BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 2024 X1 M35i - Issues (Help)

01-21-2024, 03:15 PM   #1
Brazukinha
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

2024 X1 M35i - Issues (Help)

Hi everyone, I have a list of issues and found posts here and there with similar problems. I bought my car in November '23, and initially noticed there was no drive recorder, thus, no anti theft recorder. My salesman brushed it off, saying it was a new car, with new technology and the anti theft was through the dashcam. 🙄 I also mentioned that it kept disconnecting Android Auto... To which they brushed it off saying the car was acting "normal".

Two wks later, went in because of the drivetrain error, and told them to check the anti theft and the fact it kept disconnecting. They then updated to idrive (11/2023), had the augmented reality working (was no where to be seen before), and was able to install the drive recorder. However, they told me that the drivetrain error was do to low temperatures 🙄, and that everything was ok with the car. Oh, before I forget the car apparently does not have hotspot/esim, despite clearly saying WiFi.

Almost a month ago went back because of the drivetrain error, and the car has been there since. Apparently the car does have a problem and they had to order a new vanos actuators. Funny enough, my phone does not drop from the loaner (430i), nor thus the system freezes.

I called BMW and they told me they haven't heard of this issue. That the dealer needs to raise the flag, and what they can do is get me a reimbursement for the time I stayed without my car.

Question to you, is there a lemon law? What have some of you done?

Oh, and does your X1 have hotspot? I'll prob won't use it, but it should at least function.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 03:32 PM   #2
RNorb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 M60i, 2024 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazukinha View Post
Hi everyone, I have a list of issues and found posts here and there with similar problems. I bought my car in November '23, and initially noticed there was no drive recorder, thus, no anti theft recorder. My salesman brushed it off, saying it was a new car, with new technology and the anti theft was through the dashcam. 🙄 I also mentioned that it kept disconnecting Android Auto... To which they brushed it off saying the car was acting "normal".

Two wks later, went in because of the drivetrain error, and told them to check the anti theft and the fact it kept disconnecting. They then updated to idrive (11/2023), had the augmented reality working (was no where to be seen before), and was able to install the drive recorder. However, they told me that the drivetrain error was do to low temperatures 🙄, and that everything was ok with the car. Oh, before I forget the car apparently does not have hotspot/esim, despite clearly saying WiFi.

Almost a month ago went back because of the drivetrain error, and the car has been there since. Apparently the car does have a problem and they had to order a new vanos actuators. Funny enough, my phone does not drop from the loaner (430i), nor thus the system freezes.

I called BMW and they told me they haven't heard of this issue. That the dealer needs to raise the flag, and what they can do is get me a reimbursement for the time I stayed without my car.

Oh, and does your X1 have hotspot? I'll prob won't use it, but it should at least function.
The 5g esim is a $300 option. The car may have WiFi without any connection to the internet. Lemon laws vary depending on which state you are in.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 04:20 PM   #3
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sorry to hear all of this. I have had all of the same issue but I only see the drivetrain error when I remote start the car.

If i turn it off and back on it goes away.

When are you seeing the drivetrain error? Any issues as a biproduct? Or just an error?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 05:32 PM   #4
Brazukinha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Sorry to hear all of this. I have had all of the same issue but I only see the drivetrain error when I remote start the car.

If i turn it off and back on it goes away.

When are you seeing the drivetrain error? Any issues as a biproduct? Or just an error?
The drivetrain error has happened in different instances. While I drive after some time, and it has also happened like you said after remote starting. This is so frustrating, that so many people have these issues and they act like they never heard of.
Appreciate 1
abirmaher843.50
      01-21-2024, 05:57 PM   #5
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:

Here’s the thread on lemons
https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2074543
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2024, 06:29 AM   #6
08-335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08-335xi sedan

Quote:

