BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) What will you change/add in your X1

03-17-2023, 12:51 PM   #23
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Agree ... but the heated wheel button should be on the wheel IMO
Makes sense. I never even thought about putting the heated steering wheel button on the wheel itself. My current car has the heated steering wheel button on the center console next to the buttons for the heated and ventilated seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 05:33 PM   #24
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Had my X1 for two weeks and so far, I love the car, it’s fantastic, but that said, we can all nit-pick, can't we? Here’s my gripes:
  • I hate that BMW saved costs by not bothering to re-hand the armrest controls and armrest lid for UK spec. cars. In other words, the lid on my armrest opens in favour of the passenger, not the driver and the drive selector is on the passenger side, not the driver's side

• A full-size USB socket would have been nice for a memory stick – I bought a converter, but it doesn’t look as neat

• A physical button located in the armrest controls to quickly disable engine start-stop would be nice

• I wish driver settings remember the last mode I drove in (usually ‘sport’) instead of always reverting to personal mode

• There are only four free short cut ‘buttons’ (the software equivalent of the eight physical buttons that ID7 has)

• I don’t like the hesitation when setting off from junctions and when it does set off, it can jerk a bit – this is why I like ‘Sport mode’ as the engine stays running and setting off is far smoother

• I upgraded to Harmen Karmon audio and whilst I am very pleased with the sound quality, I am disappointed there is not graphic equaliser, just a bass and treble slider

• The cup holders do not have springs in them, so cups or cans smaller than the diameter of the holes rattle around

• A USB power connector above the rear-view mirror would have been nice for powering a dashcam

• It’s a shame they didn’t hide the rear wiper under the roof spoiler - my previous BMW, an Active Tourer, had this feature and it looked very neat

• A silly decision made by whoever came up with the extras and packages – I ordered heated seats as a standalone option, which is great, but I also wanted the heated steering wheel too, but the only way to get that was to pay for a £1,200 package that it was part of – I didn’t want the other options in that package. Why on earth is the heated steering wheel not bundled with the heated seats – it seems obvious to me that if you want heated seats, you are almost certainly going to want a heated steering wheel too!

• A bit more customisation on the instrument display would be nice – all the other makes of car I test drove (Audi, Kia, Hyundai, Skoda) had far more choice here. I also find items like the fuel gauge a little too small

• I don’t like the one large central demist vent for the windscreen – the screen does not demist evenly because of it. My previous Active Tourer was bad for this too
That’s it for now! I may add to the list!
Appreciate 3
wgspck2.50
Mechta17.50
dejy60.00
      03-18-2023, 12:14 AM   #25
dejy
Private
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2023 X1 U11  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
  • A full-size USB socket would have been nice for a memory stick – I bought a converter, but it doesn’t look as neat

• A silly decision made by whoever came up with the extras and packages – I ordered heated seats as a standalone option, which is great, but I also wanted the heated steering wheel too, but the only way to get that was to pay for a £1,200 package that it was part of – I didn’t want the other options in that package. Why on earth is the heated steering wheel not bundled with the heated seats – it seems obvious to me that if you want heated seats, you are almost certainly going to want a heated steering wheel too!

Hey Dunc1961, you make very good points for the X1 changes but for the ones I've quoted it has some workarounds that may be of benefit to you that I've listed below.

You can purchase new USB C memory sticks/flash drives and won't need an adaptor, USB C is the newest USB form and is supposed to be a replacement for the old full size USB ports.

All X1's come with heated front seats and steering wheel but it's not activated unless you purchased it when you ordered the vehicle or if you subscribe to it later via the BMW Connected Store. You should be able to get a lifetime subscription for the heated steering wheel without ordering that extra's package you mentioned via the BMW Connected Store after you received you car and linked it to MyBMW app.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 12:38 AM   #26
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejy View Post
Hey Dunc1961, you make very good points for the X1 changes but for the ones I've quoted it has some workarounds that may be of benefit to you that I've listed below.

You can purchase new USB C memory sticks/flash drives and won't need an adaptor, USB C is the newest USB form and is supposed to be a replacement for the old full size USB ports.

