BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Seat Presets

04-20-2023, 03:34 PM   #1
RedGaze
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 (SSM on Red)

Seat Presets

Everything had been working perfectly for me with setting and choosing seat presents but for the past couple of days it hasn't been working as it should anymore. I used to be able to get in the car, choose my BMW ID and the seat would adjust to my last known preset. Then when i parked i would press 2 to my egress setting and pressing the button once quickly would set the seat in motion automatically. Now though, upon login in to my BMW ID, the seats don't automatically adjust. The side mirrors do, but the seat won't. To adjust my seat i have to manually hold down button 1 multiple times and the seat shifts towards my setting in small increments at a time. What i mean is that I'll hold 1 and the seat will move and stop shortly after. The. I have to release 1 and press it in again and the seat will again move. I have to do that press/unpress until the seat reaches its saved point. I know about the comfort seat setting to return to position upon user recognitions, that's on, also, i know that there's a safety feature that prevents the seat from adjust with one push but that's when the engine is on and the car is in gear which I haven't been when I'm adjusting my seats. Anyone else experienced this? Thinking of taking it it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:15 AM   #2
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

From time to time mine does exactly the same thing. I have learned to live with it, as I have with all of the other thing in the car which really annoy me, until I get rid of it. Which will be soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:16 AM   #3
04S
Captain
Rep

Without doubt the worst BWM I have owned. And it is my 16th
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:21 AM   #4
RedGaze
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04S View Post
From time to time mine does exactly the same thing. I have learned to live with it, as I have with all of the other thing in the car which really annoy me, until I get rid of it. Which will be soon.
Does it just fix it itself randomly or have you had to take it in? I've tried rebooting iDrive but it hasn't helped. I'm curious to hear what other things have annoyed you about this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:54 AM   #5
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
In my F30, unlike other cars I have owned, the profiles weren't tied to a specific seat memory position. They were tied to the last position the seat was in when the fob tied to that profile was used. So, for example, if you valet park, and the attendant adjusts the seat, when the car is unlocked next time, the seat will stay where the attended adjusted it to; it would not move to saved memory position 1/2.

Not sure if that's what you are experiencing here, or if the X1 works the same way as my F30 did. But it's a possible explanation?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 11:46 AM   #6
RedGaze
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
In my F30, unlike other cars I have owned, the profiles weren't tied to a specific seat memory position. They were tied to the last position the seat was in when the fob tied to that profile was used. So, for example, if you valet park, and the attendant adjusts the seat, when the car is unlocked next time, the seat will stay where the attended adjusted it to; it would not move to saved memory position 1/2.

Not sure if that's what you are experiencing here, or if the X1 works the same way as my F30 did. But it's a possible explanation?
What i had been noticing is that at car start it's automatically on the guest profile. The guest profile works as you mentioned, whatever the seat was last set to is where it stays until you adjust it or or press a preset. But there's a feature in this iDrive where it will save presets for seats and air conditioning, among other things, to a BMW ID so when i drive the car i log onto my ID and the seats adjusts to my preferred first preset. The preset presets also take on my presets and override the guest presets. This has worked great for me because my wife who is less tech savvy stays on the guest profile and that holds her presets and when i drive it i log onto my ID and it loads my presets and automatically adjusts for me. We hate the idea of using two separate keys so this method works for us. But the point is that it had been working well up until about two weeks ago, possibly after an update of some sort?

Regardless of the automatic adjustment, my biggest gripe though is that as a result of all of this the seats won't shift into either preset with one push of the button like it used to. Now I have to manually press the button a couple of times repeatedly because the seat will only move toward my preset in increments and not in one automated motion like it used to. I understand that's a normal function when you're driving so that you don't press a preset by accident and it starts shifting while you're driving, but it's defaulting to this behavior when not driving in my case.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:19 PM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGaze View Post
What i had been noticing is that at car start it's automatically on the guest profile. The guest profile works as you mentioned, whatever the seat was last set to is where it stays until you adjust it or or press a preset. But there's a feature in this iDrive where it will save presets for seats and air conditioning, among other things, to a BMW ID so when i drive the car i log onto my ID and the seats adjusts to my preferred first preset. The preset presets also take on my presets and override the guest presets. This has worked great for me because my wife who is less tech savvy stays on the guest profile and that holds her presets and when i drive it i log onto my ID and it loads my presets and automatically adjusts for me. We hate the idea of using two separate keys so this method works for us. But the point is that it had been working well up until about two weeks ago, possibly after an update of some sort?

