BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) ID9 - Feedback / Updates / Bugs

02-08-2024, 09:17 PM   #309
rlynn92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i,X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseham View Post
More issues with id9!! Not sure if anyone else has had these:-

Spotify is stuck at loading. The only way I’ve found to “fix” it is to uninstall/reinstall the app and then go through the login procedure using my phone. Trouble is, I now have to do this EVERY TIME I get into the car.

Comfort Access randomly doesn’t work. When I walk away from the car, it doesn’t lock and fold the mirrors in. Other times it will unlock when I approach the car but not unfold the wing mirrors.

Voice assistant seems to be getting worse. Commands that work originally no longer do so.

I’m going to contact my dealer as the car needs the latest “dealer only” update, but how long do we accept such substandard software in our cars.

Couple the above with the shockingly bad clutch/gearbox combination and I am in the verge of returning the car and looking at something else. I love my BMWs (this is my 5th) but this car is a shocker!!
I had similar Spotify issues and I did a full factory reset and that fixed the issue. It sucks to set it up again but seemed to perform better.

I have a call with BMW North America tomorrow. I’ll bring this up
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 10:36 PM   #310
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Update: Car has been at service since Tuesday for the headunit replacement, was replaced, service dept called today to ask what my phone model is, and my log in for mybmw app.

Doesn't sound like the headunit replacement solved the issue either.

This is starting to blatantly point to software fixes, which each update doesn't seem to solve, not entirely sure what is next at this point.

Have a follow up call with Master Tech and Service Manager tomorrow to discuss next steps.
Appreciate 2
PatL28.50
      02-12-2024, 08:47 PM   #311
accjerry78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW x1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettDB View Post
I manage the tech division for an automotive research group, and met with BMW software engineers at CES. Very insightful and productive meeting.
Any chance you received any intel on when this update will be available? This issue is absolutely ruining my experience with my new M35i.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:54 AM   #312
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey all,

so got a call from service this am, they are replacing the TCU unit, supposedly will be ready before EOD but with the snow here, probably take delivery tomorrow.

my guess is that the new TCU will not solve the issue either, this seems like its software caused than hardware, but we'll see.

will update when i have one.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 11:54 PM   #313
mktrn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 (U11)

Picked up January build 28i with iDrive 9 this week. Had some occasional CarPlay/music drop outs, but not too bad.

Dealer said they are aware of the CarPlay issues and that a software update should be pushed out soon that will address it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 08:16 AM   #314
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Finally got my car back from getting the update to 11/2023.58

So far I do see more apps and in the connected store I see the drive recorder though I cannot find it in the actual apps. I think I read here somewhere others have had the same issue and it eventually just showed up. Is that true?

We’ll see over the next few days if it fixes some of the other complaints that I had with the previous version.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 08:46 AM   #315
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
Hey all,

so got a call from service this am, they are replacing the TCU unit, supposedly will be ready before EOD but with the snow here, probably take delivery tomorrow.

my guess is that the new TCU will not solve the issue either, this seems like its software caused than hardware, but we'll see.

will update when i have one.
now they're saying the GPS antenna needs to be replaced, by spring I may have a fully re-built-new car
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:52 AM   #316
julioccuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6 40i Skyscraper Grey

Browse songs/playlists U11 X1 2024

Hi All,

I wonder where the side toolbar available on my wide screen X6 (iD 8.5) with the browse controls, playlists is on the smaller X1 screen with iD9.

I can play songs from my phone but I don't seem to be able to browse my playlists and songs from within the BMW music app from the central screen like I can on my X6 both streaming music from my Apple Music on iOS.

Any tips please?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:49 AM   #317
BarrettDB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
How did the conversation go?

- Do you realise that you have release a beta version of software into a critical safety environment and it goes wrong all the time?
- How do you feel when a software release goes into a car and bricks it to the extent it's got to go to a dealer for weeks.
- Do you do any visibility / disabled testing vs buttons for the older generations or do you just go for and help as it improves profits and you don't care about the rest?
- and many more...

