BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Auto stop/ Start?

02-19-2023, 09:17 AM   #1
cwilsong
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 230i

Auto stop/ Start?

So I’ve seen on a couple of on line reviews that the auto stop/ start can only be turned off in a submenu on the main display, as opposed to my 230i where a simply push of a button right above the stop/ start turns it off ( much simpler).

So, my question is once it is turned off does it stay off ( this is how my current car works).

OR, do I have to disable it every time I start the car ( probably a deal breaker as I really loathe this option)?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 09:34 AM   #2
50ShadesOfGrey
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Sadly, my understanding is you have to turn it off each time the engine is turned on…unless you’re in sport mode…or L if you have that ability. Someone please correct me if I,m wrong.

On a related note, I am wondering whether the dang stop-start can be more easily turned off by creating a shortcut to do that? Someone in another thread mentioned that possibility….

If so, how would this shortcut be created? I,ve only had my x1 for a very few days and haven’t figured everything out yet (far from it)

I also hate this feature!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 09:45 AM   #3
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
every time you start the car, it will reset.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 10:17 AM   #4
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On order X1 M-Sport 23i

I've always hated the Stop/Start function, but I have to admit on my current XC40 it works perfectly, absolutely seamless. I found it to be similar in the X1 23i on my test drives.
What is your main objection to it may I ask?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 10:39 AM   #5
50ShadesOfGrey
Private
Rep

It causes hesitation when you take off from a stoplight. Sometimes you need a quicker response to get out of someone’s way!

The time it takes for the engine to start could be the difference between being rear ended or not
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 11:00 AM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFDIT View Post
I've always hated the Stop/Start function, but I have to admit on my current XC40 it works perfectly, absolutely seamless. I found it to be similar in the X1 23i on my test drives.
What is your main objection to it may I ask?
I find the restart function much less noticeable than in my old 3-Series, but the main problem I have with the X1 is that it's too aggressive--it sometimes shuts down before I come to a full stop, like when I'm pulling into my garage or a parking spot. And since I use the auto brake hold, it just becomes a bit more pronounced.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 11:03 AM   #7
50ShadesOfGrey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I find the restart function much less noticeable than in my old 3-Series, but the main problem I have with the X1 is that it's too aggressive--it sometimes shuts down before I come to a full stop, like when I'm pulling into my garage or a parking spot. And since I use the auto brake hold, it just becomes a bit more pronounced.

Yes, that too
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 11:11 AM   #8
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep

Fair enough. I'll probably turn if off when the car is finally delivered. Regrettably the Chinese or the Swedish won't let you disable it on the Volvo.

Last edited by JFDIT; 02-19-2023 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 01:20 PM   #9
PlasticEngine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Alpinweiss

who here will happily pay a subscription fee of $5/month or $300/lifetime to BMW if this engine idle auto stop/start feature can be turn off forever?

(don't say that it's bad for the environment... if I cared about the environment that much, I would buy a hybrid, PHEV or full EV)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 01:28 PM   #10
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep

Not many more years in the UK to buy an ICE. Forced to buy EV from 2030. Thank goodness I live in the free world!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 01:38 PM   #11
PlasticEngine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not many more years in the UK to buy an ICE. Forced to buy EV from 2030. Thank goodness I live in the free world!
are you saying that you're moving to another country? even in Europe or the US(California and 1/3 of the states), it will only buy you 5 extra years, until 2035.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 01:49 PM   #12
JFDIT
Private First Class
Rep

No, just being ironic.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 03:18 PM   #13
blazeforth23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Dealers and manufactures will find a different way to sell ICE vehicles. You can register a vehicle under someone's name who works at a dealer and sell people a new vehicle, but as a used vehicle in documents.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 03:28 PM   #14
boznard
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1, 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50ShadesOfGrey View Post
Sadly, my understanding is you have to turn it off each time the engine is turned on…unless you’re in sport mode…or L if you have that ability. Someone please correct me if I,m wrong.

On a related note, I am wondering whether the dang stop-start can be more easily turned off by creating a shortcut to do that? Someone in another thread mentioned that possibility….

If so, how would this shortcut be created? I,ve only had my x1 for a very few days and haven’t figured everything out yet (far from it)

I also hate this feature!
You can create a shortcut to turn off the auto stop start.

Go to the screen where the 'turn off' button appears. Press and hold on the turn off button until it lets you make the shortcut. Then swipe down from the top of the screen to activate the shortcuts bar.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 03:54 PM   #15
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I find the restart function much less noticeable than in my old 3-Series, but the main problem I have with the X1 is that it's too aggressive—it sometimes shuts down before I come to a full stop, like when I'm pulling into my garage or a parking spot. And since I use the auto brake hold, it just becomes a bit more pronounced.
This. It shuts off at around 3-4 miles an hour, but sometimes I’m only slowing down for a speed bump, or at a yield and it just messes up my ability to merge, so I just turn it off. And if they ever figure out how to code iDrive 8, I’m disabling it and that stupid horn honk when you exit the car with the engine on.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 05:07 PM   #16
Firebass
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X1,'20 X1,'03 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boznard View Post
You can create a shortcut to turn off the auto stop start.