All X1's come with heated front seats and steering wheel but it's not activated unless you purchased it when you ordered the vehicle or if you subscribe to it later via the BMW Connected Store. You should be able to get a lifetime subscription for the heated steering wheel without ordering that extra's package you mentioned via the BMW Connected Store after you received you car and linked it to MyBMW app.
Mine unfortunately does not have the option to add the heated seats/wheel after purchase for whatever reason. All I can buy is traffic camera and remote start.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 02:49 AM   #27
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I actually had a USB type C memory stick about a year ago and it snapped! - they are not as robust as the original USB 'plugs'. The one I have for my music is 16GB, and is incredibly small, so it doesn't stick out much when plugged in. I bought a short cable-based converter, so the stick is folded down and out of the way, so it doesn't look bad, I'm just nit-picking!

Regarding options, no, heated seats and steering wheel are definitely not available on subscription on UK spec. models. I had to choose heated seats as an option when placing the order. Same for the heated steering wheel, but that is only available as part of an expensive package which I didn't want.

I have checked on the Connected Store (one of the first things I did!) and there are only two items I can subscribe to or buy outright: 1) traffic camera alert and 2) auto dipping headlights.

It would seem to me that the options and packages (and even trim levels) vary depending on geographic location.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 02:53 AM   #28
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
Mine unfortunately does not have the option to add the heated seats/wheel after purchase for whatever reason. All I can buy is traffic camera and remote start.
Yeah, I have checked on the Connected Store (one of the first things I did!) and the only two items I can subscribe to or buy outright are: 1) traffic camera alert and 2) auto dipping headlights. I was expecting there to be a lot more options.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 03:45 AM   #29
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:

It would seem to me that the options and packages (and even trim levels) vary depending on geographic location.
It also depends on build date, what the plant was serving for lunch that day, and whether or not they walked in to work with their left foot or right foot first apparently. Others in my region have gotten the "Digital Art" tile on their modes menu after an update, yet mine still doesn't have it (not that I really want it). Still very happy with the vehicle, but their options and omissions are puzzling.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 03:49 AM   #30
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

Quote:
I have checked on the Connected Store (one of the first things I did!) and there are only two items I can subscribe to or buy outright: 1) traffic camera alert and 2) auto dipping headlights.
How much is the Traffic Camera Alert Subscription?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 04:44 AM   #31
blazeforth23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Yeah, I have checked on the Connected Store (one of the first things I did!) and the only two items I can subscribe to or buy outright are: 1) traffic camera alert and 2) auto dipping headlights. I was expecting there to be a lot more options.
Don't UK models have option to purchase Driving Assistant Plus as well?
I was told by dealer that blind spot monitoring, speed limit, automatic braking comes under Driving assistant plus and will only have 3 months trial when we first get the vehicle. After then you have to subscribe or purchase unlimited from BMW store.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 09:38 AM   #32
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFDIT View Post
How much is the Traffic Camera Alert Subscription?
There's either a one month free trial or it's £25 per year. There is no option to buy it for the life of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 09:40 AM   #33
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeforth23 View Post
I was told by dealer that blind spot monitoring, speed limit, automatic braking comes under Driving assistant plus and will only have 3 months trial when we first get the vehicle. After then you have to subscribe or purchase unlimited from BMW store.
Maybe the options we get in the UK are dependant on the trim level - mine is the Sport model, so maybe that's why my choices are limited.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 10:50 AM   #34
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

Quote:
There's either a one month free trial or it's £25 per year. There is no option to buy it for the life of the car.
I always run the free TomTom AmiGo app on my phone without a destination set. Speed camera location notification is excellent even the Mobile camera location is pretty much spot on.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 03:04 PM   #35
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeforth23 View Post
Speed limit is standard and auto braking is standard but the cruise controller with brake etc. is in the assistance plus. Not easy to work out though I admit, oh for a normal brochure.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2023, 08:30 PM   #36
dejy
Private
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2023 X1 U11  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Regarding options, no, heated seats and steering wheel are definitely not available on subscription on UK spec. models. I had to choose heated seats as an option when placing the order. Same for the heated steering wheel, but that is only available as part of an expensive package which I didn't want.

Oh that's unfortunate, I believe all AU (Australian) models are supposed to have the heated seats and steering wheel and you just subscribe to it in the BMW store and I wasn't aware that BMW sold the vehicle in other markets without that option.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 01:17 PM   #37
DFW1980
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 still at Bremerhaven port

Quote:
Oh that's unfortunate, I believe all AU (Australian) models are supposed to have the heated seats and steering wheel and you just subscribe to it in the BMW store and I wasn't aware that BMW sold the vehicle in other markets without that option.
I was told the same thing by my BMW dealer. It is not possible to subscribe to seat and steering wheel heater via subscription, at least not in North America. In fact, they said the seats shipped to Canada/US are not even equipped with heating elements. However, they based this on the fact that the part numbers are different when the parts manager looked it up. Guess I'll have to the seating surface up to see if this is true when my X1 arrives.

