BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Are the headlight supposed to come on automatically when wipers are wiping?

04-30-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Are the headlight supposed to come on automatically when wipers are wiping?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just came home after driving through extremely heavy rain.

Are the headlight supposed to come on automatically when wipers are wiping? My wipers were on the whole time, medium or maximum speed most of the time. I noticed that the headlights didn't seem to remain on 100% of the times. Sometimes they turn off when I stopped at a long traffic light. What's even more strange, sometimes the high beams came on as well. This was around 3pm.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 06:37 PM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickysFirstBimmer View Post
I just came home after driving through extremely heavy rain.

Are the headlight supposed to come on automatically when wipers are wiping? My wipers were on the whole time, medium or maximum speed most of the time. I noticed that the headlights didn't seem to remain on 100% of the times. Sometimes they turn off when I stopped at a long traffic light. What's even more strange, sometimes the high beams came on as well. This was around 3pm.
yes. my '14 BMW had this feature.

If your headlights are in Auto and the wipers have been swiping for about a minute, the headlights will come on and will stay on until the wipers aren't consistently swiping.

It's a safety feature that, IMO, all cars should have. Headlights on/Wipers on is the law in my state, and I can't tell you how many people don't do this, even in torrential downpours.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 07:04 PM   #3
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
yes. my '14 BMW had this feature.

If your headlights are in Auto and the wipers have been swiping for about a minute, the headlights will come on and will stay on until the wipers aren't consistently swiping.

It's a safety feature that, IMO, all cars should have. Headlights on/Wipers on is the law in my state, and I can't tell you how many people don't do this, even in torrential downpours.
I haven't had the car long enough yet, but it seems like when in rain sensor mode, the headlight doesn't always turn on. in medium or high speed wiping, I guess it does come on.. but I can't remember when the headlights turned off...

although one thing that I can confirm was the high-beam... it did come on by itself while I was driving in the rain with the wiper on medium. it was still reasonable bright outside. the low-beam was on. I was following a white cargo van and I saw the high-beam come on by itself. I did not touch the light switch stalk at all. I didn't want to annoying other drivers, so I went into the menu and turned off automatic high beam.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 07:02 AM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickysFirstBimmer View Post
I haven't had the car long enough yet, but it seems like when in rain sensor mode, the headlight doesn't always turn on. in medium or high speed wiping, I guess it does come on.. but I can't remember when the headlights turned off...

although one thing that I can confirm was the high-beam... it did come on by itself while I was driving in the rain with the wiper on medium. it was still reasonable bright outside. the low-beam was on. I was following a white cargo van and I saw the high-beam come on by itself. I did not touch the light switch stalk at all. I didn't want to annoying other drivers, so I went into the menu and turned off automatic high beam.
I've had my car since December. No issues with the lights coming on when the wipers are on, and no issues with the auto high beams activating during the day.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2023, 07:13 AM   #5
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep

Quote:
I've had my car since December. No issues with the lights coming on when the wipers are on, and no issues with the auto high beams activating during the day.
Thanks! I probably just have to get used to how they work during the day. Compared to all the cars that I've had previously, the X1 has a steeper learning curve. Kind of feels like the first time I got a smartphone several years ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:20 AM   #6
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Never had the lights come on because of rain, they might come on due to lower light conditions not the actual rain. Always thought that auto lights were activated due to lower ambient light only, no connection to the wipers.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:26 AM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
Never had the lights come on because of rain, they might come on due to lower light conditions not the actual rain. Always thought that auto lights were activated due to lower ambient light only, no connection to the wipers.
Here in the US, BMW also has the feature for headlights to activate if the wipers are on for safety. In addition to ambient light conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:32 AM   #8
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Here in the US, BMW also has the feature for headlights to activate if the wipers are on for safety. In addition to ambient light conditions.
Ah ok, not heard of that one before, normally light or wiper activation only in most markets.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:43 PM   #9
50ShadesOfGrey
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Some states in the US require, by law, that headlights are on if the windshield wipers are in operation. If the headlights don’t come on automatically because the vehicle has that feature, the driver is responsible for turning on the headlights whenever the wipers are on
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 02:58 AM   #10
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Can confirm my lights also come on when the wipers activate on the auto setting. Mine seem to work fine without issue. At long lights when the car is at a stop the wipers shut off for a bit until I start moving again, was the same with my f32. I have automatic high beams disabled in the menus because there is absolutely no reason to have it where I live other than if you want to occasionally blind people randomly.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0