Go to the screen where the 'turn off' button appears. Press and hold on the turn off button until it lets you make the shortcut. Then swipe down from the top of the screen to activate the shortcuts bar.
Great tip! That’ll make it somewhat more tolerable…though I wish there were a way to hit a button (or screen) like my F48 that kept it off. Maybe BMW will offer an update that makes the darn thing less clunky and sensitive…it’s the worst auto start/stop I’ve driven
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 05:35 PM   #17
PlasticEngine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
This. It shuts off at around 3-4 miles an hour, but sometimes I’m only slowing down for a speed bump, or at a yield and it just messes up my ability to merge, so I just turn it off. And if they ever figure out how to code iDrive 8, I’m disabling it and that stupid horn honk when you exit the car with the engine on.
the engine-on honking is not just BMW. I was driving a loaner pick-up(forgot which brand) and drove my mother to her yearly check-up at the hospital. I parked in front so she could go in. I got out of the pick-up to make sure she was going into the right door. Engine was still running. Right in front of the hospital, the horns honked loudly.(as a pick-up would) People, including the security guy, gave me dirty looks. I tried to explain that it wasn't my car and I wasn't used to it... but then I decided to just drive off and go park the car ASAP... it was embarassing. My mother nagged at me for days after that.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 07:04 PM   #18
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I’m not ready to call the dealer. But I’m definitely going to complain about it @ my 1st service. Maybe there will be a software update by then
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 07:06 PM   #19
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticEngine View Post
the engine-on honking is not just BMW. I was driving a loaner pick-up(forgot which brand) and drove my mother to her yearly check-up at the hospital. I parked in front so she could go in. I got out of the pick-up to make sure she was going into the right door. Engine was still running. Right in front of the hospital, the horns honked loudly.(as a pick-up would) People, including the security guy, gave me dirty looks. I tried to explain that it wasn't my car and I wasn't used to it... but then I decided to just drive off and go park the car ASAP... it was embarassing. My mother nagged at me for days after that.
My former Lexus and Mazda, and current Hyundai beep if you leave the car w the fob while the car is running
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 09:02 PM   #20
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X1

This auto-shutoff garbage is industry wide. I have a 2022 vehicle from another another mid/high tier brand and it won't let me turn it off permanently either but at least it has a physical button I can press.

I read (nothing official of course) they don't let us turn it off permanently so they can legally claim on their ads about the improved gas efficiency.

I hate spending a large sum of money and being forced to have (non-basic safety) features enabled by default. It's supposed to be "my car" (once it's paid off :-)) let me do what I want with it.

In the end I don't mind just swiping down to the quick access shortcuts and turning it off. It becomes just something I do while getting in.

Edit: Don't even get me started on the horn stuff. That's just stupid. The others I have will just do a beeping sound for a bit and then stop. It's nothing so loud that makes me look like an asshole on my street.

Last edited by Rags2Rags; 02-19-2023 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Horn stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 09:10 PM   #21
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags2Rags View Post
This auto-shutoff garbage is industry wide. I have a 2022 vehicle from another another mid/high tier brand and it won't let me turn it off permanently either but at least it has a physical button I can press.

I read (nothing official of course) they don't let us turn it off permanently so they can legally claim on their ads about the improved gas efficiency.

I hate spending a large sum of money and being forced to have (non-basic safety) features enabled by default. It's supposed to be "my car" (once it's paid off :-)) let me do what I want with it.

In the end I don't mind just swiping down to the quick access shortcuts and turning it off. It becomes just something I do while getting in.

Edit: Don't even get me started on the horn stuff. That's just stupid. The others I have will just do a beeping sound for a bit and then stop. It's nothing so loud that makes me look like an asshole on my street.
My issue is I need to valet my car a lot for work, and because I use the digital key on my phone/watch, the fob is considered secondary. I can xB lock it in the car, it actually happened just today. But if I leave the engine running, it won’t lock if I walk away but it will honk the horn rather loudly if the valet hasn’t gotten in to park my car yet. A bit annoying, especially at high end hotels. So for now, I’ve been having to turn off the car, hand the keys directly to the valet and make sure they start moving it before walking away.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 10:14 PM   #22
Rags2Rags
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X1

Quote:
My issue is I need to valet my car a lot for work, and because I use the digital key on my phone/watch, the fob is considered secondary. I can xB lock it in the car, it actually happened just today. But if I leave the engine running, it won’t lock if I walk away but it will honk the horn rather loudly if the valet hasn’t gotten in to park my car yet. A bit annoying, especially at high end hotels. So for now, I’ve been having to turn off the car, hand the keys directly to the valet and make sure they start moving it before walking away.
The whole honking instead of a built-in lower sounding beeping is just bad and obnoxious and just shouldn't be "a thing". I can see it being really annoying in your case because you need to deal with it often.
Appreciate 1