BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Firm Ride is disappointing

01-10-2024, 09:04 PM   #45
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilver.X1 View Post
while I do drive to Canada sometimes, my travels are usually limited to Windsor, Toronto and Montreal. The roads in those places seem fine to me. But I guess many parts of Canada have lots of potholes due to the cold weather.

then I again, I drove to New York City and Newark a few times. That area has some of the worst roads on the East Coast. I didn't feel that my X1 with the M Sport Adaptive(Fake) suspension was too firm. Although that's probably due to the 18" tires.
I drive in those areas quite often (NYC/NJ greater area) and can tell you that the roads have gotten much worse with all the recent flooding and harsh storms coming through. The car does an okay job with handling city roads, i definitely have to keep an alert eye for road conditions as well as the traffic.

I did have one time I found myself in a very long driveway made of cobble stone, and man, did I want to shoot myself in the face after that one. Could not creep past 5mph without sounding like I was in a NASA rocket about to take off from houston. My neck aches at the thought of that mistake, I would love to never have to do that again.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2024, 09:39 PM   #46
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
I did have one time I found myself in a very long driveway made of cobble stone, and man, did I want to shoot myself in the face after that one.

I used to live in DMV. There are a few cobble stone streets in Alexandria, Virginia. Some date all the way back to the colonial era.

When I test drove new cars, I always deliberately used those streets just to see how the car/SUV behaved. IIRC, the only cars that could handle those cobble stones with decent comfort were: Lincoln Town Car(obviously), Lexus GS, Volvo XC90 and Mercedes S420. Everything else, including BMW 540i and Lexus IS, made me feel like my dental fillings were about to fall out.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 12:26 PM   #47
mavericksid
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
I drive in those areas quite often (NYC/NJ greater area) and can tell you that the roads have gotten much worse with all the recent flooding and harsh storms coming through. The car does an okay job with handling city roads, i definitely have to keep an alert eye for road conditions as well as the traffic.

I did have one time I found myself in a very long driveway made of cobble stone, and man, did I want to shoot myself in the face after that one. Could not creep past 5mph without sounding like I was in a NASA rocket about to take off from houston. My neck aches at the thought of that mistake, I would love to never have to do that again.
I was on a road to a campsite a few days ago, the road was definitely not smooth and was uneven, driving over 10kmph felt as if the car had no suspensions at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 01:21 PM   #48
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

I think the issue is one of perception. Is a BMW X1 trying to be the kind of car (in any trim) that can navigate cobbled streets or particularly poor roads in lovely cushioned comfort? The answer is no. Some cars can, and if that’s what you’re after see Spacesilvers post above
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 02:36 PM   #49
BobInSEPA
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW E46 330Cic Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildumplinx1 View Post
Coming from a 23 x-line to a 24 Msport, I have to say that the Msport is a much better and comfortable ride than the xline. I had 20 inch wheels on both cars and they were pretty much specd the same. I was really nervous about Msport suspension but it actually feels like it handles much better than the x-line! It's softer, but it's not harsh at all! When I would go over speed bumps in the xline, it felt like I was slamming into a pothole sometimes, but in the Msport it feels pretty smooth. Not sure how to describe it. It's definitely stiff but in a better way? And less body roll! Also side note, I completely hated the alcantara sport seats, but these veganza sports seats are even more comfortable than the xline regular seats!!
Considering all the complaints from professional American "Road Testers" about the harshness of the ride on 19 and 20 inch wheels, the only wheels they were given to drive,
BMW may have done some suspension tuning for MY2024 cars headed to North America and our terrible roads.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 03:37 PM   #50
Yorksdales66
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 20i X Line

When discussing ride comfort the problem is there are too many variables and personal opinions are subjective.

Wheels could be 17", 18", 19" or 20", Tyres are different profiles to suit the wheels. Then there are different makes of tyres running possibly different tyre pressures all of which couldmake a difference.

We could be discussing the ride of the MSport or Xline which will be different and people naturally compare the X1's ride with their own personal experience and ownership of other cars.

Before I collected my X1, I read reviews on here and youtube and took a general consensus of opinion. Now I have my car all I can say is that the X1 has exceeded my expectations in all areas..... so far.

Good point that Bobin makes, the cars are under constant development and we dont know if and when changes are made to any aspect of the car. For example my 2024 car has the missing glovebox light compared to the earlier U11 X1s

The ride handling comprimise on my X1 Xline on 18" wheels is superb. The ride is firm but less so than expected. No doubt the suspension can be caught out on some surfaces as it would on any car but I havent experienced that...... yet!

