BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Questions on the Harman Kardon system on the new X1

03-18-2023, 06:53 PM   #23
DFW1980
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 still at Bremerhaven port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
I opted for the HK upgrade and I'm very pleased with it. The bass is superb; clean and plenty of depth, even at high volume. The mids and highs are very clear too. I don't know what the total wattage is, but it's certainly loud enough for me, to the point where it is uncomfortably loud when you wind the volume up to full.

For those wondering, the total speaker count is 11. Tweeter and midrange units in each door, a centre speaker on top of the dash and a woofer under each front seat.

Finally, my advice would be to switch off the 'enhanced' mode - stereo separation and clarity is far better with this mode off.
My only disappointment is there is no graphic equaliser, just bass and treble sliders. That said, a neutral treble setting and one notch positive on the bass setting gives me an ideal balanced sound for most genres of music, so the lack of this feature is probably moot.
during my test drive of the X1, I connected my phone via CarPlay and played the usual piece that I use when test driving German cars... played very loud. seems only appropriate, no? anyway, the Harmon Kardon system sounded pretty good!

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=AXPRH3qr6PI
Preußens Gloria, Berliner Pavillon Orchester

Last edited by DFW1980; 03-18-2023 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 03:01 AM   #24
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1980 View Post
during my test drive of the X1, I connected my phone via CarPlay and played the usual piece that I use when test driving German cars... played very loud. seems only appropriate, no? anyway, the Harmon Kardon system sounded pretty good!

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=AXPRH3qr6PI
Preußens Gloria, Berliner Pavillon Orchester
That's a good choice, but how about the last movement of Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture with full cannons and church bells!
Appreciate 1
Mechta17.50
      03-19-2023, 06:20 PM   #25
DFW1980
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 still at Bremerhaven port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
That's a good choice, but how about the last movement of Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture with full cannons and church bells!
will try again with this piece when my X1 gets delivered soon. I have the actual CD and the uncompressed audio file on my phone.

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=3i...&feature=share
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 12:41 AM   #26
hawaiiguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 MSport

don't know if anyone has seen this from Daily Motor on YouTube

the BEST tier with them is in the 'S' range, followed by 'A', 'B' down to the lowest/low quality sound being in the 'E' range.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 03:48 AM   #27
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Is it just me or is Bass hard to come by on this system?

Tweaked and tweaked and cannot seem to get an acceptable level of bass, I don’t want to it shake the car to pieces but some bass definition would be nice.

There’s no setting to turn the sub woofer up or down which I find strange.

Any ideas, or is it a case of that’s just how it is?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 04:05 AM   #28
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer_H View Post
Is it just me or is Bass hard to come by on this system?

Tweaked and tweaked and cannot seem to get an acceptable level of bass, I don’t want to it shake the car to pieces but some bass definition would be nice.

There’s no setting to turn the sub woofer up or down which I find strange.

Any ideas, or is it a case of that’s just how it is?
I've had 4 BMW's with the HK systems and none of them have had a separate control for the subwoofer.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 04:17 AM   #29
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I've had 4 BMW's with the HK systems and none of them have had a separate control for the subwoofer.
Thanks for confirming, sounds like I’ve done all I can then in terms of tweaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 05:02 AM   #30
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I've just turned the base up and left the treble in the controls, don't think it needs to be any brighter.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 09:58 AM   #31
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 U11

You could run a source that has an EQ
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:15 AM   #32
Petroleum
Private
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationMoon! View Post
You could run a source that has an EQ
alternatively, one can also do what I do.... which is to take a flash drive(USB C) and ONLY put music files that sound great inside the X1's Harmon Kardon system I have over 50gb of such music.... the ones that didn't sound great in the HK system got deleted.

(or just make playlist of such music in whatever streaming music app you prefer)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 09:01 AM   #33
Tazz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50d (2019), BMW X1 20i

I put an 400w Audison as2 sub in the back of my car, which causes the air to vibrate (bass feeling) where the american spare would go, (au get a tyre repair kit and a automatic pump). It makes it so much the sound objectively better than most cars without sounding too bassy. (at 10 it vibrates the air, at 2 is relatively nuetral). Its on par with our x7 B/W diamond surround sound. Audiophiles tend to dislike the bass general consumers like, which is why the x1 sounds good to an audiophile but not their target market.

My only regret is it may cause a tiny amount of rattling from somthing in the trunk (i dont know what but it only happens for songs with phonk, but songs like exes by tate or sunflower from spiderman sound amazing)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 09:23 AM   #34
Petroleum
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
I put an 400w Audison as2 sub in the back of my car, which causes the air to vibrate (bass feeling) where the american spare would go, (au get a tyre repair kit and a automatic pump). It makes it so much the sound objectively better than most cars without sounding too bassy. (at 10 it vibrates the air, at 2 is relatively nuetral). Its on par with our x7 B/W diamond surround sound. Audiophiles tend to dislike the bass general consumers like, which is why the x1 sounds good to an audiophile but not their target market.

My only regret is it may cause a tiny amount of rattling from somthing in the trunk (i dont know what but it only happens for songs with phonk, but songs like exes by tate or sunflower from spiderman sound amazing)
I don't know how to change a flat tire and I always call roadside assistance and let them change it. However, just in case they don't show up for 2 hours, I want to get a flat tyre repair kit. can you take a picture of the kit or give me the part number displayed on the kit? I'd really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 11:06 AM   #35
X1-CT
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

I chose to load up my x1 with literally everything but the HK sound. Now I’m kinda disappointed. The sound is fine. Just not great with the standard. Get the HK.
I really just didn’t like the chrome grills on the door speakers.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 02:36 PM   #36
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1-CT View Post
I chose to load up my x1 with literally everything but the HK sound. Now I’m kinda disappointed. The sound is fine. Just not great with the standard. Get the HK.
I really just didn’t like the chrome grills on the door speakers.
They’re not chrome, they’re matte (and actually metal!)

And of course it’s a personal preference, but I think they give a much better look than the default black plastic
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 04:54 PM   #37
Petroleum
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
They’re not chrome, they’re matte (and actually metal!)

And of course it’s a personal preference, but I think they give a much better look than the default black plastic
thanks for that. I thought they were just plastic with metal color paint. will look closer when I get into the car later. had no idea that those things were metal.
Appreciate 0