BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Let's talk Tires (or Tyres)

09-09-2024, 09:18 AM   #1
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Let's talk Tires (or Tyres)

I don't think we have a thread for this, a sort of general auto (not BMW specific) place to discuss tyres.

I'll start with my latest decision making process where I am growing tired of the rapidly increasing price to switch from winters to summers and vice versa, it used to be $25 but has recently risen to $80 or so. Twice a year and I am out near $200 which is nuts.

I only drive 3K Miles a year (5K KM) and the wife's SUV does any family winter hauling on dedicated winter rubber so decided to look for a winter weighted all season for my beater DD. Turns out there is a new type of tyre call All Weather (not all season) that can cover the plowed roads driving situations here reasonably well. So after much digging around I found a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2, obviously no winter experience yet but so far this summer the experience has been..... interesting. Ride quality is outstanding, maybe not surprising for such a soft tyre, but it definitely has it's quirks. Under hard braking or if I slide the tyre (I drive a 16 year old Saab wagon) I can feel the tread separating and moving.

It's hard to explain but the tyre has a very aggressive tread pattern...........

and one can sort of feel the individual parts of the tyre move about in warmer weather and when pushing the tyre. This likely bodes well for winter but it'sa weird summer driving experience.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2024, 09:31 AM   #2
Sedoy
Major
Rep
Drives: F10

Recent advancements in tire technology, especially with silica, have been pretty incredible (maybe that's why they are so expensice now or maybe inflation...). But like you mentioned, there are now "all-weather" tires, but if I were in Canada, I would still invest in a second set of wheels with dedicated snow tires and just swap them myself.

Here’s a good YouTube channel that compares tires:
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2024, 09:42 AM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Canada is a big place, Toronto has pretty small snow fall totals and even then the roads are plowed. I just do not drive enough to justify two cars with 2 sets each anymore, not just money factor but PITA factor.
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2024, 10:04 AM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I don't think we have a thread for this, a sort of general auto (not BMW specific) place to discuss tyres.

I'll start with my latest decision making process where I am growing tired of the rapidly increasing price to switch from winters to summers and vice versa, it used to be $25 but has recently risen to $80 or so. Twice a year and I am out near $200 which is nuts.

I only drive 3K Miles a year (5K KM) and the wife's SUV does any family winter hauling on dedicated winter rubber so decided to look for a winter weighted all season for my beater DD. Turns out there is a new type of tyre call All Weather (not all season) that can cover the plowed roads driving situations here reasonably well. So after much digging around I found a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2, obviously no winter experience yet but so far this summer the experience has been..... interesting. Ride quality is outstanding, maybe not surprising for such a soft tyre, but it definitely has it's quirks. Under hard braking or if I slide the tyre (I drive a 16 year old Saab wagon) I can feel the tread separating and moving.

It's hard to explain but the tyre has a very aggressive tread pattern...........

and one can sort of feel the individual parts of the tyre move about in warmer weather and when pushing the tyre. This likely bodes well for winter but it'sa weird summer driving experience.
GF with the Mini runs with the Michelin Cross Climate 2.
I pushed the Mini beyond the limits , It's a great tire in the rain but also in winter on snow and ice the grip is amazing .
The only downside I noticed is that the very aggressive tread pattern makes more road noise and the tire sidewall is softer.

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66286.00
eugenebmw1954.00
ayilar34.00
      09-09-2024, 10:09 AM   #5
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Not sure where abouts in TO you are but all seasons will be fine 364 days of the year. We're spoiled with overactive road works. It's the other drivers you'll have to watch for, not so much the non-existent black ice.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 10:25 AM   #6
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I looked at those tires. Went with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires instead. Love them. Snow is less of an issue though here.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 10:38 AM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Not sure where abouts in TO you are but all seasons will be fine 364 days of the year. We're spoiled with overactive road works. It's the other drivers you'll have to watch for, not so much the non-existent black ice.
Lakeview. Yeah and I drive only 5K Km a year.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 10:57 AM   #8
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Lakeview. Yeah and I drive only 5K Km a year.
Yeah, you guys have half the snow load we do. It seems to be trending lighter and lighter each year. Good call for at least 1 car with proper rubber in case of a road trip or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 11:40 AM   #9
s_ribs
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 535i xDrive M-Sport, E30

Garage List
Alternative: If you already have good condition summer and snow tires, it might be worth pricing out a second set of wheels for your winter tires. Pays for itself after a few seasons and then you get the best tire for each season.
Appreciate 1
gblansten2383.50
      09-09-2024, 12:01 PM   #10
wizardofOz
Rep
Drives: M135i