Regardless of the automatic adjustment, my biggest gripe though is that as a result of all of this the seats won't shift into either preset with one push of the button like it used to. Now I have to manually press the button a couple of times repeatedly because the seat will only move toward my preset in increments and not in one automated motion like it used to. I understand that's a normal function when you're driving so that you don't press a preset by accident and it starts shifting while you're driving, but it's defaulting to this behavior when not driving in my case.
The car shouldn't be in Guest Profile, if you have made a BMW profile and paired your fob to the profile in iDrive (and your wife also made a BMW profile, and you paired her fob too).

Might I suggest scheduling an "Encore Delivery" with your dealership's Genius? He/she will definitely be able to get your profiles sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 03:38 PM   #8
RedGaze
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
The car shouldn't be in Guest Profile, if you have made a BMW profile and paired your fob to the profile in iDrive (and your wife also made a BMW profile, and you paired her fob too).

Might I suggest scheduling an "Encore Delivery" with your dealership's Genius? He/she will definitely be able to get your profiles sorted out.
Thanks, thats a good suggestion. Truthfully I'm not sure how my mismatch of profile usage would affect the car in the case of the preset buttons not working with one quick push, other than possibly causing the software to become confused and possibly needing to be reinstalled at this point.

I'm hoping its a simple update bug, since when i took delivery of the vehicle it seems that the dealer applied the latest firmwares themselves. I'm leaning toward that conclusion because during my troubleshooting of this seat issue I also noticed that during the initial setup at the dealer, they did not fully connect everything between my phone and my BMW ID. I deleted my ID and logged in again and now I have full Connected Package Professional but when I took delivery of the car the connected package was a purchase-able option under connected drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 12:14 PM   #9
RedGaze
Rep

Quick update, the issue seems to have sorted itself out. Just my luck that it starts working again three days from taking it in to be looked at haha. As to how it fixed itself, of course i have no clue. The only variable is that i had it at the glass tint shop yesterday and i left them the digital card to use as the key instead of the fob. When i picked up the car later, the seats were adjusting smoothly once again and with one push of the button. If it happens again I guess i have to fiddle around with keys to see if it sorta itself out again.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 11:39 AM   #10
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04S View Post
Without doubt the worst BWM I have owned. And it is my 16th
agreed. Having returned after 10 year hiatus, I regret now.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 11:44 AM   #11
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

I keep getting this error message and my memory seats just dont work any more.
Was living with it, but now have a warranty appointment and will address this at the same time.
Unfortunately, this is one of many issues I am facing with this brand new BMW
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 12:22 PM   #12
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

Did you follow the instructions and recalibrate them?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 06:51 PM   #13
04S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saws View Post
I keep getting this error message and my memory seats just dont work any more.
Was living with it, but now have a warranty appointment and will address this at the same time.
Unfortunately, this is one of many issues I am facing with this brand new BMW
I have exactly the same message at the moment. And, it will not recalibrate when I follow the procedure in the manual (which I should add reads like it was written by a 5 year old - it seems incomplete). Going to the dealer tomorrow to try and fix this.

Other current issues to be looked at by BMW:

1. Loud clunking coming from the rear left suspension
2. Driver’s airbag restraint warning - had the airbag replaced 3 months ago to fix this very issue and now the exact same thing is happening again
3. Seat heating offers no heat except on the max setting

This is all aside from the major problems with the iDrive 8 interface. This is a real backwards step from idrive 7
Appreciate 0