BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Annoyances Thread Try 2

02-11-2024, 08:14 PM   #1
nishalp
Rep
Drives: X1

Annoyances Thread Try 2

Here it is again. Things that just annoy me that can be easily fixed most likely.

I am sure BMW is trying to get you to use the "Hey BMW" voice co-pilot but that things are just too slow for many things and half the times it does not hear you correctly.

1. Lack of a quick way to turn off the Auto Engine Start / Stop even with shortcut option. I understand the way cars are going towards no buttons and all touch screen but give me one or two buttons that I can assign a task or action two. That would be awesome and solve my issues.
2. Auto Lock on moving away option - When engine running, give me a option to now sound the horn that wakes my entire house and neighbors up in the morning because I moved 10 feet from the car to change shoes or something else. Give me an option to just flash the lights or ding the dashboard, or just turn it off.
3. Fix the Lane Assist as to me it seems more dangerous that solving things, it pulls randomly when lanes merge and can cause issues. If has serious issues with merging lanes.
4. Climate control is too complicated. Hidden options in the left menu to auto air circulation or re-circulate. Simplify it please.
5. Please put back the spare tire option in all cars. Not everyone can afford to throw away tires when they get a nail. This is an entry level car for most, not a high end. We can't treat this as a car that only the rich will drive.
6. Remember my mode when I set it. Resetting and having to set each time is a hassle and for that reason do not use it much. honestly don't really understand the need for half the modes. If you just let me have mode where I can turn on and off the features, I want instead of modes where some options are there, and some are not there.
7. Changing the mode using the button should just swap the modes and not put the car into a partial mode change for speed.

Those are the most important to me. Any who, ICD9 is out so I am sure we can forget about features or changes in ICD 8.x but no harm. They should still be aware for others.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 04:46 AM   #2
Tazz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50d (2019), BMW X1 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishalp View Post
Here it is again. Things that just annoy me that can be easily fixed most likely.

I am sure BMW is trying to get you to use the "Hey BMW" voice co-pilot but that things are just too slow for many things and half the times it does not hear you correctly.

1. Lack of a quick way to turn off the Auto Engine Start / Stop even with shortcut option. I understand the way cars are going towards no buttons and all touch screen but give me one or two buttons that I can assign a task or action two. That would be awesome and solve my issues.
2. Auto Lock on moving away option - When engine running, give me a option to now sound the horn that wakes my entire house and neighbors up in the morning because I moved 10 feet from the car to change shoes or something else. Give me an option to just flash the lights or ding the dashboard, or just turn it off.
3. Fix the Lane Assist as to me it seems more dangerous that solving things, it pulls randomly when lanes merge and can cause issues. If has serious issues with merging lanes.
4. Climate control is too complicated. Hidden options in the left menu to auto air circulation or re-circulate. Simplify it please.
5. Please put back the spare tire option in all cars. Not everyone can afford to throw away tires when they get a nail. This is an entry level car for most, not a high end. We can't treat this as a car that only the rich will drive.
6. Remember my mode when I set it. Resetting and having to set each time is a hassle and for that reason do not use it much. honestly don't really understand the need for half the modes. If you just let me have mode where I can turn on and off the features, I want instead of modes where some options are there, and some are not there.
7. Changing the mode using the button should just swap the modes and not put the car into a partial mode change for speed.

Those are the most important to me. Any who, ICD9 is out so I am sure we can forget about features or changes in ICD 8.x but no harm. They should still be aware for others.
???

1. there is a shortcut button, and it will turn off as soon as i click it (i have saved the actual button as a shortcut)

2. yeah i love it when it happens and it scares rthe beenbsasjb out of me. but you can just ; turn comfort access off as a shortcut (used it when i camped in my car)

3. on Au roads i dont have this issue, and it feels very comfident here as long as you indicate its fine

4. how is the climate control complicated, a toddler can use it, and the auto mode is a simple toggle at the top of the screen???

5. I agree, this is valid, i would have taken mine out anyway tho.

6. it does remember your mode, I have mine saved to digital art mode on start, cause i like purple

7. honest to god i dont know what you mean, its quite simple to use except changing the distance (which i have got a shortcut for but it is annoying i need a shortcut when it could be on the steering wheel like my x7)

my only issue with my car is small fuel tank ( i was an early adopter ) and i have a small rattle from a speaker im getting looked at under warranty soon.

Also the voice commands tend to work for me, but honestly its faster to do it your self but a nice gimmick.

i dont like how the middle seat bench seatbelt works either to be frank
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:07 AM   #3
Jimbo77
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 u11 msport

Something else I experienced last weekend and I don’t know if it was the car playing up or just how it is.

On arse-isted drive mode when I changed the distance control to the shortest distance any time I went past a new speed limit area the set was removed and I had to manually change the cruise control speed. I would have checked again but it took me half an hour to find the distance control setting in the first place so I didn’t bother setting it back to medium until the trip back home. Which of course the set function was working again like normal.

Also in Australia and what bmw should do is teach the car to avoid the Grand Canyon sized creators in our roads so I don’t have to fight the steeering wheel to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 06:45 AM   #4
greengob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
???