I'm being tongue in cheek but this is a very poor UI and update to what should be a fab car and BMW is to be frank poor in this area at the moment. Yes some rivals aren't better but that still isn't good enough I'm afraid.
Truly frustrating… I wouldn’t say my conversation was productive from the standpoint of the example questions you posed above. However, it was very clear these engineers and others are acutely aware that various people are having disappointing experiences. I imagine what makes this all the worse are the combination of variables in the real world (types of phone, OS being used and version, types of cables, if any, etc). I know two people with X1s built about two months apart, one has zero problems and the other is a textbook case of bugs without solutions. Worse, the car without problems was built before the one with issues.

I just spent five days with a 28i loaner while one of my bimmers was in for service, and had zero issues. My iPhone 15 paired immediately. Apple CarPlay was flawless. No issues. The loaner I was in was built in the summer of 2023.

I guess the bottom line is that as solutions are found, BMW is honoring complaints and replacing hardware and/or updating software. Whether you can live with it as fixes are searched for is a personal decision…
Appreciate 1
MontyB11421.00
      02-20-2024, 04:07 AM   #318
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Yeah it does seem to be that later ID9 or component changes underneath maybe are causing a few more wobbles than other cars.

We have a summer 23 car and its so far touch wood been pretty darn good and none of the drop outs or issues others have seen or battery problems or similar. Is it as intuitive as it could, NO its not and they really should work better at 10-15 must do easily activates but they have set a direction with little thought on that front.

Maybe like other manufactures they will reverse direction in future generations, can but hope.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 05:08 AM   #319
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX1 XDrive30 MSport

When I first received my IX1, Idrive 9 seemed fine it worked as expected, was pretty responsive and I had very few issues with it.

In the last week or 2

It takes ages to wake up when I walk up to the car, it generally doesn't unlock now before I get to it, i have to stand next to the drivers door for a few seconds before it unlocks

It's become VERY slow on first start up - like up to a minute or 2 before it's loaded properly

It frequently loses my settings (especially if I set off before it's loaded properly)

The digital key on my phone became disconnected somehow.

The door mirrors don't auto fold (presuming this is because it forgets my personal settings)

The drivers door is the only one that unlocks (again think this is linked to it not remembering my settings until the system wakes up properly

Carplay menu switches sides sometimes

I've not noticed any software updates happening and can't see anywhere that it logs when these happen. It does say there aren't any available so presume I'm on the latest version but something has definitely gone wrong in the last 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 05:48 AM   #320
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

I've noticed the same thing about waking up. If it is dark out, my cars lights come on as I approach and the doors unlock just before I reach the car as I would expect. However, in daylight, I have to go up to the car and wait a second or two before the doors unlock. Very odd.

Other annoying issue is the dropping of Android Auto. Interestingly, it doesn't drop the phone (can still make and receive calls) only Android Auto (very annoying when listening to Spotify). I thought the trigger was when the signal dropped from 5G to 4G but I am not so sure that is now right (very difficult to check at the time it happens). Am going to try a wired connection and see if that makes a difference although in another thread, a poster said that the USB slots wouldn't connect in this way for Android Auto and that it only connects wirelessly. I'll report back if I have any success.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:05 AM   #321
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX1 XDrive30 MSport

Forgot to add, it now won't allow me to link a key to my profile either, just gives me an error

Also when it boots up the "Car Seats" application appears very briefly then vanishes again from the menu, wonder if the seats have the ability to do massage but it's just not available as an option to enable at the minute.

Idrive 9 seems very buggy at the minute...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 07:35 PM   #322
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Had my car in to the dealer today as a result of a Drivetrain error received a few weeks ago after a remote start. Seems like they found over a dozen faults and upgraded ID9 to 11/2023.58

First impressions are:
  • bootup seems to be faster
  • Spotify is working again thru connected drive
  • Harmon Kardon light now illuminates on the speaker grills (didn't before no matter what settings I tried)
Attached Images

Last edited by COOLGREANY; 02-20-2024 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
RNorb242.00
      02-21-2024, 03:38 PM   #323
Shx5000
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11/iDrive9)

