BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Allstate complete protection - worth it or no?

04-22-2024, 02:17 PM   #1
spmcewen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Allstate complete protection - worth it or no?

I feel like I was suckered into buying the Allstate Complete Protection service contract through the dealership when I received my vehicle.

Reading over the contract terms today it's not as great as I remember it being explained to me. It mostly only covers repairs of certain limited cosmetic damage to the interior (rips, tears, burns, etc less than 2 inches), exterior (dents that can be pulled that don't require painting), and tires and wheels (repair of alloy wheels only). None of these things actually get replaced, except tires, and windshield damage but that is covered by my normal insurance anyway. There are a couple other benefits that are unlikely to occur like trip interruption (only up to $500 reimbursement, and towing and roadside assistant, both up to $100 reimbursement).

I'm thinking about taking the option to end the contract and be reimbursed the prorated value as it seems unlikely that any combination of bad events could ever come close to how much the 8 years of coverage cost, which was close to $4000.

What do you all think? Was I suckered into this or do you see this type of coverage as worth it?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:07 PM   #2
Petroleum
Private
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcewen View Post
8 years of coverage cost, which was close to $4000.

Get you money back as soon as possible. Hopefully you will get most of the money back if they prorate it. You basically got scammed into buying that useless plan.

Sorry for being blunt, but I know too many people who were scammed and conned by car dealerships into buying these useless protection plans.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:55 PM   #3
spmcewen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroleum View Post
Get you money back as soon as possible. Hopefully you will get most of the money back if they prorate it. You basically got scammed into buying that useless plan.

Sorry for being blunt, but I know too many people who were scammed and conned by car dealerships into buying these useless protection plans.
No worries. I'm usually 100% opposed to these sorts of programs. They definitely misrepresented the details quite severely.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:58 PM   #4
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcewen View Post
I feel like I was suckered into buying the Allstate Complete Protection service contract through the dealership when I received my vehicle.

Reading over the contract terms today it's not as great as I remember it being explained to me. It mostly only covers repairs of certain limited cosmetic damage to the interior (rips, tears, burns, etc less than 2 inches), exterior (dents that can be pulled that don't require painting), and tires and wheels (repair of alloy wheels only). None of these things actually get replaced, except tires, and windshield damage but that is covered by my normal insurance anyway. There are a couple other benefits that are unlikely to occur like trip interruption (only up to $500 reimbursement, and towing and roadside assistant, both up to $100 reimbursement).

I'm thinking about taking the option to end the contract and be reimbursed the prorated value as it seems unlikely that any combination of bad events could ever come close to how much the 8 years of coverage cost, which was close to $4000.

What do you all think? Was I suckered into this or do you see this type of coverage as worth it?
Think about all the cars you have owned over your entire life. Now, add up the costs of the repairs and other items that would be covered by this $4000 contract. Do you come out ahead or not?

Personally, I stopped buying all of these things because I have never come out ahead on any of them.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2024, 04:29 PM   #5
Petroleum
Private
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Think about all the cars you have owned over your entire life. Now, add up the costs of the repairs and other items that would be covered by this $4000 contract. Do you come out ahead or not?

Personally, I stopped buying all of these things because I have never come out ahead on any of them.
the only protection plan or extended warranty that I actually benefit from is Apple Care on all of my iPhones. I pay them on monthly plans, around $10 to $13, depending on the model. Over the last 5 years, I've come out way ahead. (4 iPhones damaged beyond repair, 3 cracked screens and 1 stolen on a Lufthansa flight) Apple took care of me with new phones and replaced screen promptly. Yes, I use my phone hard.. very hard... which is unavoidable for construction.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 06:50 PM   #6
spmcewen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroleum View Post
the only protection plan or extended warranty that I actually benefit from is Apple Care on all of my iPhones. I pay them on monthly plans, around $10 to $13, depending on the model. Over the last 5 years, I've come out way ahead. (4 iPhones damaged beyond repair, 3 cracked screens and 1 stolen on a Lufthansa flight) Apple took care of me with new phones and replaced screen promptly. Yes, I use my phone hard.. very hard... which is unavoidable for construction.
I agree about AppleCare. I hate phone cases so AppleCare is my case. I typically break my phone at least once every 2 years so it's very much worth it for me.
Appreciate 0