BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Transmission Issue

06-08-2023, 06:38 AM   #45
tgmorris99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 (delivered 5/7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
It's all in the throttle tuning. If it was the DCT you'd see the RPM's climbing but the car not accelerating. Mine does as you describe in personal mode, I can mash the throttle and it feels like the car is in park, no engine response. But I put it in sport mode and everything is fine.
It's like in the old days with carburetors and a huge "flat spot" in the response. Mash it and nothing for a few beats and then... vroom. In this case it's clearly a programming choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 09:00 AM   #46
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post
My experience is opposite. With getting hot outside, DCT lag becomes really annoying in Personal mode. During winter time there were close to "no cases" for me when flooring the accelerator down until click and nothing happens for 2 seconds. Did an experiment yesterday: applied periodical pushes to pedal, wavelike action like push and release but quickly, push and again release quickly, no any reaction from car at all as a result, no rev increase, gear change, not even an attempt, like you doing nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjay77 View Post
I find that approaching junctions at certain speeds it switched the the Battery (Mild Hybrid 48V, not PHEV) and turns off the engine so it almost waits to decide if you really wanted to press the accelerator or not. I feel if you drive a bit more aggressively this reduces. In sport mode, the battery doesn’t engage like this and the engine stays on so it is always ready to go no matter what.
Maybe throttle mapping like some have stated.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2023, 09:20 PM   #47
JupiterOne
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

Quote:
It's all in the throttle tuning. If it was the DCT you'd see the RPM's climbing but the car not accelerating. Mine does as you describe in personal mode, I can mash the throttle and it feels like the car is in park, no engine response. But I put it in sport mode and everything is fine.
I agree. But sometimes I find sport mode very busy for day-to-day driving. You basically cannot drive and relax. Let owners of m40's or pure M's forgive and criticise that 28i cannot be very busy. It's great to have fun but it is basically always provoked driving.
Spent couple of days in Efficient, maybe just me, but lag is less annoying there and you are getting nice saving millage numbers on instruments cluster (... getting older).
Workaround for Personal mode when moving is to use Boost mode with holding left shifter. Not that it is quicker but it is at least predictable, if you go this way you know what to expect with what delay v.s. just floor the accelerator in Personal mode and rely on mood of car whether it wants to react or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 10:46 PM   #48
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
I agree. But sometimes I find sport mode very busy for day-to-day driving. You basically cannot drive and relax. Let owners of m40's or pure M's forgive and criticise that 28i cannot be very busy. It's great to have fun but it is basically always provoked driving.
Spent couple of days in Efficient, maybe just me, but lag is less annoying there and you are getting nice saving millage numbers on instruments cluster (... getting older).
Workaround for Personal mode when moving is to use Boost mode with holding left shifter. Not that it is quicker but it is at least predictable, if you go this way you know what to expect with what delay v.s. just floor the accelerator in Personal mode and rely on mood of car whether it wants to react or not.
I agree, sport mode is a bit too aggressive for me for day to day driving, especially on the freeway. Great for having fun but not practical since it uses much more gas. I usually stay in personal mode, and flip the shifter from D to S when I need instant throttle response, and then back to D when I know I won’t have to stop anytime soon.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2023, 11:43 AM   #49
JupiterOne
Private
Rep

Quote:
I agree, sport mode is a bit too aggressive for me for day to day driving, especially on the freeway. Great for having fun but not practical since it uses much more gas. I usually stay in personal mode, and flip the shifter from D to S when I need instant throttle response, and then back to D when I know I won’t have to stop anytime soon.
Do you know how to do D->S and back S->D via paddle shifters? Not sure manual is clear or of this is possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 12:15 PM   #50
enjay77
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d

Quote:
Do you know how to do D->S and back S->D via paddle shifters? Not sure manual is clear or of this is possible.
Just pull the gear selector backwards to change from D to S and again to switch from S to D?
Appreciate 1
donnus20.50
      06-09-2023, 03:54 PM   #51
JupiterOne
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjay77 View Post
Just pull the gear selector backwards to change from D to S and again to switch from S to D?
Yep, thanks I know this. The question was about is it possible to achieve the same with paddle shifters not to leave steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 04:05 PM   #52
miles2go2go
Rep
Drives: Lexus NX

Is it safe to change from D to S and back when the car is moving?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 05:11 PM   #53
JupiterOne
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles2go2go View Post
Is it safe to change from D to S and back when the car is moving?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 08:50 PM   #54
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Yep, thanks I know this. The question was about is it possible to achieve the same with paddle shifters not to leave steering wheel.
As far as I know, I’m personal mode, using the paddles will shift it into manual shift mode, but will revert back to auto after not shifting for a while.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:46 PM   #55
wtfnga
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildumplinx1 View Post
Wondering if anyone's had this issue as well.

