BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) X1 DCT and FWD based X Drive

04-29-2024, 03:12 PM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

X1 DCT and FWD based X Drive

Hi,

I’ve been on the fence for a few years about the x1. I routinely drive my wife’s x5 and probably should be buying an x3 m40i.

But I really love the style of the x1. I’m almost at the point of waiting for the new x3. Would an x1 be a huge change going to a fwd based awd?

I also didn’t love the dct on three drives. But a car purchase is more than just a transmission. Anyone in that camp that still thinks the x1 would work for someone like me who probably needs the x3?

Part of the indecision is sort of being in denial of the path BMW is going down on design and the id8. But at some point if you want to stay with the brand you have to adopt. Maybe I could learn to like the screens and DCt. Im just at a crossroads and by not picking a car. And driving a really old third car that was never meant to be a daily driver.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 03:55 PM   #2
JAYtheVET
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 X23d MSport

Garage List
The screens take some getting used to but they're fine overall. It's not the iDrive but they're better than I thought they would be. The DCT is different in Germany than in the other models so I can't really speak to that - this is my first Automatic and my first Diesel...in 25 years of owning cars.

One thing I will say...If you have to think about something this long you don't want it and won't be happy in the end.

I bought the X1 because it was the best in class, the new M2 is ugly, and the Audi Q3 needs a serious design change. If I had 90k to spend on the X3 I would have bought that instead.

Food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 04:17 PM   #3
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

We have an M40 X3 and a PHEV X1 and they both drive like a BMW. The steering is a little too light at parking speeds in the X1 but it is very accurate. The PHEV also makes the car a joy to drive with zero drivetrain issues.

Never feel the car being FWD either as the motor is on the rear axle so it’s only when you boot it the engine kicks in its AWD. I will say with the PHEV even an M40 feels sluggish for throttle once you have driven an EV. Ultimate speed is still there in the X3 but the around town driving in the PHEV is great.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2024, 05:20 PM   #4
coffejor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 M35i; 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
I’ve been on the fence for a few years about the x1. I routinely drive my wife’s x5 and probably should be buying an x3 m40i.
Every time I drive my wife's '22 m40i I regret getting the m35i. The DCT seems SO laggy (even in sport mode) compared to the immediate torque for the mild hybrid system of the m40i. Additionally, the m40i generally feels like a better vehicle - everything about it seems more intentionally built, can't point to any one thing in particular.

This isn't even touching on the constant issues I've had with iDrive 9 (just last week CarPlay stopped outputting audio (even after multiple unpairing/pairings and a system reset), then SiriusXM started giving a "Sat Hardware Error", at times I can't clear the information message no matter how many times I hit "ok", the system completely locking up every time I hit the "assistant" button, and I get Driver Assistance camera malfunctions notices every time I drive. These issues are on top of the navigation system not talking as well as the previous transmissions errors, assisted driving malfunctions, lane change assistance malfunctions, and the previous CarPlay issues). Or the rear wheel bearing that is making horrendous noise at 75 MPH).

Every day I regret buying my m35i. However, everyone's experiences, perceptions, and preferences are different.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 06:00 PM   #5
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
If you’re in the US, definitely wait for the new X3 before making any decisions. If you don’t like the transmission on the X1, you’ll probably never like it. While I like my X1, it seems the new X3 will have many of the styling cues of the X1, but will not have many of the shortcomings.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
donnus20.50
      04-30-2024, 06:22 AM   #6
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

The new X3 will be the better car and so it should be because like for like it will be a good deal more expensive. If you want a smaller car that’s beautifully styled inside and out then the X1 is brilliant (I have had no troubles with id9 for 10 of the 11 months I have owned it). I love mine and the pluses far outweigh the minuses for me, but these forums will always be mostly filled with people who have issues and want somewhere to report it and bond with fellow sufferers. However a full test drive of modern cars is essential to understand if you get along with their version of modern computer led technology and things like gearboxes and ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:53 AM   #7
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
The new X3 will be the better car and so it should be because like for like it will be a good deal more expensive. If you want a smaller car that’s beautifully styled inside and out then the X1 is brilliant (I have had no troubles with id9 for 10 of the 11 months I have owned it). I love mine and the pluses far outweigh the minuses for me, but these forums will always be mostly filled with people who have issues and want somewhere to report it and bond with fellow sufferers. However a full test drive of modern cars is essential to understand if you get along with their version of modern computer led technology and things like gearboxes and ride quality.
The drive for me was nice but it felt less luxurious than it appears in photos. X3 is way more updates but feels more solid on test drives.

The big plus on the x3 is the inline 6 for me. If you go x3 it almost makes sense to take advantage of the better engine option.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:54 AM   #8
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The 6t is supposed to have the plug in option as standard. I imagine it will be so much heavier than the outgoing m40i
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:55 AM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffejor View Post
Every time I drive my wife's '22 m40i I regret getting the m35i. The DCT seems SO laggy (even in sport mode) compared to the immediate torque for the mild hybrid system of the m40i. Additionally, the m40i generally feels like a better vehicle - everything about it seems more intentionally built, can't point to any one thing in particular.

