BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Want ID9 - how does ID8.5 sound instead? - NOT For existing owners though :-(

04-27-2023, 03:48 AM   #23
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

Yeah agreed re tech, don’t see going back to buttons (apart from isolated cases) is likely. Clearly if the voice recognition tech gets flawless (and the X1 I test drove several times was excellent for this) then why would you need to, and although I said a few years ago I wouldn’t want a computer in my car having used the X1 for a few hours I was mind to think it was a nice solution apart from a few items I had to search hard for such as total MPG. That’s why taking the time when the car arrives to really go through all menus to set it up how you want and know where stuff is would be crucial.

I feel the same re the car driving itself however. I like driving (I don’t have to do it daily so the longish trips I do make tend to be enjoyable) and I don’t want my attention to be taken away from driving. So long as they can be tuned off then i’m good.

Extrapolating on from driver aids, I don’t believe driverless cars will be en masse on our roads for decades at least, too much infrastructure, legislation to happen prior and also I can only really see it working when all cars are like that, not a mix and match. It will be interesting to see
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 07:11 AM   #24
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
Yeah agreed re tech, don’t see going back to buttons (apart from isolated cases) is likely. Clearly if the voice recognition tech gets flawless (and the X1 I test drove several times was excellent for this) then why would you need to, and although I said a few years ago I wouldn’t want a computer in my car having used the X1 for a few hours I was mind to think it was a nice solution apart from a few items I had to search hard for such as total MPG. That’s why taking the time when the car arrives to really go through all menus to set it up how you want and know where stuff is would be crucial.

I feel the same re the car driving itself however. I like driving (I don’t have to do it daily so the longish trips I do make tend to be enjoyable) and I don’t want my attention to be taken away from driving. So long as they can be tuned off then i’m good.

Extrapolating on from driver aids, I don’t believe driverless cars will be en masse on our roads for decades at least, too much infrastructure, legislation to happen prior and also I can only really see it working when all cars are like that, not a mix and match. It will be interesting to see
I think a huge hurdle to overcome with self driving cars is the cars ability to reliably read road markings and signs. Every region/state/country has different markings and standards, and I know at least where I am the road markings in some areas are almost non existent. I agree we’re still pretty far off from that tech being perfected.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 07:47 AM   #25
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I think a huge hurdle to overcome with self driving cars is the cars ability to reliably read road markings and signs. Every region/state/country has different markings and standards, and I know at least where I am the road markings in some areas are almost non existent. I agree we’re still pretty far off from that tech being perfected.
Yep that as well, the car makers have found out that making fully autonomous cars is unbelievably difficult. I honestly am not sure in my lifetime (i’m 50) if we will see them completely taking over the roads. I wonder that in practice if we had a mix of cars being FA and normal human driven cars it would cause chaos in some situations.
If the world was starting from scratch with just FA cars it would be completely different and more likely to succeed.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2023, 08:32 AM   #26
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFDIT View Post
I doubt physical buttons will return, but can see "adjustments" being made to the user interface. As indeed 8.5 and 9 purport to do.

Do you expect to see the return of the iPhone button? Do you envisage phones and tablets being offered with a Mouse?

I think it is an age thing. I'm old, but a techie so I adapt to such change easily. Having said that my preference would be to have minimal functionality in cars as I just love driving. My worst nightmare is the car driving me, deciding when it should brake or change direction!

Do you think this layout was easy to use? And that was when a high tech car meant it didn't leak in the rain, probably.
Don't be daft sir...that's not at all what I'm suggesting. I merely posted an article noting that VW, one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world, if not the largest, have already either started to consider to started to move away from a touchscreen environment that controls every single bit of tech within the vehicle. I think you'll start to see less "tech" in the coming years...accidents will dictate what will happen...

And again, no, I'm not adverse whatsoever to any form of tech, given my background. Adjusting to any new technologies is of zero concern.

'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:43 AM   #27
plehrman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i 2023

FWIW, I have an X1 scheduled for production on 5/15. My dealer just told me it would come with ID8 but would be updated via OTA to ID9.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:42 AM   #28
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrman View Post
FWIW, I have an X1 scheduled for production on 5/15. My dealer just told me it would come with ID8 but would be updated via OTA to ID9.
That sounds wrong as there's only a potential upgrade path from 8.5.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:55 AM   #29
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep

I would suggest it’s safer to follow this…

End of April / May production onwards of petrol or diesel ID9 but not on PHEV which remains ID8/8.5. At least this is the case in the UK, BUT it could well apply to all production.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:56 AM   #30
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
That sounds wrong as there's only a potential upgrade path from 8.5.
CORRECTION: given the production date, that does seem unlikely and the SA isn't fully aware per SRBS73's post

Unless of course his new x1 ships with the new HU requirements...then I suppose it could be OTA or completed at least via the dealership
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 08:32 AM   #31
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Check out this thread from the x3 peeps...lots hate the touchscreens

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2012173
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:39 AM   #32
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Latest view of ID9 below. States in the video that it’s only UK/IE Petrol and Diesel now, will come to the 2 series and the rest of the X1 range and probably markers from November.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 11:59 AM   #33
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Too complicated…
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 12:54 PM   #34
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep

Most people only need a couple of options to use when driving so I don’t see it being an issue tbh. Cars before all this tech didn’t allow for subtle changes to everything so you only needed to change radio, cd functions, turn air con and heated seats on, so if that’s all you still want it’s very easy to use via the tech. The rest can be set up and left once when ypu get the car and as I said before I found the english language voice control worked very well
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:01 PM   #35
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Yeah I think that’s fair, rarely change much underway, I find the ‘hey BMW’ to start directions on my ID7 excellent, rarely have to add directions manually.