Last edited by Yorksdales66; 01-11-2024 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 04:46 PM   #51
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

It’s incredibly subjective as you say even the area and car people might have had before influences things. Also which X1 you have can make a difference, we have a PHEV that’s a little heavier so again might make the car feel firmer than someone in a base 20i for example.

As for suspension changing, I doubt it but it’s possible a dealer would have to order per the car / year which is rare they often only change things and make a fan fair about it via an LCI of the car normally but you never can tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 05:47 PM   #52
str8line
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, X6, X5, X1, i3, X6M, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobInSEPA View Post
Considering all the complaints from professional American "Road Testers" about the harshness of the ride on 19 and 20 inch wheels, the only wheels they were given to drive,
BMW may have done some suspension tuning for MY2024 cars headed to North America and our terrible roads.
The problem isn't our roads. I rent BMW's about five times/year and currently own seven of them including the previous X1. I've also owned BMW's since the 90's. I can say unequivocally that the current X1 is the worst riding of the whole bunch. I rented one last fall and drove it for five days. Amazing car in some respects but the ride was harsh. Not overly firm, just harsh. I mentioned it in another thread but the rebound damping is way off. I really hope they get it sorted because it's keeping me from replacing my current X1.
Appreciate 1
donnus20.50
      01-22-2024, 11:52 PM   #53
mavericksid
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8line View Post
The problem isn't our roads. I rent BMW's about five times/year and currently own seven of them including the previous X1. I've also owned BMW's since the 90's. I can say unequivocally that the current X1 is the worst riding of the whole bunch. I rented one last fall and drove it for five days. Amazing car in some respects but the ride was harsh. Not overly firm, just harsh. I mentioned it in another thread but the rebound damping is way off. I really hope they get it sorted because it's keeping me from replacing my current X1.
Yes, it's most definitely harsh but majority of people don't want to accept it or are fine with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 02:43 PM   #54
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
After having low profile tires on an ACURA TSX years ago & hitting a large pothole with 30 days of ownership I vowed never to buy that combo again. I ended up cracking a wheel & destroying the tire costing about $1,000 US dollars to replace them.
When I ordered my 2024 x1 28i in Late October 2023 (which I received just before the new year) & reading many complaints about ride quality & lower MPG rating of the larger tires being offered, I ordered mine with the standard 18" x 7.5" wheels (Style 866) & 225/55R18 101U All-Season tires. If I recall there was another 18” wheel I liked more but it was only offered with the “M” version.

Although the X1 ride is stiffer with the standard suspension than my Acura RDX with electronic adaptive suspension, it’s what I expected from a BMW. It’s a better handling SUV/SAV & that’s what I was looking for. In short, no complaints about the ride quality of my selection.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:28 PM   #55
str8line
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, X6, X5, X1, i3, X6M, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by markronnie View Post
After having low profile tires on an ACURA TSX years ago & hitting a large pothole with 30 days of ownership I vowed never to buy that combo again. I ended up cracking a wheel & destroying the tire costing about $1,000 US dollars to replace them.
When I ordered my 2024 x1 28i in Late October 2023 (which I received just before the new year) & reading many complaints about ride quality & lower MPG rating of the larger tires being offered, I ordered mine with the standard 18" x 7.5" wheels (Style 866) & 225/55R18 101U All-Season tires. If I recall there was another 18” wheel I liked more but it was only offered with the “M” version.

Although the X1 ride is stiffer with the standard suspension than my Acura RDX with electronic adaptive suspension, it’s what I expected from a BMW. It’s a better handling SUV/SAV & that’s what I was looking for. In short, no complaints about the ride quality of my selection.
If I get one I'll go 18" same as you and run my tire pressure a little low.
When driven aggressively on smooth winding roads the new X1 is an absolute weapon. Much higher performance/better feel than my current X1 which is decent itself. Reminds me a lot of my X6M in that it blew me away how good it felt at 10/10ths.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 06:55 PM   #56
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

[QUOTE=markronnie;30839207]After having low profile tires on an ACURA TSX years ago & hitting a large pothole with 30 days of ownership I vowed never to buy that combo again. I ended up cracking a wheel & destroying the tire costing about $1,000 US dollars to replace them.

I bought a 2023 with the m trim 18” 838M wheels on continentals and I also don’t find the ride negatively firm… but my daily was a M2
Appreciate 0