BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) BMW's nav map doesn't have my new 1-year-old house, so how do I set my home address?

05-06-2023, 12:05 AM   #1
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

BMW's nav map doesn't have my new 1-year-old house, so how do I set my home address?

I have already tried to find a solution from BMW Genius and salesman and they had no solution yet... but I want to ask here just in case someone knows how to fix this issue.

My new house was built a year ago. The street is brand new and Google and Apple didn't add it until last November. All house numbers on this street are correctly listed on both map services.

After I received my X1 last week, the first thing that I wanted to do was to add my address as "Home" in BMW's nav map. Unfortunately, BMW's map only have a 500-foot section of the beginning of my street. If I add my house address 1167 xxxxxxxxx Road as my home address, it uses 1000 xxxxxxxxx Road as my home address. It's about 700 feet away from my actual home location.

I thought it would be as easy as parking in my driveway, saving the location as a favorite or marked location, then letting it be my home address in BMW nav map. It doesn't allow that.

Any ideas on how to get around that? Also, how to I submit a report to whoever provides BMW the map data so they can update it? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 12:51 AM   #2
xline
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Unfortunately, I don't have a short-term solutions for your problem (still waiting for my car to be delivered ).

BMW uses HERE maps as a map provider.

1) Check if your street/address has already been added to HERE maps:
https://wego.here.com/

2) If not, then you can add it with HERE's Map Creator:
https://mapcreator.here.com/

It takes a while for HERE to incorporate your changes into the main map. And it takes another while until BMW incorporate the changes into their map. This can even take several years, but by adding the address you make the first step here.

While you are at it, make sure that your street and address is also present in OpenStreetMap, as the data of OpenStreetMap is used by many other services as well:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/

If it's too complicated for you to add the address, feel free to send me a PM with the address and I'll add it for you.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2023, 11:02 AM   #3
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickysFirstBimmer View Post
I have already tried to find a solution from BMW Genius and salesman and they had no solution yet... but I want to ask here just in case someone knows how to fix this issue.

My new house was built a year ago. The street is brand new and Google and Apple didn't add it until last November. All house numbers on this street are correctly listed on both map services.

After I received my X1 last week, the first thing that I wanted to do was to add my address as "Home" in BMW's nav map. Unfortunately, BMW's map only have a 500-foot section of the beginning of my street. If I add my house address 1167 xxxxxxxxx Road as my home address, it uses 1000 xxxxxxxxx Road as my home address. It's about 700 feet away from my actual home location.

I thought it would be as easy as parking in my driveway, saving the location as a favorite or marked location, then letting it be my home address in BMW nav map. It doesn't allow that.

Any ideas on how to get around that? Also, how to I submit a report to whoever provides BMW the map data so they can update it? Thanks!
Well you shouldn't set your home address in the nav anyway. If someone stole your car, they could navigate to your house and use your garage opener and they'd be in your house. I use a nearby Starbucks as "home".
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 11:13 AM   #4
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Well you shouldn't set your home address in the nav anyway. If someone stole your car, they could navigate to your house and use your garage opener and they'd be in your house. I use a nearby Starbucks as "home".
Yeah we do the same, home is a few streets away from where we live and in the rough area for this very reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 05:05 PM   #5
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
but since most people have their home addresses on the car registration cards, can't the thieves find out anyway?

my state used to allow you to use list a PO Box address on car registration and driver's license, but they stopped allowing it about 15 years ago.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2023, 08:57 PM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
but since most people have their home addresses on the car registration cards, can't the thieves find out anyway?

my state used to allow you to use list a PO Box address on car registration and driver's license, but they stopped allowing it about 15 years ago.
True, but then they have to go find your registration instead of just saying "Hey BMW, guide me home".

PLUS, the OP's home address literally isn't available to program. So I assume he knows how to get home from a dummy address a mile away....
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 09:10 PM   #7
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
True, but then they have to go find your registration instead of just saying "Hey BMW, guide me home".

PLUS, the OP's home address literally isn't available to program. So I assume he knows how to get home from a dummy address a mile away....
how does one steal a modern BMW and drive it away in the first place? (except when the key fob is lost or stolen)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 10:20 PM   #8
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Time to buy a new home that BMW recognizes.
Appreciate 1
tex26702424.50
      05-07-2023, 04:10 AM   #9
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
how does one steal a modern BMW and drive it away in the first place? (except when the key fob is lost or stolen)
The car key sends a signal if it’s now sitting still. A member of this forum has had the car stolen from the front of their house as they were getting ready. Another whilst they were shopping with the car close, it’s rare but it happens.

Those use a key relay by the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 08:59 AM   #10
plehrman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
The car key sends a signal if it’s now sitting still. A member of this forum has had the car stolen from the front of their house as they were getting ready. Another whilst they were shopping with the car close, it’s rare but it happens.

Those use a key relay by the way.
Does the relay also steal the BMW ID? Isn't that how the waypoints are stored?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 09:04 AM   #11
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It loads the ID for the key that’s been relayed so would still be there as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 10:43 AM   #12
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I guess stolen cars are a thing of the past. NVM....

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-bmws/3326468/
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 07:39 PM   #13
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I guess stolen cars are a thing of the past. NVM....

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-bmws/3326468/
since I will now only use my phone to unlock and start the car and don't carry the keyfobs, I sure hope that carjackers are keeping up to date with technology and demand the victim's phone. Otherwise, the car can't be started again after the carjacker gets to the police station or something?
Appreciate 0