This isn't even touching on the constant issues I've had with iDrive 9 (just last week CarPlay stopped outputting audio (even after multiple unpairing/pairings and a system reset), then SiriusXM started giving a "Sat Hardware Error", at times I can't clear the information message no matter how many times I hit "ok", the system completely locking up every time I hit the "assistant" button, and I get Driver Assistance camera malfunctions notices every time I drive. These issues are on top of the navigation system not talking as well as the previous transmissions errors, assisted driving malfunctions, lane change assistance malfunctions, and the previous CarPlay issues). Or the rear wheel bearing that is making horrendous noise at 75 MPH).

Every day I regret buying my m35i. However, everyone's experiences, perceptions, and preferences are different.
I feel like I would too- and I know this from the test drive- it just doesn’t feel engaging to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 07:59 AM   #10
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

Yes it’s a given the X3 is better, it’s 10k more expensive so it would be mad if the X1 was on a par.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 08:58 AM   #11
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes it’s a given the X3 is better, it’s 10k more expensive so it would be mad if the X1 was on a par.
I agree. For where you start at 40,000- the x1 is a great package.

But those base wheels with hubcaps- BMW- you can do better!
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 11:29 AM   #12
Puffinrock
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 30e MSport

IMO Go for your gut instinct - your messages all seem to suggest you want the x3. I have the new X1 30e and it's great - totally different from my old large diesel suv but that was the point!. Performance wise you can get X1 and X3 very similar but they will be very different in ride height.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 12:23 PM   #13
spmcewen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I own the X1 28i. I did a BMW ultimate driving experience last week and drove several SUVs back to back: X2 M35i, X5 M50i, X7 M60i.

I chose the SUVs to drive because the line to try the set of cars that had the m240i was way too long and I wasn't interested in the Z4 or 7 series.

I learned that the X2 M35i doesn't feel like a big enough step up over the 28i to justify the cost for me personally. There was a tremendous amount of fake engine noise pumped in, that was quite obvious. I couldn't figure out of the turbo whine was fake as well. But performance wise with as spirited as I could get on small streets, it was not a huge difference.

The X5 M50i felt great but the weight of the car really takes away from the 500 whatever HP the v8 outputs. The X7 M60i felt like driving a boat.

The thing they all had in common was that they all felt precise and accurate like a BMW. Even the throttle response in the X5 in sport mode wasn't as immediate and I would have expected. I came away really appreciating how great my X1 28i is. It does not feel like a cheap nor neutered car in any way to me.

I also drove a 540i and an i5 on the autocross course and that was a ton of fun. I had an instructor take me for a lap in the 540i and it was the most violent ride in a car I've ever experienced. If anyone has a chance to do that I highly recommend it. Being in a car with a professional driving instructor having the car on the limit is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 12:29 PM   #14
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcewen View Post
I own the X1 28i. I did a BMW ultimate driving experience last week and drove several SUVs back to back: X2 M35i, X5 M50i, X7 M60i.

I chose the SUVs to drive because the line to try the set of cars that had the m240i was way too long and I wasn't interested in the Z4 or 7 series.

I learned that the X2 M35i doesn't feel like a big enough step up over the 28i to justify the cost for me personally. There was a tremendous amount of fake engine noise pumped in, that was quite obvious. I couldn't figure out of the turbo whine was fake as well. But performance wise with as spirited as I could get on small streets, it was not a huge difference.

The X5 M50i felt great. The X7 M60i felt like driving a boat.

The thing they all had in common was that they all felt precise and accurate like a BMW. Even the throttle response in the X5 in sport mode wasn't as immediate and I would have expected. I came away really appreciating how great my X1 28i is. It does not feel like a cheap nor neutered car in any way to me.

I also drove a 540i and an i5 on the autocross course and that was a ton of fun. I had an instructor take me for a lap in the 540i and it was the most violent ride in a car I've ever experienced. If anyone has a chance to do that I highly recommend it. Being in a car with a professional driving instructor having the car on the limit is amazing.
Those events are great. How was the 540? Previous 540i xdrive guy myself. I’ve driven most of the lineup- for me the IX might be the best driving suv they have at the moment. The 50i felt like a perfect balance.

A 95,000 IX leases out close to a 60,0000 x3. I was reading 10-13 percent off msrp and lease credits. Yet here they are selling more x1 and x3 leases because people want them over the IX.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 02:13 PM   #15
spmcewen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Those events are great. How was the 540? Previous 540i xdrive guy myself. I’ve driven most of the lineup- for me the IX might be the best driving suv they have at the moment. The 50i felt like a perfect balance.

