BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) have random strangers been staring at your new X1 and even tried to take pictures?

05-02-2023, 07:31 AM   #1
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

have random strangers been staring at your new X1 and even tried to take pictures?

My new X1 was delivered to me less than 4 days ago. Since I'm not 10 years old anymore, I'm finding the learning curve somewhat steep but I'm taking it slow.

However, the number one thing that I've noticed after 3 days of driving is that random strangers have been staring at my new X1 in the parking lot or at traffic lights.

Some of the things they said to me are: (and my reaction to their comments)

"that's a good-looking color" (glad I'm not the only one who likes silver)

"it looks so BMW" (what's that supposed to mean? )

"my _____ has the same X3 but your updated one looks great!" (my what? X3???)

"you can fit in there? oh, you do. didn't realized it has so much headroom" (such a nice woman who was concerned with my well-being?)

"didn't know we have a BMW dealer here!" (no we don't and I had to drive hours to get to one)

"can I feel your car?" (a 70-year-old woman said that... and she let go of her shopping cart and walked towards me... the the shopping cart started rolling off towards my X1, sending me into a panic rushed to block it. She proceeded to rub the mirror and feel the fender/hood)

I don't really mind, despite the fact that I'm the kind of person who rarely strike up conversations with strangers in parking lots at the mall, grocery store, restaurant and airport.

However, I have been somewhat disturbed when I saw at least three people taking pictures of it. One was just taking pic of the car and the other two were doing selfies. Mind you, I was still sitting in the driver's seat and couldn't open the door to get out because they were blocking the door and taking pics.

I saved the best comment I heard for last. A man and a woman were talking behind the car while I was sitting in the white zone(yes, I know... for loading/unloading only) waiting to pick up my friend at the airport. I heard the man saying "Tiffany, I'm telling you, it's one of them new electric cars. look down there, it's got no tail pipes, and that giant gas door is not for gas, that's where you plug in the big charging cables!" (imagine the man talking in Martin Short's voice) Yes, mine is definitely a gasoline-powered engine with two exhaust tips under the rear of the car.

Last edited by SpaceSilverX1; 05-02-2023 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 07:40 AM   #2
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Only comments on the color but i expect that.

I mean its just a normal BMW which is new ,most of the times they are unaware of the model as our have no badges whatsover ,and the surpise comes when i pass them by slowly as i am on edrive mode 99% in the city.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #3
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

I've had two comments during two months ownership, one positive, one negative:

"Wow, love your Beamer mate!" (before I'm corrected, a lot of UK folk say 'Beamer', not 'Bimmer') - this person took a photo too

"That's not a real BMW; it's a MINI with a BMW badge!" - this person then walked off, laughing at his own comment like he'd said the funniest thing of all time!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 05:14 PM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
"That's not a real BMW; it's a MINI with a BMW badge!" - this person then walked off, laughing at his own comment like he'd said the funniest thing of all time!
Hmm...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
I get people taking photos of/with my X1 frequently, usually tourists or teenagers. It's been mistaken for the "new X3" numerous times, and an X5 a few times. Someone even asked if they could sit in it, but I politely said no.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:06 PM   #6
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Someone even asked if they could sit in it, but I politely said no.
what do you usually say in situations like that? I'm afraid that someday a really hot woman will ask me that and I will be unable to come up with a plausible excuse.

One lady asked me that in the Costco parking lot. I tried to be nice and said no, but I gave her my BMW CA's business card. I told her that she could test drive it there. But later I realized that they didn't have any X1 available for test drives, like most other BMW dealers?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:21 PM   #7
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickysFirstBimmer View Post
what do you usually say in situations like that? I'm afraid that someday a really hot woman will ask me that and I will be unable to come up with a plausible excuse.

One lady asked me that in the Costco parking lot. I tried to be nice and said no, but I gave her my BMW CA's business card. I told her that she could test drive it there. But later I realized that they didn't have any X1 available for test drives, like most other BMW dealers?
I just say sorry but I don’t know you. Buuuut, if she was really attractive I would give her my card and say we could talk about it over drinks 😅

My dealer actually had a white MSport on the lot, and a white X-Line is their demo car.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0