My ID9 X1 went back to the dealer this week to try and look into the missing Drive Recorder. They phoned to say they raised it with BMW and they heard back it is a known issue with some cars and my car is now added to the list of affected cars on a ticket with BMW back in Germany. There’s no fix yet and no ETA on a fix but it is being worked on. Here’s hoping they figure it out soon. 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:20 AM   #324
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shx5000 View Post
My ID9 X1 went back to the dealer this week to try and look into the missing Drive Recorder. They phoned to say they raised it with BMW and they heard back it is a known issue with some cars and my car is now added to the list of affected cars on a ticket with BMW back in Germany. There’s no fix yet and no ETA on a fix but it is being worked on. Here’s hoping they figure it out soon. 👍
There clearly is a fix as mine works OK so keep pressuring them. Mine was delivered January 2024 if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 10:25 AM   #325
Shx5000
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11/iDrive9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John27 View Post
There clearly is a fix as mine works OK so keep pressuring them. Mine was delivered January 2024 if that helps.
They called this morning to say BMW Germany provided a fix overnight/this morning and they got it working. Just got it back and Drive Recorder is now functioning, running on 11/2023.30. At last!
Appreciate 1
abirmaher843.50
      02-27-2024, 12:59 PM   #326
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Hi all,

Like many of you, i had quite a bit of frustration with ID9, and still have some but a few weeks ago I took the car in for a software update which finally has helped relieve (at least so far), many of my largest frustrations with ID9.

My car is now on 11/2023.58 (installed at dealer, not OTA)

Since this update:
-iDrive seems to be loading and ready to use much faster when first getting in the car
-Calls are no longer dropping with Carplay, which used to happen almost every time I received or placed a call before
-Audio is no longer cutting out every couple of minutes for a few seconds via Carplay
-Drive recorder finally showed up and is working (service was showing as active via the connected drive store when I picked up my car from the update, but the actual app didn't show up for about 5 days)

I am still hopeful that we will gain some coding abilities in the future to hopefully bypass the annoying warnings that pop up when you first start the car or first enable the Active Driving Assistance, disable start stop from defaulting to being on, and maybe even starting in sport mode. I have been told it is unlikely by a buddy who does coding with how connected these cars are, OTA updates, etc... but I am hopeful that eventually someone will find a way.
Appreciate 3
      02-27-2024, 05:32 PM   #327
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Hi all,

Like many of you, i had quite a bit of frustration with ID9, and still have some but a few weeks ago I took the car in for a software update which finally has helped relieve (at least so far), many of my largest frustrations with ID9.

Since this update:
-iDrive seems to be loading and ready to use much faster when first getting in the car
-Calls are no longer dropping with Carplay, which used to happen almost every time I received or placed a call before
-Audio is no longer cutting out every couple of minutes for a few seconds via Carplay
-Drive recorder finally showed up and is working (service was showing as active via the connected drive store when I picked up my car from the update, but the actual app didn't show up for about 5 days)

I am still hopeful that we will gain some coding abilities in the future to hopefully bypass the annoying warnings that pop up when you first start the car or first enable the Active Driving Assistance, disable start stop from defaulting to being on, and maybe even starting in sport mode. I have been told it is unlikely by a buddy who does coding with how connected these cars are, OTA updates, etc... but I am hopeful that eventually someone will find a way.
BMW has eliminated any ability to code the X5. Probably the same for the X1
Appreciate 1
abirmaher843.50
      02-27-2024, 06:03 PM   #328
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNorb View Post
BMW has eliminated any ability to code the X5. Probably the same for the X1
That’s what I hear… just sucks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 07:56 PM   #329
greengob
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Hi all,

Since this update:

Do you have to point out specific issues for the dealer to do the install or will they update if you just ask for it?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:16 PM   #330
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengob View Post
Do you have to point out specific issues for the dealer to do the install or will they update if you just ask for it?
In my case I had a drivetrain error message whn doing a remote start and brought it in to the dealer to check. They found multiple DME errors and ended up updating the ID9 software to the same version as in abirmaher's case.

I noticed a similar improvement in the ID9 bootup and it also fixed a Spotify issue and HK speaker illumination.

If you're not having any problems then it may be best to leave well alone.