BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Real World Efficiency

05-09-2023, 05:56 AM   #1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 118i

Real World Efficiency

Hi.

Ordering an X1 xdrive25e. Wondering what to expect in terms of efficiency. We have the manufacturer’s misleading figures but what is it like in the the real world?

The cost of electricity in the UK at public charging stations is so high that fuel is cheaper per mile than electric power.

I am wondering what the mpg is when the battery has no charge left in urban stop/start driving, mixed driving and on a longer motorway journey.

Also wondering what the EV only range is, on average, in mixed driving.

The hybrid driving figure is not so helpful with so many variables and the only real comparison would be based on cost per mile and that is affected by the local cost of electricity and petrol.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:09 AM   #2
tareknet89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Phev

Hi,

I ordered my xdrive25e last month and still waiting for an update. After watching tens of youtube videos, I came into the conclusion that if you don't have a home/work charging point so Phev isn't really worth it as you will be paying much more to operate a heavier vehicle.

In terms of MPG I'd say you'd get different figures according to your driving needs. 56 Miles are enough for me that I wouldn't need fuel at all when moving around where I live. I'd only use fuel when I am travelling which is every few weeks/months. I hope someone can share their figures along with how they drive their cars so we get a clear idea.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:14 AM   #3
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I think the first thing I would say is a 25/30e are NOT cars to charge out and about personally they are almost designed to be home charger or free at work scenarios. The reason being they are slow to charge. It takes 2.5hrs at its quickest to get to the 57mile max range, a true EV can do rapid charging at many times that speed so personally I wouldn't factor in the charge for public charging stations, only at home.

As for real world, a few have posted about it already and it seems pretty good but each persons regular activity and driving is so different they are supper hard to compare. Many do seem to get good 50m+ range from the car though which is good, factoring that into a good MPG view then is a challenge.

I had a colleague who world prep the car at home before he left and would get 100mpg+ even on the old 330e models, so all sorts is possible. Can report more on actuals when we get our 25e in a few weeks.

I'd have a look at this thread for a good indicator How is PHEV Life going?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:56 AM   #4
Tunners
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) 30e M Sport

I have had mine (30e) now for a couple of months and it is mainly used for local trips. I can see as low as 1.8 miles kWh when it is cold and nipping to the local supermarket about 1.5 miles away, on the occasions where I do longer journeys I am seeing around 3-3.5 miles per kWh. When I collected the car from London and drove home to Manchester it did around 58 miles on electric and averaged just short of 50mpg overall.
It all comes down to how it is used ie weather, speed, mileage.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 04:20 PM   #5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 118i

Thanks for the feedback. I was expecting quite a range it’s interesting to know what experiences various people have.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 11:41 PM   #6
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 287 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was expecting quite a range it’s interesting to know what experiences various people have.
I wasn’t expecting the full claimed range but it is doable on certain conditions
1-to be more than 15 degrees outside temp and the car to be in a garage before that so the battery to be warm
2-traffic - city traffic with lots of stop and go - max range is 50/60kms
3-night driving less distance
4-night and rain - even less
5-not much traffic and longer distance is when you can get approx 80+ kms

My biggest range done on edrive was 96kms mixed with 22 degrees outside during a sunny day (no AC).

In general the car is perfect for daily commute and i charge it at home.Highway driving if you have charged the battery more than 50% its almost impossible to drain it as it is recharging (u less u press too much the gas pedal).
So far my longest trip starting at 100% battery and then 800kms - battery was at 65% and i was driving 160-70 kms with quite some accelerations.

That is my average consumption for the 30e
Attached Images

Appreciate 0