BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Auto start/stop - hate it and sort of defeat it

10-28-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
jb008
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

Auto start/stop - hate it and sort of defeat it

I hate the auto start/stop on my '23 X1, it shuts off the engine before the car is completely stopped if you try to creep into a light or a parking spot, and is slow to restart. Terrible terrible execution IMHO. Otherwise, I really like my X1 after ~7 weeks of ownership.

I was able to save auto start/stop "deactivate once" into my favorites menut that you access by taping the little menu expansion at the top of the touchscreen. It isn't quite as convenient as having a hard button or a top-layer button, but it isn't unreasonable to get to and I essentially drive with auto start/stop disabled all the time.

Even more interesting to me though... I can put the car into efficient mode, and then use my favorite button to deactivate auto start/stop while still in efficient mode (a feature that is not accessible through the normal GUI in this driving mode). Just wanted to share that favorite button auto start/stop find with the group.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 04:02 PM   #2
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb008 View Post
I hate the auto start/stop on my '23 X1, it shuts off the engine before the car is completely stopped if you try to creep into a light or a parking spot, and is slow to restart. Terrible terrible execution IMHO. Otherwise, I really like my X1 after ~7 weeks of ownership.

I was able to save auto start/stop "deactivate once" into my favorites menut that you access by taping the little menu expansion at the top of the touchscreen. It isn't quite as convenient as having a hard button or a top-layer button, but it isn't unreasonable to get to and I essentially drive with auto start/stop disabled all the time.

Even more interesting to me though... I can put the car into efficient mode, and then use my favorite button to deactivate auto start/stop while still in efficient mode (a feature that is not accessible through the normal GUI in this driving mode). Just wanted to share that favorite button auto start/stop find with the group.
I have learned to live with the engine auto start/stop feature. There's no way around it.(BMW or otherwise) Or I just use the screen shortcut to disable whenever I remember.(swipe down, click, click)

I used to activate sport mode via voice command just to avoid engine auto start/stop. However, I find that the sport mode holds the gears a little too long for my taste most of the time.
Appreciate 1
jb00815.50
      10-28-2023, 04:53 PM   #3
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that there is an "deactivate once" menu item for auto/start/stop in iDrive 8?

Where is WNY?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 05:47 PM   #4
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNorb View Post
Are you saying that there is an "deactivate once" menu item for auto/start/stop in iDrive 8?

Where is WNY?[/QUOTE]

WNY = Western New York (for example: Buffalo)

WNY
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York

since you're in the West, I suppose you also don't know where DMV is?

DMV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...ropolitan_area
Appreciate 1
jb00815.50
      10-28-2023, 06:46 PM   #5
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep

[

DMV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...ropolitan_area[/QUOTE]

Your are right....I thought DMV was "department of Motor vehicles"! But I still want to know if iDrive 8 has a "deactivate once" menu item for the start/stop problem.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2023, 08:02 PM   #6
a0krn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023 x28i

The thing I hate the most is the engine doesn’t turn off all that long anyways. It will auto stop engine then a few 20-30 seconds later it’ll start even though I’m still waiting at a red light.

Makes me feel like it’s not saving any gas at all. Even with climate off.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 08:53 PM   #7
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
[

DMV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...ropolitan_area
Your are right....I thought DMV was "department of Motor vehicles"! But I still want to know if iDrive 8 has a "deactivate once" menu item for the start/stop problem.[/QUOTE]

yes, there's a deactivate once item in the menu. Like the post above mentioned, I also have a shortcut in the swipe-down menu. I click on it and it takes me directly to the menu with the "deactivate once" button. once clicked, the engine auto stop/start function is deactivated, until the engine is restarted again next time.
Appreciate 1
RNorb242.00
      10-28-2023, 08:55 PM   #8
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0krn View Post
The thing I hate the most is the engine doesn’t turn off all that long anyways. It will auto stop engine then a few 20-30 seconds later it’ll start even though I’m still waiting at a red light.

