BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Question re: touch operation of interior reading lights

04-24-2024, 11:38 AM   #1
Buschyfor3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1, 2007 328i coupe

Question re: touch operation of interior reading lights

New X1 owner here (but not new to BMW as a brand). Model in question is a US market 2023 X1 xdrive28i.

Question: on the overhead console (i.e. where the pano roof switch is located) how do you get the touch-sensitive reading lamps, dome light, and the interior lighting menu button to work?

I cannot for the life of me get any of the reading lamps to turn on by touching/swiping/tapping the icon next to each light, nor can I get into the interior lighting menu by touching the icon on the overhead console. These touch sensitive buttons don't seem to respond to anything I've tried. The icons for these buttons are illuminated, and I know the actual reading lamps work because I can go in through iDrive and access the interior lighting menu and individually turn each light on/off through the central display screen (or by using the voice commands). But the physical touch-sensitive point for the reading lamp just doesn't seem to respond.

Anyone else seen/have this issue? Resolution? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 12:47 PM   #2
Tunners
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) 30e M Sport

I have just tried it and just a touch and the reading lights come on.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 12:56 PM   #3
Buschyfor3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunners View Post
I have just tried it and just a touch and the reading lights come on.
Thank you for the reply. Are you touching on the icon for the lamp? Or on the actual lens for the lamp?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 01:10 PM   #4
Tunners
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) 30e M Sport

Just on the icon for the lamp, only a light touch and it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 03:02 PM   #5
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
did you try touching the light itself?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 09:16 AM   #6
Buschyfor3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
did you try touching the light itself?
I did try that too. I've tried touching on the icon, on the lamp lens itself, to either side of it, long press, short press, quick tap, etc. Can't get it to respond.

Interestingly enough, I was looking on YouTube to see if anyone else had posted a video of something similar happening, and I came across someone doing a review of the interior lighting/accent lighting including the reading lamps on the overhead console. The video was in French (which unfortunately I'm only fluent to the extent of knowing the names of football clubs there), but the reviewer appeared to encounter the same issue - the reading lamps were already on and he repeatedly tapped/touched the icon and lamp itself on the overhead console to turn them off and they wouldn't respond.

Happens at the 4:36 mark:

Will be at the dealership in a week or so for a software update, maybe that has something to do with it? At this point I'm simply perplexed.
Appreciate 0