BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) letting the parking assistant back out of the garage always lands my X1 on the lawn

05-10-2023, 04:40 PM   #1
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

letting the parking assistant back out of the garage always lands my X1 on the lawn

I'm guessing that parking assistant isn't really meant to help the driver back out of the garage?

However, it offers to back the X1 out of the garage every single time. For the last few days, I've pressed the button and watched in horror as it performs this function.

After I press the button on the screen and let go of the brake pedal, it reverses for about 10 feet and then starts turning right towards my lawn. It then stops at a 45-degree angle with the rear bumper just a few inches before reaching the lawn. It just sits there as if saying "well, I'm out, now you figure out how to back into the street!" I have no choice but to pull forward back into the garage and then back out by myself. The weird thing is that when I pulled into the garage the previous night, I turned left to pull in. Not sure why the car wants to to right when it backs out.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 04:48 PM   #2
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post
I'm guessing that parking assistant isn't really meant to help the driver back out of the garage?

However, it offers to back the X1 out of the garage every single time. For the last few days, I've pressed the button and watched in horror as it performs this function.

After I press the button on the screen and let go of the brake pedal, it reverses for about 10 feet and then starts turning right towards my lawn. It then stops at a 45-degree angle with the rear bumper just a few inches before reaching the lawn. It just sits there as if saying "well, I'm out, now you figure out how to back into the street!" I have no choice but to pull forward back into the garage and then back out by myself. The weird thing is that when I pulled into the garage the previous night, I turned left to pull in. Not sure why the car wants to to right when it backs out.
In my experience the few times I’ve tried using the parking assistant, it’s virtually useless and has never got it right, or backs out so painfully slow that it’s embarrassing. I don’t even want to try using it to parallel park, I’m pretty sure it would curb my wheels for me.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 04:52 PM   #3
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
In my experience the few times I’ve tried using the parking assistant, it’s virtually useless and has never got it right, or backs out so painfully slow that it’s embarrassing. I don’t even want to try using it to parallel park, I’m pretty sure it would curb my wheels for me.

Thanks! I hadn't even considered the possible damage to the wheels. I was planning to try automatic parallel parking next week when I go into the city. Now I won't even bother to try.

The most scary part was that when the car was backing out of the garage, it breaks with full force upon reaching the edge of the concrete driveway and the lawn. There's absolutely nothing in the way, so I'm not sure why it feels the need to apply the break with such violent force.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 04:56 PM   #4
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks! I hadn't even considered the possible damage to the wheels. I was planning to try automatic parallel parking next week when I go into the city. Now I won't even bother to try.

The most scary part was that when the car was backing out of the garage, it breaks with full force upon reaching the edge of the concrete driveway and the lawn. There's absolutely nothing in the way, so I'm not sure why it feels the need to apply the break with such violent force.
Yup, it drives itself like a semi blind 90 year old. The braking is pretty much how it feels when it emergency brakes due to an obstacle (though that comes with some sounds and messages on the dash). Have to back into a tight spot with some tall grass? The car will come to a screeching halt when it detects the grass as an obstacle.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 05:08 PM   #5
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Yup, it drives itself like a semi blind 90 year old. The braking is pretty much how it feels when it emergency brakes due to an obstacle (though that comes with some sounds and messages on the dash). Have to back into a tight spot with some tall grass? The car will come to a screeching halt when it detects the grass as an obstacle.
this can't be limited to just the X1, right? do other current BMWs with parking assistants perform the same way?

also, I've been thinking of signing up for the Driving Assistance Plus 3-month trial and possibly even buying it afterwards. One of the listed features is automatic emergency braking while using cruise control. if it's cruising at 60 or 70mph and a plastic bag flies in front of the car, will that trigger emergency braking and cause a 50-car pile-up behind me? I'm not so sure if I want to find out.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:30 PM   #6
Jmills74
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 20i M Sport Storm Bay

Quote:
I have used the parallel parking assistance at work and it works pretty good and stays a few inches away from the curb. Keep in mind this is a pretty static spot between two shipping containers and I have not tested it out on a busy street.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 07:08 PM   #7
amilcarnj
Rep
Drives: X1

