BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) pressed engine start/stop button accidentally while the car was still moving at 5mph

05-06-2023, 12:16 AM   #1
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

pressed engine start/stop button accidentally while the car was still moving at 5mph

While I was slowly moving towards a tight parking spot with a light post in front, I wanted to press the parking camera button in order to see the front and avoid hitting the light post.

The car was still doing just under 5mph while I reached over and hit the button. Unfortunately, I hit the engine start/stop button instead of the camera button(which was next to it)

It immediately sent the car into a somewhat violent jolt and then it stopped. The screen showed a warning message that said something about the car automatically shifting into neutral. Not sure of the exact wording of that message because it went away in less than 1 second while the car went into a screeching halt and the engine stopped. The car was just half way into the spot at that point. I restarted the engine and slowly moved forward.

Did my stupid mistake cause some kind of damage?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 03:08 AM   #2
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

I doubt you caused any damage. The rapid sequence of events would most likely be: 1) shift into neutral 2) engine off 3) parking brake applied 4) gearbox shift into park

When you stop the car in a normal situation and then press the engine start/stop button, the above is what happens. I have no idea at what speed threshold it is set to not do what happened to you, and I don't want to find out either!

Related, I did find out by accident that the emergency auto-brake does work too, which also stops the car quite violently - I was reversing into a familiar spot and yes, the reversing beepers were getting more and more desperate in their tone as I approached something that even if I touched it would not damage the car, namely tall, soft grass. Anyway, I continued as this particular parking spot is not very long and I needed to use every bit of space. Next thing I know, the car decides I don't know what I'm doing and slams the brakes on and stops the engine! Even at a crawling speed, it took me by surprise! ��

Last edited by Duncs1961; 05-06-2023 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 04:31 AM   #3
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
Related, I did find out by accident that the emergency auto-brake does work too, which also stops the car quite violently - I was reversing into a familiar spot and yes, the reversing beepers were getting more and more desperate in their tone as I approached something that even if I touched it would not damage the car, namely tall, soft grass. Anyway, I continued as this particular parking spot is not very long and I needed to use every bit of space. Next thing I know, the car decides I don't know what I'm doing and slams the brakes on and stops the engine! Even at a crawling speed, it took me by surprise! 😂
I’ve has the same in the X3, was reversing and was going to bush a long really soft part of a branch from a plant, so I thought that’s fine continued but the car gave a definitive no and slammed on, wasn’t very pleasant.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 10:10 AM   #4
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
I doubt you caused any damage. The rapid sequence of events would most likely be: 1) shift into neutral 2) engine off 3) parking break applied 4) gearbox shift into park

When you stop the car in a normal situation and then press the engine start/stop button, the above is what happens. I have no idea at what speed threshold it is set to not do what happened to you, and I don't want to find out either!

Related, I did find out by accident that the emergency auto-brake does work too, which also stops the car quite violently - I was reversing into a familiar spot and yes, the reversing beepers were getting more and more desperate in their tone as I approached something that even if I touched it would not damage the car, namely tall, soft grass. Anyway, I continued as this particular parking spot is not very long and I needed to use every bit of space. Next thing I know, the car decides I don't know what I'm doing and slams the brakes on and stops the engine! Even at a crawling speed, it took me by surprise! ��
I have a 5-foot tall PVC pipe about 1 foot away from the back wall in my garage. I use it don't hit the wall.

When I pull forward in my X1, the parking sensor or cameras really, really freak out when the PVC pipe is detected. There's a lot of resistance in the brakes. If I let go of the brake and just very slowly move forward, the car applies emergency braking almost violently when the front bumper is about 6 inches from touching that PVC pipe.

speaking of parking sensors, cameras or whatever the X1 uses to automatically find an open parking space and park itself.

This morning, I was stopped at a traffic light. It was a 6-lane road crossing a 4-lane road. I was in the left-turn lane with my left turn signal on. I was the 2nd car waiting to turn and there were probably 6 or 8 cars behind me as well. As soon as the left green arrow came on, I started driving and followed the car ahead of me to perform the left turn.

Right in the center the intersection, I heard a beep and the screen showed me a message saying that it found a parking spot and asked me if I wanted to REVERSE into that spot.(!!!!!)

Obviously it was an error, because I was sure that my town did not start letting people park in the middle of a busy intersection. I ignored the message and continued on my way.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 11:03 AM   #5
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickysFirstBimmer View Post
Right in the center the intersection, I heard a beep and the screen showed me a message saying that it found a parking spot and asked me if I wanted to REVERSE into that spot.(!!!!!)

Obviously it was an error, because I was sure that my town did not start letting people park in the middle of a busy intersection. I ignored the message and continued on my way.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 04:49 PM   #6
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:

in the interest of science, while going through that intersection again about an hour ago, I turned around and performed the same turn at the exact same spot. It did it again!!! The only thing remotely resembles a parking spot is the grassy center medium. The reverse parking message came up as soon as I drove past it during the left turn.

I'll try to bring my gorillapod mount and use my phone to record it when I go there again on Monday after work. (so I have something to show the BMW tech in case this keeps happening)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 12:22 PM   #7
JupiterOne
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickysFirstBimmer View Post
I have a 5-foot tall PVC pipe about 1 foot away from the back wall in my garage. I use it don't hit the wall.

When I pull forward in my X1, the parking sensor or cameras really, really freak out when the PVC pipe is detected. There's a lot of resistance in the brakes. If I let go of the brake and just very slowly move forward, the car applies emergency braking almost violently when the front bumper is about 6 inches from touching that PVC pipe.

speaking of parking sensors, cameras or whatever the X1 uses to automatically find an open parking space and park itself.

This morning, I was stopped at a traffic light. It was a 6-lane road crossing a 4-lane road. I was in the left-turn lane with my left turn signal on. I was the 2nd car waiting to turn and there were probably 6 or 8 cars behind me as well. As soon as the left green arrow came on, I started driving and followed the car ahead of me to perform the left turn.

Same happened to me 3 times for last 2 months. Car stop playing music and start talking / asking if i want to park reversely when I am driving already on a road. Took couple of seconds to understand impossibility and shutting up. A bug.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #8
JupiterOne
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

Quote:

Can confirm same happened to me when I tried to park in tight parking spot in multi-storey parking building. Slamming on the brake was so hard that I thought I hit something and disappointed that I damaged one month old car. I went out to see damage but figured out everything is ok and it was emergency braking.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 01:23 PM   #9
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

What would we do without these safety features?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 07:37 PM   #10
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFDIT View Post
What would we do without these safety features?
I bought a new car with factory navigation system for the first time 24 years ago. That was before even smartphones came on the scene with Apple Maps or Google Maps. I kind of stopped using paper maps since then. Fairly certain that I don't know how to read paper maps anymore.

Parking assistance is one feature that I will try not to use, except in difficult situations. I do not want to come back in 20 years and say "I don't know how to parallel park cars thanks to technology!"
Appreciate 0