have cause an even bigger inconvenience.

edit: just heard from her again... she is is still stuck again... the TPMS sensor that was moved from the damaged to the new wheel turned out to be faulty and leaking... another hour for them to replace it.

if her car came equipped with a full-size spare wheel, she could have continued on her trip without wasting 7 hours....

on my previous car, it also came with a temporary spare, but I put one of the snow tires on full-size wheel in the trunk. It raised the trunk floor a couple of inches, but the peace of mind was worth it. Since the snow tire was identical in size, I could drive as fast and as far as the other regular tires and avoid getting stranded. I may do that for my current X1 as well. there really is no substitue for a full-size tire in the trunk.

Last edited by SpaceSilverX1; 10-27-2023 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 01:55 PM   #30
cayenne444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGREANY View Post
Does that mean the MY24 USA 28i and M35 models won't have a spare tire or run flats?

If that's the case, is there still room under the boot/trunk for a compact spare and jack?
The 24 28i still has it, but it appears any car ordered with the upgraded M brakes doesn't, so all M35i and 28i's with the upgrade. I assume because it doesn't fit over the big brakes up front.

You could theoretically get one and rotate your rear wheel to the front if you had a front flat, and then put the spare on the rear?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 07:31 AM   #31
envoytheguy
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i

Quote:
Hello, I’m considering the.x1 for my wife and a spare is a priority for us. Would you mind sharing the details of the spare wheel like which dealership you dealt with and invoice/quotation so I can check it out with my local dealer in Sydney? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:13 AM   #32
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

In the UK, BMW only supply one space-saver spare wheel for the X1 (U11) which is only available on the 18 SDrive diesel here. However, since that model can be purchased with 20" wheels, it follows that this spare will fit any X1 fitted with up to 20" wheels.

The only thing to consider is if you are looking at the M Sport model. Since I ordered my car in March, BMW now fit either red or blue brake calipers to M Sport models. My dealer thinks they are also larger than the brakes originally fitted to the car (but doesn't know for sure) so we are waiting for my car to arrive next month and seeing if the space-saver spare will fit (the space saver wheel is a 17" steel wheel I believe). I assume the calipers are the same size as before but will post here when I find out for sure for those interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:40 AM   #33
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John27 View Post
In the UK, BMW only supply one space-saver spare wheel for the X1 (U11) which is only available on the 18 SDrive diesel here. However, since that model can be purchased with 20" wheels, it follows that this spare will fit any X1 fitted with up to 20" wheels.

The only thing to consider is if you are looking at the M Sport model. Since I ordered my car in March, BMW now fit either red or blue brake calipers to M Sport models. My dealer thinks they are also larger than the brakes originally fitted to the car (but doesn't know for sure) so we are waiting for my car to arrive next month and seeing if the space-saver spare will fit (the space saver wheel is a 17" steel wheel I believe). I assume the calipers are the same size as before but will post here when I find out for sure for those interested.
yes, the spare is 135/80R17 tire on 17-inch wheel. (my pics are in post #33 above)

I was wondering about that as well.. for those with the optional better brakes, I wonder if the 17-inch wheel can fit.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 09:12 AM   #34
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

An alternative to the BMW spare is one fitted to the VW Tiguan (in the UK) and possibly other VWs, if the brake calipers are now larger. This has the same bolt pattern as the BMW (5x112) but is an 18" steel wheel fitted with a 145/85/R18 tyre.

I understand the X1 on 20" alloy wheels is fitted with a 245/40/R20 tyre (I don't know for sure). If that is right, the circumference of this VW space-saver wheel & tyre is closer to that of the BMW 20" alloy wheel and tyre than the 17" BMW space-saver (which I assume must be in tolerance or BMW wouldn't supply it (see my post #1 in this thread)).

Might be worth checking out in the event the 17" space-saver doesn't fit.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 10:48 AM   #35
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John27 View Post
An alternative to the BMW spare is one fitted to the VW Tiguan (in the UK) and possibly other VWs, if the brake calipers are now larger. This has the same bolt pattern as the BMW (5x112) but is an 18" steel wheel fitted with a 145/85/R18 tyre.

I understand the X1 on 20" alloy wheels is fitted with a 245/40/R20 tyre (I don't know for sure). If that is right, the circumference of this VW space-saver wheel & tyre is closer to that of the BMW 20" alloy wheel and tyre than the 17" BMW space-saver (which I assume must be in tolerance or BMW wouldn't supply it (see my post #1 in this thread)).