Today my transmission partially(?) shit itself haha.
I seem to have on and off issues where we'll be driving on the freeway and the car would seem to downshift and felt like it would get "stuck" in between gears and rev really high, but immediately correct itself and have no issues after. Today something similar happened but I immediately got an error on my dash that told me to take it to the service center and that my reverse gear didn't work. I pulled over and tried to reverse and it felt like it was sitting in neutral and just revving/not moving. I restarted my car and same thing. I took it to the dealer and they took it in, but when they started it up reverse worked fine. They still have it to diagnose. I just find it alarming and odd that this would happen. I took delivery of the vehicle in December and it only has about 2700 miles on it. I'm curious if anyone's had any issues similar or if this has happened to anyone else! (And/or using this as a cautionary tale)
I just stumbled upon your thread and wanted to check in on how your car has been doing? I currently have my 2023 X1 at the dealership where it's been for the past two months due to a similar issue. My baby was at 7k miles.

It only happened once while I was driving where I was sitting at a red light, tried to go on green, and the car didn't want to budge at first. When it finally went a few seconds later, there was a loud screeching sound and thudding around the front of the car, and then it finally went all the way. It happened a few more times while I was on the highway, but it finally stopped and became smooth again after like three times. Scariest moment of my life especially since I had passengers!

There have also been a lot of times where when I'm stopped for a prolonged period of time, like at a red light, and there'd be a thudding sound from the front of the car that sounds like something dropped. This was pretty frequent to almost every day I was driving.

I finally asked the dealership to take a look when I took it in for service, and they also said it was transmission-related. However, the first transmission BMW sent was unable to be programmed with the car. The second transmission came this week and they're working on it, but boy am I scared for any issues coming from this.

So, how's your car been treating you now?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:46 AM   #56
Luff9
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfnga View Post
I just stumbled upon your thread and wanted to check in on how your car has been doing? I currently have my 2023 X1 at the dealership where it's been for the past two months due to a similar issue. My baby was at 7k miles.

It only happened once while I was driving where I was sitting at a red light, tried to go on green, and the car didn't want to budge at first. When it finally went a few seconds later, there was a loud screeching sound and thudding around the front of the car, and then it finally went all the way. It happened a few more times while I was on the highway, but it finally stopped and became smooth again after like three times. Scariest moment of my life especially since I had passengers!

There have also been a lot of times where when I'm stopped for a prolonged period of time, like at a red light, and there'd be a thudding sound from the front of the car that sounds like something dropped. This was pretty frequent to almost every day I was driving.

I finally asked the dealership to take a look when I took it in for service, and they also said it was transmission-related. However, the first transmission BMW sent was unable to be programmed with the car. The second transmission came this week and they're working on it, but boy am I scared for any issues coming from this.

So, how's your car been treating you now?

I have similar issue with my 2024 M35i. There's some clunking noise coming from the DCT (could be the front differential) when the car is in stationary or approaching to a stop (both reverse and forward), and the noise did not appear in the first 1000km. Brought the car back to the dealership today and hopefully they could replicate the issue and get it fixed asap.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:48 PM   #57
lildumplinx1
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

I actually did a manufacturer buy back. In the previous car they had to install a whole new transmission but I wasn't sure if I'd trust the car since it happened to me 3x or more after taking it to get fixed 3x. I'm in a 24 x1 now and it's been much much muuuuch better and I wonder if the super jerkiness that some people experience from the get go is indicative of this issue. My new 24 drove seamlessly from the start and even my start stop wasn't as invasive/laggy. Like I don't mind driving with it on now vs I couldn't drive without turning it off before. Granted I'm only at 2k miles now but this is around when the first time I ran into the issue with the 23, so I guess I'll report back if anything happens here with the 24!

I hope that everything works out with your car! I never had a loud thud or anything, I just would lose power and become very jerky or I couldn't reverse.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 11:37 AM   #58
richiro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luff9 View Post
I have similar issue with my 2024 M35i. There's some clunking noise coming from the DCT (could be the front differential) when the car is in stationary or approaching to a stop (both reverse and forward), and the noise did not appear in the first 1000km. Brought the car back to the dealership today and hopefully they could replicate the issue and get it fixed asap.
Please keep us posted on this, experienced similar issues with transmission, my dealer responded that the car is operating as intended.
Appreciate 0