I currently have the Bridgestone S005 tires from the manufacturer but thinking Continental or Michelin and just going for all season as I'm getting old and lazy...still cannot decide which brand after watching the video for the gloriously sunny GB weather =)
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2024, 12:02 PM   #11
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_ribs View Post
Alternative: If you already have good condition summer and snow tires, it might be worth pricing out a second set of wheels for your winter tires. Pays for itself after a few seasons and then you get the best tire for each season.
I have 2 sets of wheels. Both my winters and summers were 8 years old and due replacement. It's $80 just to change wheels now. It's a PITA too, storing them and getting them down from the rack, over it given the mild winters and lack of KM I do.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 12:14 PM   #12
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofOz View Post
I currently have the Bridgestone S005 tires from the manufacturer but thinking Continental or Michelin and just going for all season as I'm getting old and lazy...still cannot decide which brand after watching the video for the gloriously sunny GB weather =)
You don't get a lot of snow/ice there do you? I'd lean towards a tyre that is a touch better in summer than the michelin CC2.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2024, 12:23 PM   #13
wizardofOz
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
You don't get a lot of snow/ice there do you? I'd lean towards a tyre that is a touch better in summer than the michelin CC2.
This 'summer' hasn't really been summer at all with random flash floods and rain, I can probably remember there was two weeks maximum of sunshine that was through late June to late August (maybe slightly more but not much)

As far as I remember, there were one or two days of hailstones but not snow/ice over last winter.

In terms of the two brands, my mind is saying Michelin but heart is saying Continental....that's as far as I'll go as I don't want to open a can of worms/bag of popcorn at my own expense
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2024, 12:44 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I'm in the Mid Atlantic. So we get snow, sleet, and freezing rain; in addition to having to deal with hot summers and torrential down pours.

I've been running the Cross Climate 2's for coming up on 100k miles. Yes, you are reading that correctly. The tread hasn't come down to where the wear bars are showing yet. I'll be replacing them before the coming winter season. They've performed great on my 2019 C-HR. I don't push this car nearly as much as my 135i when I have fun. But I do corner it pretty aggressively. It's been great in the corners. Driving it through the snow storms I've experienced has been very good too. With respect to wet performance, when the tires are new, they're fairly decent. But that trails off in a significant way as the tire wears. And this has been confirmed by the reviewer behind the Youtube channel Tyre Reviews linked above.

With all that said, I'm buying another set of Cross Climate 2's to replace the worn ones.

ETA: The tires on my 135i are the Pilot 4S' and I have a second set of wheels with the Bridgestone Blizzaks WS-80s. So have those as personal references.
Appreciate 2
slilley80.00
ayilar34.00
      09-09-2024, 12:51 PM   #15
ekaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

We don't get the same snow here in Chicago anymore and was thinking about the cross climate 2 as my winter tire. Decent in the snow that we do get and not as bad if I end up running them year round if needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 05:12 PM   #16
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

I would put conti dws06 plus in the top 3 for your scenario
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 06:35 PM   #17
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.95]
I have croosclimate 2s on my wife’s CX-5. Works great. Much better than the stock Toyos.
      09-09-2024, 09:54 PM   #18
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Eleven years ago when we bought the buggy we had a valley winter in Oootah, now it is hit or miss. This past winter I think there were five days where the single stage blower came out. The winter before I used the two stage that many times after February.

Eight years ago we tossed the run flats, got summer and winter shoes. That was great as my spouse was driving to work. New job and no need to drive. The tires will probably age out before the tread is worn out. I change the shoes so no cost.

The next set will be ??? I could see going with two set or with all seasons. Probably depends on job - a new one may be coming.

Last edited by BeEmVe; 09-10-2024 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 03:24 AM   #19
DubaiRich
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4; 2008 118D

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4  [8.17]
Sorry folks, I can't relate!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 09:24 AM   #20
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Me neither, driving on ice much of the winter, where suds reign supreme.
      09-10-2024, 10:19 AM   #21
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Just to be clear, i'd like this thread to be a general tire thread not just my specific use case. Prices are nuts but the tech and performance is remarkable.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 10:34 AM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

From a general view point, the all weather tires (winter rated) are so good that I have no plans on buying a set of winters for my daily driver. I had that plan initially when I bought my Toyota. But after driving on the Cross Climate 2s, any desire to spend the money for winters has gone out the window. This is for my situation in the climate conditions I experience. Do the Blizzaks perform better than the CC2s? Yes, but at the extremes. Same with the 4S' in dry weather compared to the CC2s. Regular driving there really are only marginal differences between the 4S' and CC2s. Wet performance is a different situation. The stability and confidence I have with the 4S' are immediate compared to the CC2s. That's the only weak point I can bring up with the CC2s.

Point I'm making for a general discussion is the technology that keeps improving with tires in the all weather category is just amazing and I look forward to the next generation of all weathers to see how much better they can be.
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6794.00