BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Apple Carkey inconsistent behaviour

03-19-2024, 11:49 PM   #1
ifletch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i xLine

Apple Carkey inconsistent behaviour

I have noticed that when I walk up to my locked X1 with my iPhone or Apple Watch and go to open the drivers door it sometimes will take 30 seconds or more to unlock. Sometimes I have to open the Apple Walet and hit the unlock button. The odd thing is any time I go to the rear hatch it always unlocks with no hesitation. I have the auto lock/unlock disabled to prevent constant locking unlocking when in the house.

Anyone else have these issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 02:54 AM   #2
Gaz55
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 30e MSport

Noticed exactly same thing on my X1 xDrive 30e since day 1 (June 23) and seems quite random. I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I disabled proximity unlocking/locking due to unwanted activation with car being close to house. Sometimes repeatedly tapping underside of driver’s handle works, sometimes holding and unlocking the iPhone works. I’ve even had lock/unlock show as unavailable in iPhone wallet and in my BMW app. When this happens I open the boot which seems to reliably wake the system and it will then unlock normally at the drivers door handle. BMW genius team offered the usual reset using the volume button, but that didn’t work. Dealer product expert suggested trying a different phone. Haven’t done that and just living with issue so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:12 AM   #3
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
This happened to me early on. But then I realised that the key fob and Apple UWB are interfering with each other. Since I started leaving my key fob at home, the problem never came back.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:31 AM   #4
robe033
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX1 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifletch View Post
I have noticed that when I walk up to my locked X1 with my iPhone or Apple Watch and go to open the drivers door it sometimes will take 30 seconds or more to unlock. Sometimes I have to open the Apple Walet and hit the unlock button. The odd thing is any time I go to the rear hatch it always unlocks with no hesitation. I have the auto lock/unlock disabled to prevent constant locking unlocking when in the house.

Anyone else have these issues?
I have also had this problem since June
After lots of investigation, by myself and BMW Tech, it appears the car decides to energy save if the battery voltage drops, by switching parts of the system off, this include proximity aerials which are used to detect phones presence, when door handle is touched, they power up again. Never have problem when using physical key though. I have tried with many different iPhones and apple watch. Does not appear to happen with every car though, many people use phone daily without the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:12 AM   #5
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I never had a problem with 03/2023 with having the key and CarKey on me but have seen it recently - possible since it was updated with 11/2023.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 11:22 AM   #6
Kosymodo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX1 xDrive30 M Sport

Yeah my iX1 does the same, completely randomly

Some days I have to use Apple Wallet to unlock, some days that's not available (the options are greyed out), so I have to use the My BMW app

Some days touching the ridged section of the door handle unlocks the car, some days that doesn't work

In summary, using the My BMW app always works, using other methods sometimes works
Appreciate 0