But I would miss the quick program buttons, and yes they are on the screen but I can press those without taking my eyes off the wheel. They were a great innovation at the time and personally I hope the removal is temporary.

VW has already admitted they have gone too far removing some physical buttons so are adding them back in future revisions. I don’t want them all back, most can be automated but complete removal isn’t great for safety and speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 05:22 AM   #36
silentpc
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Having read through the various articles and watching the latest 'how to' videos by BMW i have to say idrive 8.5 / 9 is a bit of a disappointment.

The always on maps doesnt really work for everyone and should just be a separate optional layout - kind of how carplay has two modes. For example if you have configured the dash with the map then you dont want the car to boot up with the maps on the infotainment screen as well. you would probably rather it boot into tiles with random info about the weather / car or the radio.

Then the selling point of Idrive 9 is the app store. Theres nothing on the store that wouldn't be available on carplay / andriod auto. I guess it is kind of nice for BMW to bundle what seems like all the apps and data usage in one subscription as opposed to separate ones for each app, but needing connected drive subscription to be able to display 3d buildings in maps..... really?!

The only parts that excites me is the updated AC controls which makes much more sense. the only thing i would add to what they have done is a single and two finger swipe. Single finger swipe as an option to change the temperature in addition to tapping the - + symbols and a two finger swipe in the same spot to quickly change the fan speed.

The other impressive part might be the near instantaneous response from the voice assistant on the new hardware. But then again other than inputting destinations on the fly, the whole voice assistant thing is to me is really just a bandaid solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

I kinda just want idrive 8.1. The tiled layout of idrive 8 with updated AC controls.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 10:45 AM   #37
gpbayarea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback

BMW Genius Response

Below is BMW Genius response I received this morning via email...

Thanks for contacting the BMW Genius Team regarding your new BMW X1. I appreciate your BMW iDrive inquiry.

The new BMW Operating System 8.5 will be introduced incrementally – either in production or via a remote software upgrade in certain vehicles already running Operating System 8 – in the following models beginning in the summer of 2023:
BMW 7 Series
BMW iX
BMW i4
BMW X5
BMW X6
BMW X7
BMW XM
At this time, I do not have further information regarding when this update will be rolled out or additional vehicles that may later be included.

At this time, BMW has not yet officially announced a release of iDrive 9 in the United States market. An initial pilot phase will be offered in the United Kingdom for select BMW X1's, however, from the second quarter of 2023. I encourage you to stay in touch with our latest announcements and offerings through our BMW Group PressClub: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2023, 11:45 AM   #38
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpbayarea View Post
Below is BMW Genius response I received this morning via email...

At this time, BMW has not yet officially announced a release of iDrive 9 in the United States market. An initial pilot phase will be offered in the United Kingdom for select BMW X1's, however, from the second quarter of 2023. I encourage you to stay in touch with our latest announcements and offerings through our BMW Group PressClub: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa.
So, this info from BMWblog is not correct?
https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/05/01/b...ration-videos/

BMW is splitting its infotainment tech into two separate iterations as the X1 and 2 Series Active Tourer will switch to iDrive 9 while the bigger models will transition to iDrive 8.5. The compact models will run on the Operating System 9 based on Android Open Source Project software, but only with freshly built X1s from April and 2 Series Active Tourer minivans from November. Additional small vehicles will get the new OS, with the second-generation X2 being an obvious candidate. The F70 1 Series should follow suit in 2024.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 08:41 AM   #39
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
So, this info from BMWblog is not correct?
https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/05/01/b...ration-videos/

BMW is splitting its infotainment tech into two separate iterations as the X1 and 2 Series Active Tourer will switch to iDrive 9 while the bigger models will transition to iDrive 8.5. The compact models will run on the Operating System 9 based on Android Open Source Project software, but only with freshly built X1s from April and 2 Series Active Tourer minivans from November. Additional small vehicles will get the new OS, with the second-generation X2 being an obvious candidate. The F70 1 Series should follow suit in 2024.
It's not wrong, but it's a bit outdated. I believe it was clarified by BMW or another news outlet that starting in April only certain UK models would be getting the ID9 for the '23 model year. Since it requires new hardware, I imagine that there's numerous reasons for not switching the entire production at once. ID9 so far hasn't been in any customers hands yet that we know of, and this limited release could be somewhat of a test bed to see if any bugs pop up. Not to mention BMW may have contracts with their component suppliers and need to use up existing ID8 hardware that they've agreed to purchase.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
STE92VE218.50