I did not have the drivetrain error on our X1 M35, but had the other issues. Ours was due to receive a new head unit, which has been on back order for about a month so far. I didn’t go the lemon law route, but the dealer is working with us to replace the vehicle at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 09:29 AM   #7
Brazukinha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-335xi View Post
I did not have the drivetrain error on our X1 M35, but had the other issues. Ours was due to receive a new head unit, which has been on back order for about a month so far. I didn’t go the lemon law route, but the dealer is working with us to replace the vehicle at this point.
Where are you located? In the US? Going to speak with them, this whole thing is so frustrating. Not sure what steps they'll take, and it feels like the fact I'm insisting that there's an issue, and they "can't" find it... Sometimes it feels like they look at me as if I was crazy
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:29 AM   #8
08-335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Where are you located? In the US? Going to speak with them, this whole thing is so frustrating. Not sure what steps they'll take, and it feels like the fact I'm insisting that there's an issue, and they "can't" find it... Sometimes it feels like they look at me as if I was crazy
Yes, I am in the US. I had to push a little on the CarPlay issue. The first response from the dealership was that they could not duplicate the CarOlay issue. I told them that I would take them for a ride to duplicate it because the vehicle disconnected from CarPlay every time we were on a call. They asked if the shop foreman could drive it home as they originally had limited time during first inspection. I reluctantly agreed, but they duplicated the drops that night. They tired software updates and also confirmed AA was not working consistently. The next step from BMW tech service was a head unit replacement. It’s hard to know for sure if this is a hardware issue or software issue, but my prior 4 BMWs and all the service loaners have had the last few years have minimal issues with CarPlay.
One interim workaround that used was just using Bluetooth (not CarPlay) for the phone and streaming. Doing this and using BMW’s navigation worked without the constant dropping. The problem is that the interface and the functionality of doing this is not the same interface compared than using CarPlay apps.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 08:09 AM   #9
justridebike
Rep
Drives: X1 M35i

Quote:
Yes, I am in the US. I had to push a little on the CarPlay issue. The first response from the dealership was that they could not duplicate the CarOlay issue. I told them that I would take them for a ride to duplicate it because the vehicle disconnected from CarPlay every time we were on a call. They asked if the shop foreman could drive it home as they originally had limited time during first inspection. I reluctantly agreed, but they duplicated the drops that night. They tired software updates and also confirmed AA was not working consistently. The next step from BMW tech service was a head unit replacement. It’s hard to know for sure if this is a hardware issue or software issue, but my prior 4 BMWs and all the service loaners have had the last few years have minimal issues with CarPlay.
One interim workaround that used was just using Bluetooth (not CarPlay) for the phone and streaming. Doing this and using BMW’s navigation worked without the constant dropping. The problem is that the interface and the functionality of doing this is not the same interface compared than using CarPlay apps.
I've gone the BMW maps route with Spotify app on Connected Drive. I've gotten used to it and prefer it now honestly. It's a bummer not having a car fully functioning (with Carplay) as intended but if you really like the car I'd consider just trying the BMW interface. Its really not bad. You can pull up locations on your phone in Google Maps or Apple Maps and just share them to your BMW app and can send them easily to your car.

As for the other issues, I'm totally in agreement that ID9 is laggy/buggy and a total POS at the moment. I'm just rolling with it on the assumption it'll take them awhile to sort out all the bugs and making due.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 09:11 AM   #10
Brazukinha
Rep

Quote:
That was the same response I got from my service manager yesterday. That last time I complained they brought in a BMW engineer, who attested the car is working as it should. To which I said, by as it should you mean a faulty system?

Apparently, I'm getting my car back on Friday after they fully test the drivetrain. Told him I was going to record the issues, and will prob be back on Friday with the proof they need.

I get that we have the BMW Bluetooth, and native navigation... But AA/Car Play is so much nicer and smoother. Aside from that, I bought a new car and it should be 100% working. I love my car, but the way they're dealing with this, just brushing it off, is pissing me off.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 11:04 AM   #11
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That was the same response I got from my service manager yesterday. That last time I complained they brought in a BMW engineer, who attested the car is working as it should. To which I said, by as it should you mean a faulty system?

Apparently, I'm getting my car back on Friday after they fully test the drivetrain. Told him I was going to record the issues, and will prob be back on Friday with the proof they need.

I get that we have the BMW Bluetooth, and native navigation... But AA/Car Play is so much nicer and smoother. Aside from that, I bought a new car and it should be 100% working. I love my car, but the way they're dealing with this, just brushing it off, is pissing me off.
keep us posted on what movement you get on this.

a bunch of us M35i owners are seeing similar issues across various states.

I have had 2 drivetrain faults, VANOS solenoids replaced, a battery replaced, a new head unit on order.

They havent been able to replicate the transmission getting stuck in gears yet, so i may have to get crafty with a gopro.

Re: Lemon law, i haven't really moved the needle here, waiting to see if the dealership is willing to work this out first, then will have to pursue the LL route if not.

not sure where you're located but for example, in NJ:

"Send a letter to the manufacturer (not
the dealer) by certified mail, return receipt requested,
stating that you may have a claim and are giving the
manufacturer one last chance to repair the defect. The
letter may be sent after two repair attempts for the same
defect have failed to fix the problem, or after the vehicle
has been out of service for a total of 20 days (45 days for
a motor home). For serious safety defect, the letter can be
sent after a single repair attempt. The manufacturer has
10 days from the date on the certified mail return receipt
to repair the vehicle.
Your “last chance” letter must be mailed to the
manufacturer’s regional office. Contact the Division’s
Lemon Law Unit to get that address. "

Best of luck, keep us posted on any updates.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 12:49 PM   #12
Brazukinha
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
keep us posted on what movement you get on this.

a bunch of us M35i owners are seeing similar issues across various states.

