BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) About to take the plunge

11-07-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX1 XDrive30 MSport

About to take the plunge

Hi all,
I'm currently in an Audi S3, think I'm pulling the trigger on a Storm Bay IX1 Xdrive 30.

I've added Tech pack plus, Msport pro pack, Sun protection glass, Harman Kardon surround sound system. I'm also considering adding the sunroof.

This will be my first electric car, so I'm opting for the free podpoint install as well.

Any recommendations on spec, and anything I should know?

Just hoping the wait time won't be too long
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 04:51 PM   #2
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Looks good, not my colour but that is up to you.

On spec, if you might want the blind sport, or automated driving I’d add it from new for the £1500 rather than afterwards. It’s expensive and far less functional afterwards. The massage / adaptive seats aren’t worth it so avoid those.

We went the PHEV route instead and love it most journeys are on EV for us and the flexibility to quickly go longer and fill up if the need arises. It’s a good drive, you will enjoy it from an S3, little higher up but a good compromise.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #3
Tunners
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) 30e M Sport

If it’s something you want quickly have a look on the BMW Stock Locator or Autotrader there are a few decently spec’d iX1’s about.

Spec you have listed looks good.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 06:23 PM   #4
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

if available in the UK, definitely add "Active Seats"(lumbar support and massaging function)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:18 PM   #5
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Some snaps to perhaps make you jump?😉
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      11-07-2023, 08:26 PM   #6
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
you know that BMW is not going to send you a commission check, right?

although.... I referred a family friend to take over my M35i order. The salesman was very grateful and gave me a $50 parts/service voucher.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 12:57 AM   #7
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

We've had our iX1xDrive 30 in Storm Bay for 6 months and very happy with it. We have those options and also Comfort Pack, Driving Assistant Professional and the sunroof.

Electric memory seats are a must for us and we both use the car and having to move the seats each time would be annoying. Sunroof is great for making the car lighter but probably not a big deal for most people. DAP is something I always add to cars as I use it a lot.

We also spec'd the 20" wheels which I don't believe impact the range too much. That said, the range is not great, particularly in the colder weather. Unless we're planning a longer drive, we charge to 80% and then use it down to around 20-30% which means we get around 90-100 miles by using 50-60% of the battery capacity. Most of the time we're only local so charging at home is no issue.

The longest round trip I've done was 300 miles and was pleasantly surprised on how easy it was. Charged to 100% before setting off and two 20 min DC fast charges on the way down meant the car was back up to 90% before the return journey, which was plenty to get home.

The only negative really, is that it's touch screen only which isn't that safe IMO. DAP does go someway to offsetting that if you need to update the Nav whilst on the motorway etc.

I've just sold my M340i Touring and whilst that was faster 0-60, in normal driving it didn't feel like it. The instant torque in the iX1 is just more usable. It was coming up to 4 years and decided to sell it and switch to an i4 due to the savings via the company car scheme.

A year ago, I would have said there's 0% chance we'd have any, let alone 2 EV's! When I looked back over the previous year, there's probably 6 occasions when we need to travel somewhere where the cars range couldn't do the full return journey i.e. 100 mile radius from home. If I did regular long journeys, I don't think I would have gone full EV as you hear of some horror stories finding available DC chargers, let alone the cost of them.
Appreciate 1
Mootsj22.00
      11-08-2023, 03:50 AM   #8
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks this is really useful info, I should be fine on range. I very rarely do long distance trips, and only do 8000 miles a year so this feels like a good fit.

Looking at Driver assistant plus the configurator won't let me spec that as well as the M sport pro pack. It removes it, I can add the professional pack which is another £1k but there's literally no difference on the description of the 2 packages, which is odd.

I presume based on the info in those descriptions that adaptive cruise control is not a standard function, and also the camera based speed limit recognition is not a standard function?

I find it hard to see what is standard spec on the BMW site, seems a lot clearer on other manufacturers sites.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 03:51 AM   #9
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
Personal opinion obviously, but that's the best colour combo
Appreciate 1
richiro270.00
      11-08-2023, 04:03 AM   #10
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

Nice use of the 50th anniversary M logo
Appreciate 1
richiro270.00
      11-08-2023, 04:10 AM   #11
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsj View Post
Thanks this is really useful info, I should be fine on range. I very rarely do long distance trips, and only do 8000 miles a year so this feels like a good fit.

Looking at Driver assistant plus the configurator won't let me spec that as well as the M sport pro pack. It removes it, I can add the professional pack which is another £1k but there's literally no difference on the description of the 2 packages, which is odd.

I presume based on the info in those descriptions that adaptive cruise control is not a standard function, and also the camera based speed limit recognition is not a standard function?