1. there is a shortcut button, and it will turn off as soon as i click it (i have saved the actual button as a shortcut)
How do you save the actual button? I could only get the drivetrain menu saved as a shortcut. (Might be called something else I can’t remember off the top of my head, but you get the idea)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:41 AM   #5
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengob View Post
How do you save the actual button? I could only get the drivetrain menu saved as a shortcut. (Might be called something else I can’t remember off the top of my head, but you get the idea)
If you have ID 9 I don't think you can shortcut the actual button (only ID 8).
      02-12-2024, 10:17 AM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

My ID8 allows for a shortcut, but I rarely defeat this feature.

Quote:
Turn off auto lock -or- leave the key fob in your vehicle -or- don't start the car until you are ready to drive off.

Quote:
Do you regularly change back and forth between circulation mode? Have you tried voice command? I agree with above - putting the climate control on AUTO takes care of most HVAC issues.

Quote:
US X1 i28 comes standard with a temp spare, and does not even offer run flat tires. Independent repair shops will patch RFTs if the nail is not near the sidewall.
Quote:
What is your preferred mode? The only modes that can't be set as default are sport and efficient.
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are saying here. Modes don't change speed.
Appreciate 1
SAS X119.50
      02-12-2024, 03:23 PM   #7
nishalp
Rep

I seem to have hit some nerves lol. Nothing personal against the car. I love the car but some of these "personal" annoyances would improve for me. I get there are workaround like don't start the car or leave the key in the car, but I need to actively remember to do that. Not really going to go through each and argue. These are just my personal things. They may or may not bother everyone as it seems . But I am sure there are others that some of these may bother. I can compare to my other car but don't want to get into that debate also. And believe me that car has its fair share of annoyances. There is always room for improvement.
Appreciate 3
X1-CT25.00
Mini Mize179.50
      02-14-2024, 11:35 PM   #8
ramen.slayer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX1

Not sure why first post was deleted. Here is mine:

1. Center console lid flips to wrong side for RHD vehicles
2. AC lacks control for airflow (only dynamic / balanced)
3. AC airflow is noisy even at low setting
4. Cannot lock/unlock from rear doors exterior handles
5. Tailgate sometimes get stuck after opened half way (mentioned in another thread)
6. Infotainment system sometimes doesn't go back to the last screen used after restarting car. Sometimes I would go into interior lights once, and then to Radio. Turn car off. Turn car on. Screen goes to interior lighting screen. Not always
7. Need to wait till car gets reception from server for radio station list to load. Can't change to other preset stations when in underground parking lot
8. headrest. Pushes head too far forward. No adjustability. I sit very upright. these headrests are designed for people who sit on a much more of an angle
9. There is no need for Start/Stop (engine) button for iX1. EVs should just allow driver to pop in and drive off with key in pocket. It's annoying when car "shuts off" after driver's door is opened, and I need to re-Start the car every time i get in and out of car
10. Sport mode forces ambience light to red (I don't like red colors in a car for lighting for obvious reasons)
11. Other drive modes do not allow you to change steering setting outside of Sport
12. Front distance sensor is a little insensitive relative to others
13. iX1 should have a frunk big enough to put charging cable etc
14. The electronic seats' only allow cushion to go up and down, and no tilting
15. Rear trunk only has one light. It's hard to see stuff on the left side of trunk at night. This is not a cheap car, i think we should get another LED light on the left. Really not that expensive to do that
16. The song name doesn't scroll and show the rest of it is so long that it can't fit on one screen in one go when using Bluetooth connection (I haven't checked, cuz I only listen to radio)
17. Car creeps forward too much for iX1. It's unnatural, especially on uphill scenarios. Seems the program was designed to maintain minimum vehicle speed instead of constant torque output when brake pedal is released
18. The D mode in iX1 sometimes doesn't creep forward right after I shift from P/N. It's confusing as I expect the car to creep forward and didn't.
19. Brake pedal isn't sensitive enough for iX1 for satefy switch for shifting. Often times I had the foot on the brake pedal, tried to shift, and car tells me I need to presss on brake before shifting. This comment is based on comparison with Tesla and Mercedes EVs

Probably have a few more. None is a real dealbreaker, which is clear given I chose this over others. Though I think these are things BMW could improve without costing a whole lot more. Otherwise, the car is great, and I am very happy with it as a small sized family car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 05:31 AM   #9
Tazz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50d (2019), BMW X1 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo77 View Post
Something else I experienced last weekend and I don’t know if it was the car playing up or just how it is.

On arse-isted drive mode when I changed the distance control to the shortest distance any time I went past a new speed limit area the set was removed and I had to manually change the cruise control speed. I would have checked again but it took me half an hour to find the distance control setting in the first place so I didn’t bother setting it back to medium until the trip back home. Which of course the set function was working again like normal.

Also in Australia and what bmw should do is teach the car to avoid the Grand Canyon sized creators in our roads so I don’t have to fight the steeering wheel to do it.
Nah this one is valid, especially after rain, i have had a few winces. Also a bit sketchy on a dirt road. I personally prefer letting the AI decide but telling it I prefer the shortest distance. Whats a 'set speed'? Dont you have to use the slider thing on the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:39 AM   #10
Jimbo77
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 u11 msport

The set speed is done by the car reading the speed limit signs on the side of the road and when it changes you just press set it it automatically changes your speed to the new limit. Eg. you are in a 100 zone and it drops to 80. The car sees the new limit of 80 and asks if you want to set it and you just press set and it changes and matches the new set speed.
Appreciate 0