I am afraid to try it becuase I do not want to hit another car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 03:05 AM   #8
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

I really don't understand why a car has the functionality to park itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 03:13 AM   #9
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

These things are all a bit gimicky for most people, you use them to show people how “cool” the tech is and then you realise that under most circumstances it is much easier and quicker to park yourself. Same goes for augmented reality sat nav, when I tried it I thought “that’s so cool”, but then in practice it was less easy to spot complicated junction turns than the std sat nav, it’s also more distracting for some reason. So I don’t pay extra for any of this tech and I turn all the driver aids off. Maybe there will come a day when I need them, but I take driving seriously so I concentrate because once you stop doing so and rely on gizmos then you cease to be as aware…
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2023, 03:21 AM   #10
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
These things are all a bit gimicky for most people, you use them to show people how “cool” thr tech is and then you realise that under most circumstances it is much easier and quicker to park yourself. Same goes for augmented reality sat nav, when I tried I thought “that’s so cool”, but then in practice it was less easy to spot complicated junction turns than the std sat nav, it’s also more distracting for some reason. So I don’t pay extra for any of this tech and I turn all the driver aids off. Maybe there will come a day when I need them, but I take driving seriously so I concentrate because once you stop doing so and rely on gizmos then you cease to be as aware…
Agreed. I pretty much only got the Premium Package for the HUD, Harmon Kardon system, and interior/exterior cameras. The HUD in my opinion is better for safety and I rarely look down at the cluster while driving anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 07:40 AM   #11
Posseidox
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116iA

I have never encountered problems with the Parking Assistant feature of my 1-Series. Although it may be slow occasionally, I allow it to do its job when I need to parallel park in a quiet street. It has never caused my wheels to go onto the curb and I always check the mirrors to make sure it does not get too close.
Appreciate 2
dejy60.00
      05-11-2023, 07:53 AM   #12
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

I used it once to parallel park, and it worked to perfection. I've never tested it with the pavement ending at a grass surface without a curb there.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 08:59 AM   #13
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I used it once to parallel park, and it worked to perfection. I've never tested it with the pavement ending at a grass surface without a curb there.
the scary part was that it was turning the opposite way the my X1 entered the garage the previous night.

just tested it again.... when I came home last night, I turned left into my garage like I always did.(front wheels turning left, the straight once the front enters the garage)

A couple of hours ago, I started the engine and allowed it to reverse out of the garage. Like before, it reversed for several feet, once the front bumper was just out of the garage, it turned sharply to the right with the front wheels turned all the way to the right. Once the rear bumper was just over the lawn/driveway line, it stopped.(again, basically stranding me in the driveway, until I moved forward and reversed out of the driveway) My neighbor came up to me and asked what the heck I was doing. Apparently he had observed me doing this a few times already. I explained what was going on and we both had a laugh. He has a Tesla Model Y that does these things easily. I could tell that he wanted to say "Your new Bimmer is not as smart as my Tesla!"

Something is definitely not right. As I understand it, the parking assistant is supposed to help the driver back out the same way that the X1 goes in... unless it's not supposed to do anything for backing out of the garage(but they why does it offer to back me out every morning?)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 09:28 AM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
the scary part was that it was turning the opposite way the my X1 entered the garage the previous night.

just tested it again.... when I came home last night, I turned left into my garage like I always did.(front wheels turning left, the straight once the front enters the garage)

A couple of hours ago, I started the engine and allowed it to reverse out of the garage. Like before, it reversed for several feet, once the front bumper was just out of the garage, it turned sharply to the right with the front wheels turned all the way to the right. Once the rear bumper was just over the lawn/driveway line, it stopped.(again, basically stranding me in the driveway, until I moved forward and reversed out of the driveway) My neighbor came up to me and asked what the heck I was doing. Apparently he had observed me doing this a few times already. I explained what was going on and we both had a laugh. He has a Tesla Model Y that does these things easily. I could tell that he wanted to say "Your new Bimmer is not as smart as my Tesla!"