I had a VW Golf cabriolet a long time ago. I bought a heated seat kit and installed it. Took only 30 minutes to tuck the heating elements under the seating surface. The hard part was wiring it and installing a switch on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 04:27 PM   #38
jihong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Quote:
Had my X1 for two weeks and so far, I love the car, it’s fantastic, but that said, we can all nit-pick, can't we? Here’s my gripes:
[*]The cup holders do not have springs in them, so cups or cans smaller than the diameter of the holes rattle around

[/LIST]That’s it for now! I may add to the list!
My cup holders have springs. Unless you're saying the springs aren't large enough where small cups will still slide around, but I haven't found any cups/cans that are so small that the springs don't hold them!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 04:28 PM   #39
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihong View Post
My cup holders have springs. Unless you're saying the springs aren't large enough where small cups will still slide around, but I haven't found any cups/cans that are so small that the springs don't hold them!
The US market gets spring loaded cupholders, some other markets don't.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 05:27 PM   #40
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihong View Post
No, mine has no springs at all (UK spec.)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 05:53 PM   #41
DFW1980
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 still at Bremerhaven port

Quote:
The US market gets spring loaded cupholders, some other markets don't.
Do you guys in the US get spring loaded cupholders in the rear armrest as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 10:36 PM   #42
sgyX3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, BMW 320xi

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [0.00]
2023 BMW x1  [10.00]
2020 BMW x3M40i  [0.00]
Nitpicking I am extremely satisfied with the new x1. I got it to replace my wife’s 320xi 320 was too low and wanted something higher to get in and out of and something with more room for the grand babies.
  • Hard buttons for climate control
  • Put the IDrive controller back
  • A real center console, what is under the cover is useless. And you can’t leave anything of value in the open space
  • Put the heated steering wheel control on the steering wheel
  • Hard button to disable auto start/stop
  • Hide rear wiper under the spoiler
  • Leather seating options, while the sensatec is comfortable it is difficult to move around on. Also add adjustable thigh support.

My wife and I are very satisfied with the drivability of the new x1. It has adequate power and decent handling. The mileage exceeds expectations on a recent trip of 145 miles we got 41.2 mpg (we use 93 octane Shell fuel) which is astounding for an IC vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 02:01 AM   #43
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgyX3 View Post
[*]A real center console, what is under the cover is useless. And you can’t leave anything of value in the open space
I agree with your other points but the quoted point is a huge pet peeve of mine. I can't even put my cell phone or my small dashcam in the console because they don't fit. Whoever designed that is just bad at their jobs. The glove compartment is at such a bad angle it makes it so there's no storage in that SUV, it's downright silly.

I found another really annoying badly designed item; You can't lift the wipers 90 degrees. That's useful during an ice/snow storm and you need to get under them. You can lift them up 4-6 inches but then they hit the hood and won't go any higher. I guess I could *try* to stop them mid-swipe but that's just silly. Who comes up with this stuff?

This is the kind of stuff that I didn't consider enough during our quick test drive. I still like the SUV a lot but all these little annoyances have taken a bit of the shine off of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 02:17 AM   #44
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags2Rags View Post
I agree with your other points but the quoted point is a huge pet peeve of mine. I can't even put my cell phone or my small dashcam in the console because they don't fit. Whoever designed that is just bad at their jobs. The glove compartment is at such a bad angle it makes it so there's no storage in that SUV, it's downright silly.

I found another really annoying badly designed item; You can't lift the wipers 90 degrees. That's useful during an ice/snow storm and you need to get under them. You can lift them up 4-6 inches but then they hit the hood and won't go any higher. I guess I could *try* to stop them mid-swipe but that's just silly. Who comes up with this stuff?

This is the kind of stuff that I didn't consider enough during our quick test drive. I still like the SUV a lot but all these little annoyances have taken a bit of the shine off of it.
Discovered the problem with the wipers yesterday when I hand washed my car! The rear wiper cannot be hinged away from the glass at all!

And I must admit, after owning my X1 for four weeks now, the centre console design is really starting to irritate me now - a classic case of form over function - useless space below the flip up lid (and a lid they couldn't be bothered to hinge on the correct side for right hand drive cars); a useless, on-show, hard-to-access space below the floating armrest and cup holders without springs to grip items!
Appreciate 0