BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) how much should I expect my mint '23 to be worth if I trade it in for a '24 X5?

04-24-2024, 08:54 AM   #1
Petroleum
Private
Rep
Drives: German

how much should I expect my mint '23 to be worth if I trade it in for a '24 X5?

how much should I expect my mint '23 to be worth if I trade it in for a '24 X5?

original MSRP on window sticker was a little over $47,000.

'23 X1
6872 miles
black metallic
black interior
M-Sport package
Premium package
19" wheels
remote start via key fob
wood dash trim
heated seats
heated steering wheel

three BMW dealers, including the one where I originally bought the X1, only offered me quotes of $32,000, $33,900 and $35,500. All three rated my X1 as mint condition.(because it still looks like it just left the showroom)

I know I can probably get a little more by selling it myself, but don't have the time and don't want to go through the hassles... or should I?

before anyone asks... thinking about the X5 because I have acquire a couple of medium/large dog with the last few months and the X1 is a little too small for them. I even brought the dogs to the dealership during the test drive. They didn't mind the dogs in the brand new X5. The salesman even said that was the best and only way to see if the X5 would fit my needs(or my dogs' needs)

Last edited by Petroleum; 04-24-2024 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:26 AM   #2
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
Dealers often offer different trade in values. I’d go with the dealer that offers the best overall deal including the New vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:34 AM   #3
Petroleum
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markronnie View Post
Dealers often offer different trade in values. I’d go with the dealer that offers the best overall deal including the New vehicle.
I first researched on this forum... there are a few BMW dealer and non-BMW brokers who offered very reasonable prices. I took those prices and asked my BMW dealer(the one where I bought the X1 last year) They were more than happy to match it... somehow too willing... 7 percent off MSRP. Although they were unable to match my credit union's financing deal which was 3.39% for 72 years with free gap protection and free 7-year extended powertrain-only warranty through Endurance(which I've never heard off.. but it's free, so.... )

I then went to the other two BMW dealers in town. They also agreed to match it, but no lower.

The only real difference now is the trade-in value they place on my existing X1. (which is kind of hard to do from online BMW dealers in another state)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:37 AM   #4
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

Note that second hand baluea have fallen notably smce last year as supply issues have eased and balues post during and just after covid were artificially high.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:02 AM   #5
Petroleum
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
Note that second hand baluea have fallen notably smce last year as supply issues have eased and balues post during and just after covid were artificially high.
guess so... I know how ridiculous the used car prices were during the covid-19 pandemic. I sold my previous car with about 50k miles for $11,000 more than what I expected to a dealer.(without buying a car) In fact, it was almsot $7000(USD) more than the original MSRP price on the window sticker from when I bought it 3 years earlier.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:21 AM   #6
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep so you have to take the rough with the smooth. At least it’s not an iX1 as electric car values have fared even worse!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:26 AM   #7
Petroleum
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep so you have to take the rough with the smooth. At least it’s not an iX1 as electric car values have fared even worse!
we don't have access to the iX1 in the US. how much do they depreciate in the UK or EU? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 12:43 PM   #8
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep

More than petrol or diesel, but hard to be specific.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 04:16 PM   #9
Petroleum
Private
Rep

Quote:
had another chat with my BMW salesman a couple of hours ago. apparently they can go even lower than 8% below MSRP...but trade-in value on the X1 can't go any higher. the reason is that the pre-owned X1 is extremely difficult to sell in my market. They currently have over a dozen on the lot. Half of them have been sitting around since Christmas. (compared to pre-owned X3, 330i, X5 or even 430i Gran Coupe, which usually get sold within a month or two at the most)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:35 AM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroleum View Post
had another chat with my BMW salesman a couple of hours ago. apparently they can go even lower than 8% below MSRP...but trade-in value on the X1 can't go any higher. the reason is that the pre-owned X1 is extremely difficult to sell in my market. They currently have over a dozen on the lot. Half of them have been sitting around since Christmas. (compared to pre-owned X3, 330i, X5 or even 430i Gran Coupe, which usually get sold within a month or two at the most)
It makes sense that it's hard to sell a very low mileage pre-owned X1, when it's already the brand's entry model. If the dealer's sale price is anywhere near the price for a new one, why not get a new one?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 07:20 AM   #11
Petroleum
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
It makes sense that it's hard to sell a very low mileage pre-owned X1, when it's already the brand's entry model. If the dealer's sale price is anywhere near the price for a new one, why not get a new one?
for all the extra monies that I will have to spend to upgrade, I can easily get a nice used large pick-up truck which will please my dogs even more... so that's what I decided to do. (on top of that, a real pick-up truck will be very handy since I'm no redoing my backyard and planting lots of new trees, shrubs, etc)

I'll save my money for when it's time to trade in my X1 in a few years. Perhaps a nice 4-series convertible?(which will definitely make my dogs super happy)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 07:47 AM   #12
Petroleum
Private
Rep

Quote:
in the UK, which used or pre-owned BMW is generally more desirable? petrol, diesel or EV?
Appreciate 0