Something is definitely not right. As I understand it, the parking assistant is supposed to help the driver back out the same way that the X1 goes in... unless it's not supposed to do anything for backing out of the garage(but they why does it offer to back me out every morning?)
Isn't there a little diagram in the IP that pops up that shows you which way it's going to back out??
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 10:05 AM   #15
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Isn't there a little diagram in the IP that pops up that shows you which way it's going to back out??
will check that again tomorrow. whenever it does anything automatic, I'm too nervous to pay any attention to what the screen is showing. I simply look out the window or at the mirrors, ready to stump on the brake pedal.

that reminds me to order my dashcam asap... I've been putting it off for a while because I can't decide to get something fancier than what I have in my previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #16
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

I don’t have an X1 but on the X3, Parking Assistant is what you’d use to parallel park or do a right-angle reverse park into a regular spot. Sure sounds like that’s what yours is trying to do. It’s Backup Assistant that remembers the last 50 metres or so of your forward travel and reverses you along that path. I think that’s what you’d want, if you’re trying to back out of your garage and into the street. On ID7 I have to put it in reverse and then check the box on the display for Backup Assistant — maybe it’s similar with ID8?
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2023, 04:22 PM   #17
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
yes, sounds like he's using the reversing out (leaving a spot) and selecting which way he wants to exit. There should be an option to select reverse assistant, so it backs out the way you came into the spot, when you put the car into reverse gear--check the iDrive screen upper right.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2023, 05:57 PM   #18
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
I don’t have an X1 but on the X3, Parking Assistant is what you’d use to parallel park or do a right-angle reverse park into a regular spot. Sure sounds like that’s what yours is trying to do. It’s Backup Assistant that remembers the last 50 metres or so of your forward travel and reverses you along that path. I think that’s what you’d want, if you’re trying to back out of your garage and into the street. On ID7 I have to put it in reverse and then check the box on the display for Backup Assistant — maybe it’s similar with ID8?
I'll try to take a video tomorrow morning. However, the best way I can describe it right now is using the diagram below. The "problem" can be replicated every single morning.

the yellow rectangle is my X1. The arrow indicates the front of the car.

When I go home, I turn left and drive into the garage.(the yellow line)

The next morning, when I let the X1 back out by itself, it reverses following that light yellow line and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. The car then abruptly applies the brakes at full force. This results in the car at a 45-degree angle like that.(with the rear edge of the rear bumper up against the line between the driveway and the lawn)

After that, my only option is to drive forward and straighten the car, then back out normally by myself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 06:44 PM   #19
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll try to take a video tomorrow morning. However, the best way I can describe it right now is using the diagram below. The "problem" can be replicated every single morning.

the yellow rectangle is my X1. The arrow indicates the front of the car.

When I go home, I turn left and drive into the garage.(the yellow line)

The next morning, when I let the X1 back out by itself, it reverses following that light yellow line and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. The car then abruptly applies the brakes at full force. This results in the car at a 45-degree angle like that.(with the rear edge of the rear bumper up against the line between the driveway and the lawn)

After that, my only option is to drive forward and straighten the car, then back out normally by myself.
back up assistant isn't going to work for that distance. it works for a normal sized parking spot.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 07:37 PM   #20
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Quote:
I get it, but I still think it believes you're asking it to reverse out of a parking spot as if you're in a parking lot and not in your driveway, so it's coming out of the garage, starting to turn so you'll be oriented to drive away down the aisle in the parking lot, and then because you're in your driveway and not a parking lot, it runs out of room and stops. It would probably work if your driveway was wider!

Like you said in the original post, it's not designed to back you out of your garage in a straight line, or take you all the way down to the street. You could do that with Backup Assistant. If you enable it as you drive in, it'll remember your path (up to 50 m or around 160') as you drive forward, and the next morning you can use it to do the steering (you still control the brake and throttle) and it'll retrace your exact recorded path in reverse.
Appreciate 2