A 95,000 IX leases out close to a 60,0000 x3. I was reading 10-13 percent off msrp and lease credits. Yet here they are selling more x1 and x3 leases because people want them over the IX.
It's hard to get a good feel with such few laps, I really wish they let you take a couple more but understand they have to let everyone get their turns in. I felt like I was just starting to learn the course and then it as over. The i5 definitely felt heavier and my laps did not feel as good with it. I liked the sedan though, I had not drove one in quite a few years now. A 3 series will likely be my next car when our other one needs to be replaced or gets handed down to my kid.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 02:54 PM   #16
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcewen View Post
It's hard to get a good feel with such few laps, I really wish they let you take a couple more but understand they have to let everyone get their turns in. I felt like I was just starting to learn the course and then it as over. The i5 definitely felt heavier and my laps did not feel as good with it. I liked the sedan though, I had not drove one in quite a few years now. A 3 series will likely be my next car when our other one needs to be replaced or gets handed down to my kid.
The m340 Xdrive is prettt flawless. Unless you need the space of a 5er- I think a 3 or x3 is smarter. For just about every reason.

My wife wanted an x7 but we did the x5 and now we realize it’s enough for two kids.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:35 PM   #17
Lantirn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E87 conv, F20, Inbound U11

Of course the X3 is the better car. There is no question. But they are also different cars.

Point is that you can have a fully loaded X1 (even the PHEV one) and still you will not reach the price of a very basic X3.

I was on the same dilemma: Buying a new X1 PHEV fully loaded with all bells versus a slightly used '23 X3. I decided on the X1 mainly due to size, they dont really compare. Its totally different cars. X3 is significantly bigger and taller. One is perfect for the city and the other is most for open roads imho. Also I wanted a factory new car and went for the 25e
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 04:30 PM   #18
Zayken
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: IX1 30e / f40 118i

Quote:
Hi,

But I really love the style of the x1. I’m almost at the point of waiting for the new x3. Would an x1 be a huge change going to a fwd based awd?

I also didn’t love the dct on three drives. But a car purchase is more than just a transmission. Anyone in that camp that still thinks the x1 would work for someone like me who probably needs the x3?

Part of the indecision is sort of being in denial of the path BMW is going down on design and the id8. But at some point if you want to stay with the brand you have to adopt. Maybe I could learn to like the screens and DCt. Im just at a crossroads and by not picking a car. And driving a really old third car that was never meant to be a daily driver.
Yes it absolutely will be a very noticable change.

Wait for the new X3 !

When my lease ends I will also move to neue klasse ix3.

Even the electric "awd" X1 behaves like FWB
Appreciate 1
abirmaher843.50
      04-30-2024, 08:54 PM   #19
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 U11

I'm getting 38 mpg now that the snow tires are off. It's not 1990 anymore. I understand the draw to driving fast but there are MUCH bigger issues and costs with driving fast cars. And I'm not talking about money

At 250hp the X1 is plenty fast. But driving fast isn't it's strong suit. It's a great well rounded vehicle that leaps and bounds better than it's competition.
Ours prices out similar to a Subaru OB turbo. There's no contest. The X1 is super tight with a very rigid body. It wasn't money that made the decision it's a great all round package for living and active life. But it's not super plush, or a race car. It's fun to drive, has a very nice interior, it's quiet and gets good fuel economy for a good sized ice vehicle.

Recent Past drives are X5 diesel, macam, 1st gen x1.

Last edited by DestinationMoon!; 04-30-2024 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 09:26 AM   #20
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 3.0e u11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
We have an M40 X3 and a PHEV X1 and they both drive like a BMW.
Never feel the car being FWD either as the motor is on the rear axle so it’s only when you boot it the engine kicks in its AWD. I will say with the PHEV even an M40 feels sluggish for throttle once you have driven an EV. Ultimate speed is still there in the X3 but the around town driving in the PHEV is great.
Phev 30e here. Never felt I was driving a FWD. While I try to maximise electric use (Rwd), even when you run on ICE it doesn't feel as a FWD.

Watch the actual behaviour of the car in the driving footage here, from minute 21, or better, from minute 25, when he adress the RWD behaviour under ICE: "as an authentic BMW":

https://youtu.be/s424WzP1ijI?si=VGik0gfIkQUR3vzO

Spanish-speaking and long....but you can watch it with English captions at 2x
      Today, 10:05 AM   #21
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Get the X3. My wife’s 2018 X3 30i feels quite a bit better put together, more premium than my M35i. The DCT is a let down and the front biased AWD system torque steers quite a bit. I’d I could do it all again I’d have waited for the upcoming X3 M50. A B58, 8 speed auto and rear biased AWD would make the X1 and amazing package. But sadly it falls short of the driving experience I would have loved.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a good car but it falls short of expectations in a way that I don’t believe the new X3 will.
Appreciate 0