I have had 2 drivetrain faults, VANOS solenoids replaced, a battery replaced, a new head unit on order.

They havent been able to replicate the transmission getting stuck in gears yet, so i may have to get crafty with a gopro.

Re: Lemon law, i haven't really moved the needle here, waiting to see if the dealership is willing to work this out first, then will have to pursue the LL route if not.

not sure where you're located but for example, in NJ:

"Send a letter to the manufacturer (not
the dealer) by certified mail, return receipt requested,
stating that you may have a claim and are giving the
manufacturer one last chance to repair the defect. The
letter may be sent after two repair attempts for the same
defect have failed to fix the problem, or after the vehicle
has been out of service for a total of 20 days (45 days for
a motor home). For serious safety defect, the letter can be
sent after a single repair attempt. The manufacturer has
10 days from the date on the certified mail return receipt
to repair the vehicle.
Your “last chance” letter must be mailed to the
manufacturer’s regional office. Contact the Division’s
Lemon Law Unit to get that address. "

Best of luck, keep us posted on any updates.
Thank you for the info! I'm in Jersey, got mine at BMW Bridgewater. Let's see how I get the car on Friday... Great that you mentioned the gear getting stuck, I experienced that as well. Mentioned to them, and apparently it might be related to the drivetrain. They said the vanos should arrive today. Hoping it gets fixed, because getting another car with the same issues doesn't seem like it'll fix the problem.

I hate that it's so many of us with the same issues on the same model and Corp is acting like they never heard anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:30 AM   #13
08-335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justridebike View Post
I've gone the BMW maps route with Spotify app on Connected Drive. I've gotten used to it and prefer it now honestly. It's a bummer not having a car fully functioning (with Carplay) as intended but if you really like the car I'd consider just trying the BMW interface. Its really not bad. You can pull up locations on your phone in Google Maps or Apple Maps and just share them to your BMW app and can send them easily to your car.

As for the other issues, I'm totally in agreement that ID9 is laggy/buggy and a total POS at the moment. I'm just rolling with it on the assumption it'll take them awhile to sort out all the bugs and making due.
Agree on all accounts. My issue is that this was my wife’s vehicle and her use is for a sales job that requires her to be on the phone constantly and using navigation all the time. She is not overly tech savvy, but knows how to use CarPlay with Waze, Google maps and switching between calls. We also had an issue with periodic extended lag from ASS also that made her not feel safe driving the car. As a result the X1 is getting replaced. It’s a shame because she loved the way the M35 looked and drove otherwise. These issues were dealbreakers for her on a brand new vehicle. Thankfully the dealer is being favorable to work with to get this resolved.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 08:26 PM   #14
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the info! I'm in Jersey, got mine at BMW Bridgewater. Let's see how I get the car on Friday... Great that you mentioned the gear getting stuck, I experienced that as well. Mentioned to them, and apparently it might be related to the drivetrain. They said the vanos should arrive today. Hoping it gets fixed, because getting another car with the same issues doesn't seem like it'll fix the problem.

I hate that it's so many of us with the same issues on the same model and Corp is acting like they never heard anything.
Please do share the findings on the gear getting stuck, haven't been able to replicate it because im not really driving a lot these days, and my dealers service center is pretty cool about taking input.

I had what sounds like the same issue re: VANOS, but that did not solve the issue with the high rev in low gears.

Unless the car is supposed to be at 3500-4000rpm in 2nd/3rd gear going 30-35mph when you let off the accelerator, something doesn't seem right.

It's ONLY only local driving, and it always happens around these conditions.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2024, 01:00 PM   #15
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

I had a drivetrain error on my 23x1. It would seem to be stuck between gears while I was on the freeway and lose power. The car was in the shop for over 60 days and they tried to "fix" it 3 times. They eventually replaced the entire transmission. The second time, I reached out to BMW NA for a manufacturer buyback and they rejected my case. The moment it was in the shop for the 3rd time, I reopened it and it was approved. In my state they you have 3 options when you evoke lemon law: 1. Get your money back minus mileage, 2. Get your money & possibly a little bit of settlement cash, and 3. Replacement vehicle.