I find it hard to see what is standard spec on the BMW site, seems a lot clearer on other manufacturers sites.
I think you need Pro to get the adaptive cruise control with lane keeping.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:10 AM   #12
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Quote:

There’s a whole discussion here about the differences. For 1K difference, definitely go for the DA Pro over the Plus. Significant differences overall (if you intend to use the features, of course)

In summary, with the pro you gain:
  • Lane keep
  • Lane change assistant
  • Adaptive cruise control up to 130kmh (maybe 120kmh)
  • Traffic jam assistant
  • Blind spot warning mirrors
  • Traffic light assistant (not available in all countries)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:25 AM   #13
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
There’s a whole discussion here about the differences. For 1K difference, definitely go for the DA Pro over the Plus. Significant differences overall (if you intend to use the features, of course)

• Lane keep
  • Lane change assistant
  • Traffic jam assistant
Thanks! I'll have a search and see what I can find, certainly seems to suggest on the BMW website that most of those things are also included in the plus pack hence the confusion!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:28 AM   #14
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

• Lane keep
  • Lane change assistant
  • Traffic jam assistant
In the UK, we don't get Traffic Jam Assistant, Lane Change Assistant and Traffic light assistant.

I think on iDrive 8 you can code Lane Change Assistant and Traffic Light Assistant but have only done this on previous 3-series on iDrive 7.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:32 AM   #15
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! I'll have a search and see what I can find, certainly seems to suggest on the BMW website that most of those things are also included in the plus pack hence the confusion!
You’re right! I just checked the UK website and the description for both of these is exactly the same. This is definitely an error on the UK website as it shows the differences on other websites. For example, you can check out the Austrian website and use Google translate.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:43 AM   #16
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You’re right! I just checked the UK website and the description for both of these is exactly the same. This is definitely an error on the UK website as it shows the differences on other websites. For example, you can check out the Austrian website and use Google translate.
Good shout, thank you. I've gone back to my dealer and asked him for clear guidance.

It won't let me spec the plus anyway on the configurator, if I try it removes the m sport pro pack and the tech plus pack, so clearly some sort of overlap.

Might have to scrap the sunroof and get the pro pack instead
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:52 AM   #17
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good shout, thank you. I've gone back to my dealer and asked him for clear guidance.

It won't let me spec the plus anyway on the configurator, if I try it removes the m sport pro pack and the tech plus pack, so clearly some sort of overlap.

Might have to scrap the sunroof and get the pro pack instead
You can’t equip the DAPlus on the M Sport Pro pack. This is only possible on the M Sport trim without the M Sport Pro pack.
If you opt for the M Sport Pro pack, you can only select the DAPro pack.

You can also definitely add the sunroof in addition to the M Sport Pro pack and DAPro pack. (I double checked now before replying) unless you mean you can’t due to pricing. If that’s the case, definitely scrap the sunroof and get the pro pack instead. I debated getting the sunroof, but got it in the end and have used it only a handful of times. It’s nice to have, but completely unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 05:03 AM   #18
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You can’t equip the DAPlus on the M Sport Pro pack. This is only possible on the M Sport trim without the M Sport Pro pack.
If you opt for the M Sport Pro pack, you can only select the DAPro pack.

You can also definitely add the sunroof in addition to the M Sport Pro pack and DAPro pack. (I double checked now before replying) unless you mean you can’t due to pricing. If that’s the case, definitely scrap the sunroof and get the pro pack instead. I debated getting the sunroof, but got it in the end and have used it only a handful of times. It’s nice to have, but completely unnecessary.
Thanks, Yea it's cost related

I do like a sunroof, and my son likes being able to look out through the roof as well, but I'm in the UK - it's cold most of the time so you're right it gets limited use.

I'll see what the BMW dealer comes back with, as the functions included in the driving assist packs are also nice to haves - blind spot warning and adaptive cruise will also not be used that often

I'm fairly sure the heads up display already displays the speed limit, which on a vehicle so fast is a must have for me so I could go either way if my understanding is correct
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 05:07 AM   #19
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, Yea it's cost related

I do like a sunroof, and my son likes being able to look out through the roof as well, but I'm in the UK - it's cold most of the time so you're right it gets limited use.

I'll see what the BMW dealer comes back with, as the functions included in the driving assist packs are also nice to haves - blind spot warning and adaptive cruise will also not be used that often

I'm fairly sure the heads up display already displays the speed limit, which on a vehicle so fast is a must have for me so I could go either way if my understanding is correct
Yeah best to see what the dealer comes back with and then you can decide. Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 05:19 AM   #20
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
The plus we have activated at the moment and for us it doesn't do any lane keep, mirror aren't there so really in effect is a slightly improved (sometimes feels worse) cruise control function.

Thus as I mentioned if you did want it pay for the full package as it's only a little more. My wife is of the view for her and her main journey 90% of the time she won't enable it and wouldn't have purchased it but each use case is different.

We went PHEV as at time she might suddenly have to go on a longer journey and wanted the ability to do that without having to fight for a charger or wait before she can set off. So far it's been great, we got 800+ MPG last month, she has put fuel in the car once in 6 months so it's been the right choice for her and her use case.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 05:19 AM   #21
a0krn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023 x28i

Correct me if I’m wrong but pro assist also stops at traffic lights and goes when it’s green without any input from user. Auto adjust speed limit.

Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 06:28 AM   #22
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

My Msport Storm Bay says hi, and i’m very happy with it and the colour 😎
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Mootsj22.00
richiro270.00