Makes me feel like it’s not saving any gas at all. Even with climate off.
my driveway goes up hill and into the garage. every single time I drive into the garage slowly(in order to avoid hitting the shelves at the end), the engine stops and starts at least 4 or 5 times, basically every couple of feet(less than 1 second each time)... talk about frustrating. of course, if I have engine auto stop/start deactivated, it doesn't do that. however, I don't always remember to do that when I drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 08:03 AM   #9
jb008
Rep

I'm in Monroe County.

Quote:

If I'm in personal mode and hit the hard button below "My Modes" in the armrest.

That pulls up the touchscreen menu that includes on/off for Iconic Sounds. Hit the space above the sound option and it pulls up a menu that includes disabling auto start/stop.

Long pressing the disable auto start/stop and it gave me the option to add it to my shortcuts. This makes it a two-step button using the GUI (access shortcuts button is press one, deactivate once is press two - with the added bonus that the menu disappears after I've pressed the button), whereas the hard button route was a 4-button process (hard button, press above Iconic Sound, deactivate AS-O/O, banish menu as 4th button press).

In efficient mode, the GUI hides the Auto Start on/off. The shortcut circumvents the GUI though, so I can put the car into efficient mode and then disable Auto Start. Noting that placing the car into Efficient Mode will enable Auto Start just like how Sport Mode disables Auto Start. So I need to remember to put the car into Efficient mode and then disable the Auto Start.

I'm seeing about a 1 MPG boost in Efficient Mode and more importantly, I find the gearing to be best suited for my daily commute so that's typically my preferred mode. I originally was using Sport Mode to turn off the Auto Start/Stop, but I found that I was taking about 10% reduction in fuel efficiency with the transmission holding the higher RPMs and it wasn't a good fit for my daily commute. I like having the pep available, but not on a daily commute that involves 2 separate school zones, a school bus depot, 2 stop lights, and a fire station (with lots of police traffic) all posted 35 MPH (with lower school zone speeds at specific times).

@RNorb - I sent you a DM with the links to the pics I referenced above, I don't think the image files are displaying on the forums. I know defeating Auto Start/Stop was a huge plus for me. I was so frustrated that I was starting to consider contacting my dealer to ask whether I could return the vehicle, until I found the buttons to disable it. I agree with some of the video reviews that describe the auto start/stop as potentially dangerous because of the inconsistency on when it will engage and the long window during which the car becomes non-responsive to throttle.

Last edited by jb008; 10-29-2023 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
RNorb242.00
      10-29-2023, 08:52 AM   #10
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Most peeps don't read their owner's manual...mystery to me
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
jb00815.50
      10-29-2023, 10:46 AM   #11
jb008
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Most peeps don't read their owner's manual...mystery to me
I did check the owner's manual, and still didn't see this aspect of the Auto Start/Stop covered fwiw.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #12
zerbitini
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

So; 1) swipe down for the shortcuts, 2) touch the “disable” shortcut, 3) touch “deactivate once”, 4) hit “home” (or “climate” menu in my case). That’s 4 touches every time I start the car. And if I forget to do it while I’m still in park, my eyes are off the road while I’m driving to look at the display and make sure I’m touching all the right spots. Ludicrous.
With our Crosstrek it is a simple “reach down, feel the button and push it”. Far simpler and MUCH safer.
BMW needs to study Lean and the 8 Deadly Wastes as they’ve made a simple operation unnecessarily complicated.
      10-29-2023, 11:05 AM   #13
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerbitini View Post
So; 1) swipe down for the shortcuts, 2) touch the “disable” shortcut, 3) touch “deactivate once”, 4) hit “home” (or “climate” menu in my case). That’s 4 touches every time I start the car. And if I forget to do it while I’m still in park, my eyes are off the road while I’m driving to look at the display and make sure I’m touching all the right spots. Ludicrous.
With our Crosstrek it is a simple “reach down, feel the button and push it”. Far simpler and MUCH safer.
BMW needs to study Lean and the 8 Deadly Wastes as they’ve made a simple operation unnecessarily complicated.
I used to just say "Hello. BMW. Activate. Sport. Mode." That puts the car in sport mode and disables engine auto-stop-start.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 01:45 PM   #14
a0krn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
I used to just say "Hello. BMW. Activate. Sport. Mode." That puts the car in sport mode and disables engine auto-stop-start.
Is it impossible to turn off auto start using voice commands?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 02:04 PM   #15
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb008 View Post
I'm in Monroe County.