After speaking with a few lawyers, I was told that it's better to be dealt with internally if the manufacturer was cooperating (which bmw was.)
And apparently with the three options, between the refund or replacement it's up to the manufacturer if they will collateral swap and more likely than not they will choose to refund you. The possible extra cash option will probably only be achieved with a lawyer on your team. (It's important to note that lemon law lawyers will likely not take your case if you already have an offered solution from the manufacturer --this is what I was told by a few of the lawyers I spoke to)

They offered a buyback with no replacement. In my case they wouldn't collateral swap. But I did get in contact with my local dealer and the GM heavily discounted the vehicle I ordered to keep my costs the same. (Was able to upgrade and add all the new features that wasn't out when I ordered my 23 all for basically the same cost of the first vehicle which I was able to get a pretty good discount on as well) they threw in some heavily discounted extended maintenance packages as well and got me out of my "lemon" as soon as the new one was delivered. So I highly recommend you working with your local dealer as they will be your biggest support if you end up being in a situation like mine! The dealer also offered to "bridge the gap of time" with a loaner if my car was surrendered before the new car arrived.

From my first drivetrain error to getting getting out of my car took almost 10 months. From the horror stories I've seen of other car brands I felt like bmw handled it well!

Good luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 01:56 PM   #16
Brazukinha
Rep

Quote:
Please do share the findings on the gear getting stuck, haven't been able to replicate it because im not really driving a lot these days, and my dealers service center is pretty cool about taking input.

I had what sounds like the same issue re: VANOS, but that did not solve the issue with the high rev in low gears.

Unless the car is supposed to be at 3500-4000rpm in 2nd/3rd gear going 30-35mph when you let off the accelerator, something doesn't seem right.

It's ONLY only local driving, and it always happens around these conditions.
Well, as it turns out they'll replace my car. I should be getting it in May. In the meantime, I'm driving the loaner. I spoke with BMW corp back in Jan and they said any time I was without my car, they'd refund me. Now I have to see if this is really what they'll do.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 05:48 PM   #17
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
spoke with BMW corp back in Jan and they said any time I was without my car, they'd refund me. Now I have to see if this is really what they'll do.
Hi,

Do you mind elaborating this a bit?

What do you mean by any time you are without your car they would refund you?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2024, 09:08 PM   #18
Brazukinha
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Do you mind elaborating this a bit?

What do you mean by any time you are without your car they would refund you?

Thanks
I called them, and essentially I'm making monthly payments on a car that I'm not using. A defective car, so they told me they'd refund me for all the days the car were at the dealer getting "fixed". But now that they ordered me a new car, I have to see with them if I continue to make payments or not. My car is at the dealer since the 1st WK of January.
Appreciate 1
richiro270.00
      02-22-2024, 02:32 AM   #19
Zee
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i GC + U11 X1 M35i

Quote:
I called them, and essentially I'm making monthly payments on a car that I'm not using. A defective car, so they told me they'd refund me for all the days the car were at the dealer getting "fixed". But now that they ordered me a new car, I have to see with them if I continue to make payments or not. My car is at the dealer since the 1st WK of January.
Not sure how it works with BMW US but here in the UK in short my brakes failed (3 times on my 2023 23d) - they attempted to 'fix it' twice and on the third I pushed for a rejection of vehicle. They ordered me a new car (2024 m35i) which took 3 months.
I was in a loan car for about 6 months from first failure until my new one arrived (2nd week of Feb) and I only got 2 months of payments back followed by 3 months of non-payment until my replacement came.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 10:03 AM   #20
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Had a brief phone call with someone from BMW customer advocacy.

They are aware of my concerns and have already started a dialogue with my dealership in what my options are for replacing or re-making.

Need to figure out what to do about the $ invested into ppf, ceramic coat and tint.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2024, 10:15 AM   #21
Brazukinha
Rep

Quote:
Had a brief phone call with someone from BMW customer advocacy.

They are aware of my concerns and have already started a dialogue with my dealership in what my options are for replacing or re-making.

Need to figure out what to do about the $ invested into ppf, ceramic coat and tint.
I'm sure that now, whatever you ask, you'll get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 11:01 AM   #22
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
"noticed there was no drive recorder, thus, no anti theft recorder. My salesman brushed it off, saying it was a new car, with new technology and the anti theft was through the dashcam."
In the UK, eSIM / Personal SIM wasn't an option for the early 2023 cars. We definitely have the anti-theft alarm and it's using the eSIM for the general remote connectivity.

It's bit like a cheap Tesla sentry mode. You can get internal photos / external surround view and sometimes external video at what must be 1 frame per second.
Appreciate 1