Might be worth checking out in the event the 17" space-saver doesn't fit.
I'm the old school kind who prefer a full-size spare tires.(one that is identical to the other 4 tires) My X1 had the 18" M wheels with 225/55/18 tires that came with the M Sport package. I was at the local Sam's Club(like Costco) and their tire center had a bunch of 225/55/18 tires in stock. I borrowed one from the employee and took it to my X1 in the parking lot. I took out the stock 135/80/17 spare tire and put the 225/55/18 in. The trunk floor couldn't close completely, obviously. It raised the floor by about an inch and half.. but still somewhat acceptable if one must carry a full size. it was just the tire with no wheel, so I don't know if it will be even taller when installed and inflated.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:12 PM   #36
vrsyd
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by envoytheguy View Post
Hello, I’m considering the.x1 for my wife and a spare is a priority for us. Would you mind sharing the details of the spare wheel like which dealership you dealt with and invoice/quotation so I can check it out with my local dealer in Sydney? Thanks!
I ordered the spare wheel from BMW Sydney - Rushcutters Bay. The space saver spare wheel is T135/80 R17 103M. Cost ~$520 for the space saver spare tyre and steel rim. Had to be ordered from Germany. I got it a couple of days ago. BMW Sydney were quoting $750 odd for the styrofoam casing with the scissor jack and tools. I declined that. Ordered an electric scissor jack and tools from Amazon instead, which was about $140 for the lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:36 PM   #37
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
I ordered the spare wheel from BMW Sydney - Rushcutters Bay. The space saver spare wheel is T135/80 R17 103M. Cost ~$520 for the space saver spare tyre and steel rim. Had to be ordered from Germany. I got it a couple of days ago. BMW Sydney were quoting $750 odd for the styrofoam casing with the scissor jack and tools. I declined that. Ordered an electric scissor jack and tools from Amazon instead, which was about $140 for the lot.
AUD$520 is US$330... I guess that's not bad for one tire and one wheel.

I wonder if your Australian X1 has a screw hole in the trunk so you can secure the spare wheel? I imagine that the screw hole is there just under the trunk lining. It wouldn't make sense for BMW to produce two different kinds of sheet metal in the trunk, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 12:00 AM   #38
vrsyd
Australia
Rep

Quote:
AUD$520 is US$330... I guess that's not bad for one tire and one wheel.

I wonder if your Australian X1 has a screw hole in the trunk so you can secure the spare wheel? I imagine that the screw hole is there just under the trunk lining. It wouldn't make sense for BMW to produce two different kinds of sheet metal in the trunk, right?
I assume it would be there. Haven't taken out the trunk lining to check. The spare wheel itself is heavy enough to lie there by itself without moving around. Not that I do donuts in the X1
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:18 AM   #39
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

In the UK, since the spare will not fit under the boot floor due to the batteries for the mild hybrid, any spare will need to sit on the boot floor. I normally buy a tyre bag and then secure that bag to the hooks around the boot.

While I agree, the tyre is heavy and doesn't move easily, brake suddenly at speed and an unsecured tyre will break through the rear seats and could hurt the occupants. Of course, that is true of anything heavy laying in the boot.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 01:14 AM   #40
envoytheguy
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the info! Will definitely look into this for ours. Agree getting the genuine tools is a massive rip off.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:37 AM   #41
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the info! Will definitely look into this for ours. Agree getting the genuine tools is a massive rip off.
"genuine" only because BMW sourced the jack and tire iron from approved reputable 3rd party manufacturers just like the temporary spare tire and wheel are manufactured by relatively unknown manufacturers who produced them in the People's Republic.

there are way better jacks out there, so just buy one that's better than the scissor jack sold by BMW and make sure it fits in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 08:16 PM   #42
envoytheguy
Rep

Quote:
Hi again, would you be able to share the part number of the wheel? My dealer isn’t too helpful and found the part number they got is for a 3 series…36115A3E071 costing $750.

Definitely not the same as yours. Would really appreciate if you could share that or an invoice if possible. Thanks a ton
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 10:38 PM   #43
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Hi again, would you be able to share the part number of the wheel? My dealer isn’t too helpful and found the part number they got is for a 3 series…36115A3E071 costing $750.

Definitely not the same as yours. Would really appreciate if you could share that or an invoice if possible. Thanks a ton
this is the 17" spare wheel that came inside my U.S. 2023 X1 xDrive28i. (see pics I posted in post #32)

BMW Sydney(Australia) shows 502 Australian Dollars for the spare wheel with tire. Under "What this fits" tab, it shows 2023 X1(U11)
https://parts.bmwsydney.com.au/p/BMW...115A56373.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SpaceSilver.X1; 12-07-2023 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 07:30 AM   #44
envoytheguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilver.X1 View Post
this is the 17" spare wheel that came inside my U.S. 2023 X1 xDrive28i. (see pics I posted in post #32)

BMW Sydney(Australia) shows 502 Australian Dollars for the spare wheel with tire. Under "What this fits" tab, it shows 2023 X1(U11)
https://parts.bmwsydney.com.au/p/BMW...115A56373.html

Hope this helps.
Amazing, can’t believe someone outside of Australia manages to find it but not my dealer
Thanks a ton! This will definitely help.
Appreciate 0