@RNorb - I sent you a DM with the links to the pics I referenced above, I don't think the image files are displaying on the forums. I know defeating Auto Start/Stop was a huge plus for me. I was so frustrated that I was starting to consider contacting my dealer to ask whether I could return the vehicle, until I found the buttons to disable it. I agree with some of the video reviews that describe the auto start/stop as potentially dangerous because of the inconsistency on when it will engage and the long window during which the car becomes non-responsive to throttle.
Thanks for the info! I dislike the ASS as much as you do. I'm hoping the "deactivate once" setting is still available on iDrive 9 as I have a 2024 on order.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 02:29 PM   #16
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
I'm hoping the "deactivate once" setting is still available on iDrive 9 as I have a 2024 on order.
I would hope so but what we really need is a "deactivate until activated again" button as is available on the previous E84 X1 model.
      10-29-2023, 03:36 PM   #17
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

And the US owners wonder why BMW isn’t bothering with any X1/2 EV or PHEVs being shipped……. Baffling.

Stop start is much better today that it used to be, I can’t say I’ve ever turning it off in any BMW, prefer to save fuel and the planet.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 05:59 PM   #18
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
And the US owners wonder why BMW isn’t bothering with any X1/2 EV or PHEVs being shipped……. Baffling.

Stop start is much better today that it used to be, I can’t say I’ve ever turning it off in any BMW, prefer to save fuel and the planet.
EVs and PHEVs have their place in the transportation world, but the idea that they will have anything to do with "saving the planet" is fantasy. All they do is move Co2 emissions from the tail pipe to the mining of rare minerals. It takes thousands of pounds of earth being mined to make just one EV battery. And the mining is all done in counties that have no concern for "saving the planet". At best, our government mandate to switch to EVs from gas powered vehicles will be a wash.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41912.50
      10-29-2023, 06:25 PM   #19
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post

If it interferes with safely driving the vehicle or the predictability of the throttle, then of course I don’t want it. If it was consistent in how it worked, that would still be better than the way it is now. Sometimes it stops the motor while the car is still rolling, sometimes it doesn’t. And usually when it does it’s when I don’t need to actually stop. That being said, mine is on most of the time except in spots where I know it could get me in trouble if the motor doesn’t kick on right away.
I wish they’d just update the software already so we can all just move on.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 2
SAS X119.50
MontyB11421.00
      10-29-2023, 07:18 PM   #20
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

Pull shift knob twice, goes to sports mode or S on indicator , start stop gone, easy.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41912.50
      10-29-2023, 07:42 PM   #21
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothar View Post
Pull shift knob twice, goes to sports mode or S on indicator , start stop gone, easy.
That’s what I’ve been in the habit of doing since February, and then I just shift it back to D right after
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41912.50
      10-29-2023, 09:11 PM   #22
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
That’s what I’ve been in the habit of doing since February, and then I just shift it back to D right after
the other day, I was doing just under 80mph and keep pace with all the cars around me. Since I was close to the city, I knew I would be coming up to stop and go traffice, so I tried the gear shift method to make it go to S.

I didn't look down and probably pushed the wrong way to go back to D and the car somehow ended up in N. It started to slow down and it was kind of scary for me and the other cars following me. I pushed it again to move it back to D.

Is it supposed to permit me to shift from S to N(or D to N) at that kind of speed? I looked in the manual and didn't really see it mentioned. Of course, I won't try it again when I'm on the interstate again.
Appreciate 0